Spork Boards

That's right, Mr. Meader- don't look here for thoze rum0rz...

Simon's Avatar Picture Simon – December 19, 2007 11:49PM Reply Quote
Yet Another Transplant Thread (credit to Brian Miller for the original) (and Robert Taylor for the 2nd edition)

So, when do you expect to see the next 21-slot G5 subnotebook with built-in antigravity? Or do you have other things to complain about regarding the Mac rum0rz press?

ARL (Moderator) – September 27, 2016 04:13PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
John Willoughby
A good omen for the future.

Indeed. What does it say that my first thought was this was being said in sarcasm?

John Willoughby – October 03, 2016 11:08AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I wonder if Apple would ever sell an iCloud/Apple Music local cache server. Something to keep your documents/photos/music local to your network, but on the back end back them up to iCloud and cache new content as it is used by local users. Kind of a network-level Fusion drive, with the cloud acting as the fixed disk and your local cache server as the SSD.

Just differing from regular NAS storage with iCloud integration and (presumably) invisible UI to Apple users and (also presumably) less flexability in configuation and usage.

Maybe even Apple could sell that kind of "private cloud" server that some companies sell... rather than connecting to Apple, your devices connect to your personal cloud. Use iCloud for encrypted backup only.

I'm sure that most/all of this has already been done, but I'd like to see something fit for mainstream consumers.

johnny k – October 03, 2016 12:10PM Reply Quote
"network-level Fusion drive" is a nice way to put it. If Apple were to do it, it'd be an invisible part of the Apple TV/Time Machine/theoretical Siri hub hardware. Don't/didn't they already do something similar in downloading system updates once so that machines on the local network didn't have to reach back up to Apple's servers? Might've only been a Server feature.

John Willoughby – October 03, 2016 12:11PM Reply Quote
johnny k
Might've only been a Server feature.

Either it is, or I haven't got it enabled. All of our local machines download upgrades independently.

dharlow – October 03, 2016 12:20PM Reply Quote
I would be nice to have a appliance, but I actually run a Mac Mini Server with OS X Server to cache iCloud data, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204675

It really is nice.

John Willoughby – October 03, 2016 01:10PM Reply Quote
Hmm. A lot of the content caching is iOS only, but interesting start. I've got a Mac mini lying around, but it may be too old to update to Sierra.

[EDIT]

Oops, does macOS docs and photos, too. I misread. So much the better!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2016 01:23PM by John Willoughby.

John Willoughby – October 03, 2016 01:27PM Reply Quote
(Forgot to add: Thanks, dharlow!)

El Jeffe – October 03, 2016 02:22PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
John Willoughby
I wonder if Apple would ever sell an iCloud/Apple Music local cache server. Something to keep your documents/photos/music local to your network, but on the back end back them up to iCloud and cache new content as it is used by local users. Kind of a network-level Fusion drive, with the cloud acting as the fixed disk and your local cache server as the SSD.

Just differing from regular NAS storage with iCloud integration and (presumably) invisible UI to Apple users and (also presumably) less flexability in configuation and usage.

Maybe even Apple could sell that kind of "private cloud" server that some companies sell... rather than connecting to Apple, your devices connect to your personal cloud. Use iCloud for encrypted backup only.

I'm sure that most/all of this has already been done, but I'd like to see something fit for mainstream consumers.

Recalling Apple's early investment in Akamai Technologies, their caching heuristics would be a great start.

dharlow – October 03, 2016 03:51PM Reply Quote
If you can run Server 5.x via El Capitan on the older Mac Mini it should be fine. It literally is the only thing I use OS X Server for on my network. I have the Server running a local Crashplan ProE server and Plex too and they all seem to coexist nicely.

johnny k – October 04, 2016 05:50AM Reply Quote
Sweet! Thanks, Daniel. That's everything I want. Well, any recommendations for a server for PoE cameras that'll run on the Mac mini?

Now that botnets are largely cheap Chinese cameras, the challenge is now to find secure security cameras.

tomierna (Admin) – October 04, 2016 05:56AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I use SecuritySpy for my security camera server on a mini.

I didn't see it implicitly answered above, macOS Server does do Mac and iOS software caching. I use it at home and the office. After the first update, the rest of the machines get it at LAN speed. Pretty great.

The network-level Fusion server is a fantastic idea, JW. You should submit it to Apple.

John Willoughby – October 04, 2016 07:34AM Reply Quote
tomierna
The network-level Fusion server is a fantastic idea, JW. You should submit it to Apple.

Tim Cook no longer takes my calls, after a disturbing incident which ended with me scream-crying "BBW MBP! BBW MBP!" into the phone.

John Willoughby – October 23, 2016 05:50PM Reply Quote
Woah. Long rumored, it's finally here.. I'm guessing we're going to see Macs with insane battery life and no backward compatibility before too long.

Mokers (Moderator) – October 24, 2016 05:48AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Return of the bake-offs!

johnny k – October 24, 2016 06:19AM Reply Quote
As long as it also includes which machine you can bake cookies on quickest.

John Willoughby – October 24, 2016 07:07AM Reply Quote
Samsung Galaxy Note 7, no question.

ARL (Moderator) – October 24, 2016 04:34PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I'm happy as that seems to imply they're not throwing MacOS under the iOS bus...

More interesting would be the possibility of jailbreaking an iPad to run an ARM version of MacOS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2016 04:36PM by ARL.

bahamut – October 27, 2016 06:02AM Reply Quote
Well there's a disaster in the works.

Throw away all usable ports, throw away Windows and Boot Camp, throw away backwards compatibility. Remember how well PowerPC worked out for you?

As I understand it the i7, which is what's in my MBP is still way way faster than the fastest ARM processor.

The battery in my Macbook Pro lasts long enough, thank you. I no longer commute across the country weekly on planes. And when I am on a plane, half the time it has a power adapter under the seat.

Most places have AC power. I don't like to work in cafés.

johnny k – October 27, 2016 06:42AM Reply Quote
It's kinda the reverse of the Microsoft Surface strategy. Push ARM up instead of Intel down.

Listened to a bit of ATP and Siracusa made a good point: "Hello again, again" on the invites creates expectations that something on the level of the Mac 128K or iMac will be announced, and ARM is the only rumor that might fit. And we should all be afraid. We want a Benz pickup truck, and they're fixated on giving us a self-driving person transport. (Literally and metaphorically.)

John Willoughby – March 12, 2017 07:04AM Reply Quote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login