Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

Reciprocating Mass

rino's Avatar Picture rino – December 09, 2007 05:14AM Reply Quote
As started by Binky in land of old ...

Binky
A place to discuss your wheels!

"Use your wheels, that is what they are for." - Hawkwind

ddt – September 04, 2017 04:14AM Reply Quote
On H&CF, Cameron's... repairing? restoring? (that bike model wasn't vintage at the time of the show) a Honda CB-1. Loooove that bike.

ddt

ddt – September 04, 2017 08:39AM Reply Quote
Though later she mentions quickly that it's a dirt bike? So not the case. The CB-1 name means "city bike 1". And it's low, not much travel.

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – September 07, 2017 07:59AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Jeffe, really enjoy seeing you having funs in all things with wheels. I know you put in a lot of work at your job and raising your kids and glad you found something to fill up the time now that they are leaving you a slightly emptier nest.

Edit (also totaly jealous!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 07:59AM by Mokers.

El Jeffe – September 07, 2017 08:13AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I almost feel like a race (no pun) against the clock. I think there will easily be a time when I am unable to enjoy such things. Matter of fact, in a very poignant "talk" my wife asked me "when will you know you're unable to do this type of stuff safely?" ... very uncharacteristically of her. But as I got off the Honda enduro (off road bike) guy next to me told me that recently he did an off road event and one guy was 74. I do feel guilty that I could be doing more with my time at church, or with other family, etc. At least it's far less expensive than my BUYING some big-ticket toy/car, etc. most events I do are free, and just have to pay to get my butt to it/them. And I try to couple that with meeting up or a mini-vacation with family, etc. on the surface, most people are amazed some of these I do cost nothing, and I'm not persuaded to buy a car or something. But, for the most part, it's all free.

El Jeffe – September 07, 2017 10:17AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I met my motel next door neighbors. They have a blog. This is their latest entry about car week. http://www.theloudpedalblog.com/the-loud-pedal-news/2017/9/4/car-week-on-a-budget

bahamut – September 10, 2017 06:16PM Reply Quote
So weird. I like cars but a few years ago a wedding put us into car week in Monterey and it was seriously annoying.

ddt – September 10, 2017 06:56PM Reply Quote
I've only been there as a kid, and it was a great venue for a lot of running around outside, seeing some future-ish cars (still remember the Vector W2, I think). What was annoying, baha?

Q: if the offers are comparable, is there any downside to taking car-being-totaled payment from the insurance company of the kid who hit me, rather than from my own? I'll have to make a decision. Does this close out any future options? Affect a future rate?

ddt

dharlow – September 10, 2017 07:14PM Reply Quote
Pretty much found out that dealing with the other person's insurance always came back to haunt us, after the last accident I now basically only talk to mine and let them deal with the other company.

El Jeffe – September 11, 2017 12:03AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
agreed.

ddt – September 11, 2017 04:17AM Reply Quote
Sorry to hear there were pains in the asses. What happened?

ddt

dharlow – September 11, 2017 05:41PM Reply Quote
Delayed payment to their own "approved" shop, wanted us to "share" fault, even though it was a rear end accident.

ddt – September 11, 2017 06:45PM Reply Quote
Oh, that sucks. In my case, the car is a total (both companies say so) and both companies agree it's 100% the other driver's fault -- but they could still screw around with some stuff like that.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – September 11, 2017 06:51PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Get it all in writing, ddt. A verbal contract is worth the paper it's printed on...

bahamut – September 13, 2017 05:29PM Reply Quote
I dunno, annoying car people. Nowhere to park.

bahamut – October 05, 2017 12:54PM Reply Quote
SPLAT! I just had to pay nearly $4k for a new clutch for my 3 series. Damn it, it's the car's second clutch at 49,000 miles! I have never, ever driven a car without a clutch and have generally had them last much longer (hard to say for sure since I bought a lot of those cars used and in one case, I needed a new clutch after a week, in some other cases I never needed a new clutch, etc). The first time the clutch went it was a clutch slave cylinder leaking and BMW replaced it gratis. This time I had to pay. F00KERS!

My hunch, which I won't be able to prove, is that there is either some design defect in something in the clutch apparatus or the second one was installed incorrectly. :/

El Jeffe – October 05, 2017 01:44PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I think that's more that what my last Sunday car wreck that totaled out today will be. 2011 Camry worth less than your clutch. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2017 01:44PM by El Jeffe.

John Willoughby – October 05, 2017 01:59PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Everybody okay, El Jeffe?

El Jeffe – October 05, 2017 03:01PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Yes. I made it sound worse that it was. What seemed to be a small parking lot curb "KISS" resulted in just the right combination of steering and suspension damage that it adds up. I was going to trade it in this week on something and had offers from $2500 to $3000. So, not worth that much I guess.

ddt – October 05, 2017 03:28PM Reply Quote
Ouch and sorry to hear -- as someone who just had a car totaled. Maybe the insurance will be above the trade-in value?

My 1990 Saab's clutch lived well through years in Colorado, until my ex learned to drive stick on it.

ddt

ddt – October 06, 2017 09:46AM Reply Quote
Naive question: what's the difference between "certified pre-owned" and "used", especially when the "used" is being sold from a dealer?

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login