Spork Boards

That's right, Mr. Meader- don't look here for thoze rum0rz...

Simon's Avatar Picture Simon – December 19, 2007 11:49PM Reply Quote
Yet Another Transplant Thread (credit to Brian Miller for the original) (and Robert Taylor for the 2nd edition)

So, when do you expect to see the next 21-slot G5 subnotebook with built-in antigravity? Or do you have other things to complain about regarding the Mac rum0rz press?

porruka (Admin) – June 02, 2016 09:12PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
ARL

(He types, on a 10 year old Cinema Display...)

I rest my case...

I don't really think it does support your point since I'm running a $110 display port to dual-link dvi adapter in order to run it.

If there's no passthrough mode (that is, you are stuck with that GPU and that GPU _only_ for the life of the panel) I may have to concede a point or two, given Apple's poor history with GPU providers.

Otherwise, you don't upgrade the panel in-place. You replace or buy an adapter -- that, since this is speculation in the first place, I additionally speculate won't change. What will change is that Apple will be giving people a reason to buy Apple monitors again while reducing the pressure to solve the monster GPU in a wafer-thin laptop enclosure problem.

John Willoughby – June 03, 2016 07:55AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
porruka
wafer-thin laptop

3367.jpg

porruka (Admin) – June 03, 2016 08:11AM Reply Quote
JW: Exactly.

John Willoughby – June 03, 2016 09:05AM Reply Quote
Not this WWDC, allegedly.

porruka (Admin) – June 03, 2016 11:56AM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
Not this WWDC, allegedly.

Too bad.

James DeBenedetti – June 03, 2016 02:45PM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – June 04, 2016 04:52PM Reply Quote
Drive a 4K monitor from a 2016 USB-C MacBook now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2016 04:53PM by John Willoughby.

ARL (Moderator) – July 17, 2016 06:32PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/technology/mobiles/apples-iphone-7-purportedly-shown-off-in-new-video-20160718-gq7v8s.html

Looks like it's still thick enough to have a headphone jack but they chose not to, because Apple...

John Willoughby – August 05, 2016 08:39PM Reply Quote
"Twitterers, twitterers, twitterers!" Ballmer wants to buy Twitter?

John Willoughby – August 08, 2016 08:00AM Reply Quote
New MacBook "Pro" rumors. Thinner, OLED strip, Touch ID.

Sigh. Really questioning retaining the word "Pro" in the laptop name. "The professional's laptop for typing, browsing and watching media. If you want to do any REAL work, buy a Windows machine!"

johnny k – August 08, 2016 12:58PM Reply Quote
What's not Pro about these rumors? As long as there's a discrete GPU option...

Jeff Cooper – August 08, 2016 12:59PM Reply Quote
New Watch rumors. Give me GPS, and I'm in.

ARL (Moderator) – August 08, 2016 06:01PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Thinner = crippled. And not in a "handicapable" sense. Much much worse.

In a smaller, tighter enclosure I don't see how CPUs and GPUs can do serious work other than touting battery-life and energy efficiency (providing you're just typing).

At this point if they should pimp out an iPad Pro with better connectivity (I'd cope with several usb ports and a headphone jack) and port MacOS to ARM and be done with it.

God, I hope the industrial design anorexia doesn't make my next (and probably last) iMac upgrade completely unusable.

Never buying another Mac laptop. Ill probably stick with iOS but I can see me reluctantly moving to other platforms for desktop/laptop in the next 5 years. No more Kool-Aid.

This from a Mac user for over 32 years. That makes me very sad.

John Willoughby – August 08, 2016 07:02PM Reply Quote
Yep. I might someday buy a MacBook, if my MacBook Air falls too far behind the curve, but I don't see getting another MBP with these design priorities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2016 07:02PM by John Willoughby.

bahamut – August 09, 2016 04:23AM Reply Quote
Thank God my new IMac is serviceable. My flagship MBP can't really even surf the web.

ARL (Moderator) – August 09, 2016 04:39PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
How is Apple getting away with this massive con?

I'm seriously considering making a complaint with Fair trading or the ACCC about deceptive practices and misleading advertising.

John Willoughby – August 10, 2016 07:35AM Reply Quote
They make what they make. They can call it "Pro" if they want to. They aren't lying about the specs. The fact that it is utterly not what I want in a laptop is not their problem. Of course, if sales start to plummet then it WILL be their problem. And mine, as a shareholder. I still don't think that they will be violating any US law or trading practices. Are things different Down Under? (Does the polychromatic beachball cursor spin in the opposite direction?)

ARL (Moderator) – August 10, 2016 02:56PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

(Does the polychromatic beachball cursor spin in the opposite direction?)

Heh. No, we get a big boot.

I was talking about their claims, still on the website, about graphics performance. I quite genuinely don't get how they managed to even complete the tests without the circuit board melting down.

I also think their battery life claims regarding video are misleading, if not outright deceptive.

Aside from the speed bump provided by the SSD, I can't think of anything that makes the machine feel "pro-like".

James DeBenedetti – September 15, 2016 09:51PM Reply Quote
After next month's refresh, it looks like no significant CPU upgrades are due for the 15" MBP ("H" class processors) until 2019.

http://wccftech.com/intel-roadmap-kaby-lake-coffee-lake-cannonlake-leak/

[edit] It looks like the H-series may have a 6-core option in mid-2018, so that would be an improvement - if Apple actually uses that variant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2016 09:58PM by James DeBenedetti.

johnny k – September 16, 2016 03:32AM Reply Quote
That's a gap wide enough to drive a transition to ARM through. What would a Mac-class ARM chip be that an A-series isn't? Crank up the power, hopefully still support discrete GPU.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login