As started by Binky in land of old ...

Binky
A place to discuss your wheels!

"Use your wheels, that is what they are for." - Hawkwind

El Jeffe – September 10, 2015 04:26AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
well, it WAS seemingly Tongue-in-cheek.
:)

I still have in my fuel tracking notepad, when I saw 85¢ per (US) gallon gas AFTER 9/11/2001! Which if you'll recall gas prices soared after 9/11.
85¢, blew my mind.

$1.93 per gallon is almost doing that as well.

But, I see this as political move, in some ways.

John Willoughby – September 10, 2015 09:21AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I feel that lower gas prices are a temporary situation and are reducing the rate of progress towards renewable energy sources. And reliance on petroleum is tying our politics to a region of the world that I want nothing further to do with.

Cloudscout – September 10, 2015 07:15PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Yeah, I worry a bit about the lower prices. I'm glad that it relieves some pain for lower-income people but, as you point out, it de-emphasizes alternative energy development.

ddt – September 10, 2015 07:51PM Reply Quote
Not to mention screws with tax revenue projections -- or leaves accounts earmarked for things like road and bridge upkeep in peril.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – September 11, 2015 04:55PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

El Jeffe – September 11, 2015 05:20PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
does anything reciprocate in those thar' 'lectric cars?

Mokers (Moderator) – September 11, 2015 07:30PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Cheap gas prices usually means more driving and since the amount of tax revenue isn't being reduced per gallon, it should actually increase tax revenues as compared to higher gas and fewer miles. Like many other commodities, the high gas prices mainly affect people on the poorer end of the income scale. Most people are going to use their gas savings to buy other things they need, so it's probably at worst revenue neutral over the long haul. Obviously the calculus changes if you live in an area with lots of energy producers. Lower costs mean less energy extracted locally, meaning less money for payroll, parts, transportation, marketing. But overall I will take the lower gas prices. Lower energy costs also mean it will be easier for companies to manufacture locally.

Internal combustion, however, will be with us for a long time. I think we will get cleaner fuels, but there is still a lot of efficiency to eek out of gasoline as well.

ddt – September 11, 2015 07:45PM Reply Quote
Definitely we can reduce the effects of gasoline use w/o getting rid of gas -- and regulations that way can have cost benefits across the board (check out Table 4: http://web.mit.edu/ckolstad/www/Newell.pdf -- on the enacting of regulating leaded gasoline and the savings in health costs).

ddt

El Jeffe – September 12, 2015 03:30AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
i think petroleum in the long run might be necessary for things such as our FIGHTER jets. Commercially traveling public jets ... why are they not grounded NOW or taxes raised by 1,000 percent as these are mostly the rich amongst us, and/or can be supplanted by SKYPE. Obama should decree tomorrow that all federal employees that CAN remote in to work, must do so by end of year to curtail emissions. another thread....perhaps... but that would put money where mouth is...

bahamut – September 12, 2015 06:33PM Reply Quote
Cheap gas may indeed be political. It crushes both Iran and Russia.

El Jeffe – September 13, 2015 01:59AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
that was my take

John Willoughby – September 30, 2015 07:27AM Reply Quote
I'm now looking at a Toyota Avalon hybrid for my next car. Boring, hybrid, comfortable, quiet. I am transitioning into "Old Fart" mode.

My wife's 9-year-old minivan is dying. Any recommendations for her next car? Her three priorities are mileage, comfort, and carrying capacity. In that order. She'd be open to minivan, crossover, SUV or maybe sedan. She often needs to transfer kids, so rear seat room is important, but massive cargo space isn't.

Thanks, o ye learned of auto lore.

ddt – September 30, 2015 07:32AM Reply Quote
Well, then the Ford Transit Connect isn't what she's looking for (though I find those micro-cargo wagons soooo awesome).

There's going to be a Ford Focus Hybrid for 2016, I just saw. That's going to be more sporty than an Avalon and can have a hatch (better for kids and kids stuff)? You said the Cmax didn't have enough space inside?

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – September 30, 2015 07:37AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
How much is carrying capacity? are we talking 5 passengers total? 7?

John Willoughby – September 30, 2015 08:36AM Reply Quote
My Car:
I'm looking at a Ford Fusion hybrid as my runner up. I'll look at the Focus, too. Yeah, the Leaf is actually very spacious inside and the C-Max seemed cramped by comparison. It could still be good enough, because I like it a lot in other ways, so it's my second runner up.

Wife's Car:
I think she'd like five comfortably, but would take four comfortably and five uncomfortably.

John Willoughby – September 30, 2015 10:40AM Reply Quote
ddt, I'm not seeing a Focus hybrid, just an all-electric. Am I missing something, or did you? There's the Fusion hybrid, of course...

ddt – September 30, 2015 12:22PM Reply Quote
JW, you're totally correct. I had a brain fart (which cannot, sadly, fuel a CNG car). For some reason, I seem to look around Fusions, perhaps from lack of interest.

ddt

John Willoughby – September 30, 2015 12:24PM Reply Quote
No problem at all, just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing an option.

El Jeffe – October 07, 2015 12:08AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I never knew/noticed how CHEAP banners can be had for!

$15 vista print of me driving the Ferrari FF in March is just the thing I need!!! :)

2.5 feet by 6 feet (and various other dimensions)

$15 !!!

But their checkout process is a bit like what I envision godaddy's to be. a gauntlet of offers to buy, and landlines of accidental buttons to push, promos to sign up for.. .et al

but $15!!!!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login