Reciprocating Mass

rino's Avatar Picture rino – December 09, 2007 05:14AM Reply Quote
As started by Binky in land of old ...

Binky
A place to discuss your wheels!

"Use your wheels, that is what they are for." - Hawkwind

John Willoughby – November 13, 2015 04:37PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Despite counting down to the moment for a month, despite elaborate preparations, my wife did not get my daughter to her road test in time. Rescheduled for next week. Sigh.

Cloudscout – November 22, 2015 05:37AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Okay, I loved my Outback but had a nagging bit of buyer's remorse when I realized how limiting it would be with towing capacity. We would like to get a pop-up camper which is difficult with an Outback since it's limited to 2700 pounds... and anything over 1000 pounds requires having an electronic brake controller installed.

So, after 9 months, I traded it in. I now have a 2016 Jeep Cherokee.

John Willoughby – November 22, 2015 09:35AM Reply Quote
So, we now have a Mazda CX-5 and a Subaru Legacy. So far, very happy with them, except that the Mazda's navigations system occasionally won't start up until its data SD card is extracted and replaced.

Cloudscout – November 22, 2015 12:27PM Reply Quote
The nav system in my Outback quit completely a few weeks ago and I had been waiting for them to get parts to fix it... they needed to replace the entire stereo unit, apparently. It was scheduled to have the new stereo installed this Wednesday but it's no longer an issue, obviously.

What year is your Legacy?

John Willoughby – November 22, 2015 05:37PM Reply Quote
My Legacy is the 2016 3.6. I feel ashamed not to have gotten one of the models with better mileage, but the one thing that the reviews all dinged the standard model for was mediocre performance.

Cloudscout – November 22, 2015 05:42PM Reply Quote
We returned the 2016 Legacy that we had as a loaner yesterday. It was the 2.5 but had noticeably better performance than my Outback with the same engine. If I were to buy another Outback, I'd definitely go for the 6 cylinder as well. The mileage hit really isn't that big.

Cloudscout – November 25, 2015 11:30AM Reply Quote
JW,

If you experience problems with the voice recognition system taking forever to initialize every time you start the car, there are two things to do:

1) Turn OFF the feature where it downloads the address book from your Bluetooth phone.
2) Unplug your iPod.

When I first got the car, I really liked the integration features but I found that voice recognition wouldn't work when I started the car. Sometimes it would take over 5 minutes before it would accept voice commands. The primary culprit was the address book sync. It's like it has to go through your entire address book to figure out how to pronounce every name each time. Same with iPods... it would go through your catalog and figure out all of the artists, albums, etc.

El Jeffe – November 25, 2015 11:35AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
too many friends

John Willoughby – November 25, 2015 11:35AM Reply Quote
I don't use VR often. At least, not yet. It's great to be able to turn the left blinker on by voice, but I prefer the old fashioned way. I'm actually a little daunted at all of the possibilities in the manual. How do you use it, other than to make calls? I'm sure that there's tons of uses that I haven't considered.

Thanks for the info, though, it will save me time when I jump into that pool!

Cloudscout – November 25, 2015 01:10PM Reply Quote
I mainly use it for making calls. In the Jeep, I've also been using it for selecting music from my iPod since the catalog is a bit too large to navigate manually.

johnny k – November 25, 2015 02:55PM Reply Quote
I use voice mostly to jump between audio sources - better than blindly fumbling with a crappy touchscreen. It's always a failure at calling people so I never do that. It cannot recognize the names of the two people I ever call, and instead calls someone else in my address book without confirmation. Also nice to have it read text messages when they come in. Biggest wish for it would be to seamlessly set navigation for addresses or points of interest other than favorites that I've saved and named (because how often do I need directions home?).

Cloudscout – November 25, 2015 05:02PM Reply Quote
Johnny, instead of using the car's voice recognition for dialing numbers, just tell it to call Cortana... then you can ask Cortana to call whomever you want. She's much better at recognition than most cars.

bahamut – November 28, 2015 04:49AM Reply Quote
I don't use my BMW's VR at all. I use Siri.

johnny k – December 06, 2015 09:35AM Reply Quote
Cloud scout, I've never been able to get that to work. Even after I added Cortana manually to my address book, it'd just happily call some other person (without confirming).

Anyway, I'm moving to iOS soon, and perfect timing: Ford Offers Apple Siri® Eyes-Free To Millions Of Vehicles Globally Through Sync® Software Update

They were the last automaker I thought would play nice with Apple. Awesome that it's an update for existing cars. Now if I can only get that update to work... even though the car has Wifi, it makes you use a thumb drive.

ddt – December 06, 2015 09:57AM Reply Quote
Do you think Ford will offer a hybrid Fiesta in a year or so? That would be the sweet spot for me. Well, a hybrid Fiesta RS with AWD that also got great mileage, but baby steps.

ddt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2015 09:58AM by ddt.

El Jeffe – December 06, 2015 10:38AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
STs are to this point manual-only. Hybrid manual... I don't see.
They are fun little cars.

El Jeffe – February 13, 2016 12:29PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
to go along with the water bottle that was damaged in the fender bender, I ordered and got a new driving (fog) light.
Replaced that today. Actually requires no fasteners, unless I am missing something. Just snaps in.
Then, moved on to the multi-function stalk (aka turn signal) for the van. Last week the left turn stopped automatically DIS-engaging after a turn.

http://imgur.com/a/eJwrg

Cloudscout – February 25, 2016 09:30AM Reply Quote

Cloudscout – February 25, 2016 09:33AM Reply Quote
Well, perhaps not *major* in that the potential impact seems to be relatively limited in scope at this point but still a stupid design and another example of poor security practices that are far too common these days.

John Willoughby – February 25, 2016 10:54AM Reply Quote
Nissan's taken down their server, so now nobody can use the remote features.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login