Spork Boards

That's right, Mr. Meader- don't look here for thoze rum0rz...

Simon's Avatar Picture Simon – December 20, 2007 04:49AM Reply Quote
Yet Another Transplant Thread (credit to Brian Miller for the original) (and Robert Taylor for the 2nd edition)

So, when do you expect to see the next 21-slot G5 subnotebook with built-in antigravity? Or do you have other things to complain about regarding the Mac rum0rz press?

Mokers (Moderator) – May 11, 2016 05:55PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin

Apple is also said to be considering ending music downloads due to the confusion it causes with Apple Music, mixing downloaded music purchases with Apple Music content

Yeah, all of those poor souls demanding Apple Music and can't get it working...

I've been buying most music through Amazon for a while. Not as good of a selection and a terrible interface, but at least I own the music.

John Willoughby – May 11, 2016 06:06PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
"We made an awful interface, and we can't figure out how to fix it, so we're eliminating features until it works."

Seems like the RIAA will be awfully happy with this move. Continuous income from all music listeners, regardless of how much or how little music they listen to. The minute they stop paying, all their music goes away.

ARL (Moderator) – May 11, 2016 07:40PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Apple managing to sell DRM-free music downloads was one of it's greatest achievements of the previous decade.

I can't imagine Jobs approving of this.

Off the rails...

porruka (Admin) – May 12, 2016 12:34AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
The link has been updated with Apple saying "not true" but it could be a parsing of the specific claim ("two years") vs stopping downloads.

El Jeffe – May 12, 2016 06:20AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
it seemed odd/questionable to me. Mainly from how hard it is NOW for Apple to do any major change in this realm. class action

Jeff Cooper – May 12, 2016 07:30AM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
"We made an awful interface, and we can't figure out how to fix it, so we're eliminating features until it works."

Pretty much captures it. I like the all-access features of Apple Music, but from a design/usability standpoint the service is an unholy mess, especially when it comes to integration with the iTunes Library and iTunes Match (example: iTunes Match doesn't work from the computer with my main iTunes library). Going subscription-only is a terrible solution, however.

johnny k – May 12, 2016 08:27AM Reply Quote
Not going to happen. That'll be the quickest way to lose any iTunes ecosystem. Unless all those Match problems are completely fixed in "2-4 years".

El Jeffe – May 12, 2016 09:40AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I still like iMovie version 1

johnny k – May 12, 2016 10:03AM Reply Quote
You'll be able to emulate it on your new iPhone.

John Willoughby – May 13, 2016 08:24PM Reply Quote
Maybe Apple's just moving towards streaming-music-only because by then all of your local music will be deleted anyway.

In an extremely small number of cases users have reported that music files saved on their computer were removed without their permission. We’re taking these reports seriously as we know how important music is to our customers and our teams are focused on identifying the cause. We have not been able to reproduce this issue, however, we’re releasing an update to iTunes early next week which includes additional safeguards. If a user experiences this issue they should contact AppleCare.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 08:25PM by John Willoughby.

El Jeffe – May 14, 2016 06:59AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
SNORT

John Willoughby – May 23, 2016 11:38PM Reply Quote

James DeBenedetti – May 29, 2016 01:19AM Reply Quote
Interesting rumor on Apple's current (and expected future) GPU supplier:

http://hardocp.com/article/2016/05/27/from_ati_to_amd_back_journey_in_futility#.V0qJqlcddE4

ARL (Moderator) – May 29, 2016 07:26PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Sigh... so depressing. I bet Apple will help them polish that turd...

porruka (Admin) – June 01, 2016 03:15PM Reply Quote
The pool is aswirl with the possibility of this: https://medium.com/@Marc.Morissette/how-apple-could-make-a-great-5k-thunderbolt-display-299433fda27e#.p9n35945j

Won't help JW but could be quite an interesting approach for the rest of us.

John Willoughby – June 01, 2016 05:08PM Reply Quote
Yep, that's kind of one jump ahead of Razer's external GPU solution. I hate it. "Crappy graphics in your lap, great graphics at your desk" is not the solution for me (as you noted). Neither fish nor fowl, though foul indeed.

ARL (Moderator) – June 01, 2016 07:03PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
A monitor with built in obsolescence? Terrible idea.

porruka (Admin) – June 02, 2016 01:01AM Reply Quote
ARL
A monitor with built in obsolescence? Terrible idea.

And how often, exactly, have you upgraded your monitors internals and/or resolution with the existing models?

And how is the lifecycle of those monitors with Apple Display Connector? Or DVI for that matter? (He types, on a 10 year old Cinema Display...)

I understand your point that certain improvements at a given resolution (*cough* frame rate *cough*) might happen with a new machine, but really that depends on the price of the monitor as to whether it's a big deal to replace it if that one benefit is of the upmost importance to you.

Really though, I speculate that any monitor of this style will also have a passthrough mode, completely negating the CurmudgeonBit™ that you're setting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2016 12:43PM by porruka.

ARL (Moderator) – June 02, 2016 08:07PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

(He types, on a 10 year old Cinema Display...)

I rest my case...

johnny k – June 02, 2016 11:06PM Reply Quote
I'm still using a Dell screen from 2005 (conveniently part of the model name). It's been great and I'll probably buy another when it finally gives up the ghost. Matching my Mac is just not worth the 2x premium (and that's only if you want the model that uses the same quality panels as Apple). I also have a Cinema Display but those frayed integrated cables are probably going to break before the Dell does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2016 11:07PM by johnny k.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login