Spork Boards

That's right, Mr. Meader- don't look here for thoze rum0rz...

Simon's Avatar Picture Simon – December 19, 2007 11:49PM Reply Quote
Yet Another Transplant Thread (credit to Brian Miller for the original) (and Robert Taylor for the 2nd edition)

So, when do you expect to see the next 21-slot G5 subnotebook with built-in antigravity? Or do you have other things to complain about regarding the Mac rum0rz press?

El Jeffe – February 14, 2015 06:39PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
again, my vision of autonomous cars should eliminate cars, houses, and national borders. It will be great.

Alan Lehman – February 14, 2015 08:18PM Reply Quote
Gosh, if I had realized how much money there was to be made on the internet way back in the day I'd have registered a few domain names proactively and started a business or two.

It's going to be a world of self driving cars sooner than we think. So here we are with our next chance to think ahead.

What new markets are going to emerge to make it all happen? How are traffic laws going to change? How are roads/cities going to change as self driving cars choose the optimum routes instead of the familiar routes? Will all the cars be joined together in a big crowd sourced real time traffic database? Will there be a need for parking lots or will you just send your self driving car back home (or out roaming) while you shop? Maybe parking lots won't need to be near the malls anymore. Instead we'll just see the mall equivalent of an airport cell phone (recharge) lot. We get dropped off and the car self drives to some remote parking lot to wait for us. Maybe the recharge will get comped if I spend enough. Will you ever need to get gas/electricity again or will your car take care of that by itself too? Can I send it for an oil change by itself while I'm at work? At what point won't there even be a steering wheel anymore? When will it just be left or right front seat instead of driver and passenger side front seat? How about long haul semi trucks? No more restrictions on driving hours -- will trucks become more cost competitive if they can self drive 24/7? Maybe trucks can drive all night and stay out of rush hour traffic. Will your car always stay where you parked it or will you simply summon it when you need it again and not care where it spent the night? How's valet parking going to work? Can I have my car earn me money uber style while I'm at work? At what point do we stop even owning cars and simply summon the nearest self driving uber? I mean, why bother with individual ownership when you can pay by the mile. Maybe car companies simply build and funnel cars into the self driving uber pool and consumers select the model of car they want based on what they're willing to pay (Kia uber or Bentley uber or truck uber-- you decide and then summon what you want or need)? Maybe I can pay more if I want to go in an upscale self driving uber. At non peak hours will there even be a need for traffic lights any more or will the cars just self thread through the intersections with minimal slow downs? Will the car companies assume global liability for crashes? I mean it's their software that's at fault not me anymore. Can I ask my car to select gas/recharge based on best price vs best proximity? I want to sleep in my car while my car drives to my vacation destination. Does this make driving more time efficient than flying in some cases? I mean that I'd go on a lot more quickie vacations if I could simply sleep while the car drove me there (and give a whole new meaning to sleeper car). Will I be able to remote control my car over the internets so that I can get it out of trouble? Can I monitor my children while my car drives them to school? Will cars have kill switches like cell phones do now? If I'm not driving and my car has a network then when I'm done with face to face meetings I can leave work (and skip peak traffic) whenever I want and just work all the way home? A two hour drive each way stops mattering if it's a billable hour. Maybe instead of big google buses employees just call up the nearest google car and carpool that way. Maybe google buys cars and funnels them into a private employee uber pool. They could station the cars in overnight lots based on who needed them to carpool to work the next morning. Enough babbling. I'm going to bed (sadly, not in my car).

I want to know now so that I can make some money off anticipating some of this stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2015 08:19PM by Alan Lehman.

El Jeffe – February 15, 2015 03:51AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
1. cars can drive themselves. Take you to work and go get gas and repairs.
1a. cars can also now avoid collisions, no need for heavy materials for collision impact/protection
1b. cars can also avoid collisions, no need for speed limits. No need for all cars to have similar velocity
1b1 - cars can be programmed to NOT BREAK ANY/ALL traffic laws - no arrests, no fines, no municipal incomes
1c. cars have no need for windows, lights, etc.
1d. cars have no need for the MIDDLE of a paved lane: should be able to stay on patches about as narrow as the tires. With 'passing zones' every mile or so. pavement/infrastructure costs go down

2. multi-task, take all your family wherever, single-thread. fewer cars needed, less congestion
3. why own a car? have a fleet available (nearby?) to take you from A to B. Far fewer cars, less congestion, less fuel consumption

>> parallel tech: robots for menial jobs = fewer laborers needed that must COMMUTE. Fewer people needed to stay in one place >>>

4. Paired with SOME (read: NOT ALL) folks being able to tele-commute AND DISTANCE LEARNING why own a HOME? Why COMMUTE? (regular ol' commutin'). Why FIX yourself to one patch of terra firma?
4a. No need to go 'fast' (read > 3 mph). Cars WERE mostly for getting back and forth from work or school. WHY do THAT?
4a-1 No need FOR FUEL. Solar can get move you about at 1 mph or so. No NEED for faster.
4b people move into solar powered 'snail shells'; RVs; caravans, live their lives moving from A to B and SEEING THE WORLD at 1-3 mph because they can TELE-COMMUTE and work from their mini-van sized domicile.
5 urban areas disperse, governments re-defined.
5a program to avoid areas AND OTHER LIFE-COMMUTERS that you have no interest in wasting your life around. Likewise in reverse, plan out your life's journey to see the world fully. Choose to socialize by having your caravans life-commute near others you choose to associate with. for a week; a month; life; Sense dangerous people and avoid them. Avoid people and municipalities or other collective governmental areas whose policies you wish to avoid. stop for food, join others dining, or have restaurants deliver to you. Stop for weeks or months in one spot. move on. Avoid hazardous areas (hurricanes, earthquakes, fires, riots, arid global climate change catastrophes).

The possibilities are endless.
And they will NOT happen because of PEOPLE. Even you are thinking you don't want everyone, anyone to have that freedom and collapse what you cling to.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2015 03:56AM by El Jeffe.

bahamut – February 15, 2015 05:56AM Reply Quote
parking lots.

why keep your car in a lot when it can come to you? that means that parking can be optimized and also lots at train stations and town centers can be eliminated, put in places where land value is less.

garages.

if you don't drive much would you trade a 10 minute delay every time you want a car in order to get that space? that's a lot of space in my house. 600 square feet or 1/5 of the total. why not glass in the doors and use it as my office?

traffic control

within ten years of introduction many areas will be autonomous only so that traffic control can become responsive. there's already some degree of this now with sensors embedded in streets, but the lack of predictive capacity due to cell phone driving mammas can be overcome with traffic control.

traffic jams

basically… goodbye

Roger – February 15, 2015 11:03AM Reply Quote
I agree with Bahamut here. I don't think all this *necessarily* means they're developing future Apple-branded cars so much as they're hoping to get more Apple tech used within cars, whether as the entertainment center or the piloting AI (or something else: say, mesh networking between the cars, and/or connecting them to the rest of the networked world). And yeah, seems like automotive R&D is basically a requirement for any giant tech company these days, not really as much of a surprise as these stories are making it out to be.

johnny k – February 15, 2015 03:19PM Reply Quote
Nice thoughts, guys. Once we have self-driving cars, I'm not sure if Uber has that much value beyond brand. Right now, they're an interface to the messy labor force. If it's all robotic, it's just writing the routing algorithms and having the capital to buy a fleet, and will Uber's current experience be that critical?

Yeah, this is much more likely developing a testbed and/or a reference design to steer automakers where Apple needs them to be. That would put an end to splicing in smarts via ODB and the car stereo space. Maybe Apple will encourage something like Thunderbolt - a standard to corral the existing busses into one access point for all interesting car systems, that builds in a kind of security that automakers don't have the expertise to tackle.

ARL (Moderator) – February 15, 2015 04:08PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
If it does end up being a car, I like that it's a rumoured to be a Van.

I could see myself getting an electric van modified for wheelchair access (the third edition that is, after the crashes etc from the beta releases etc)

ARL (Moderator) – February 16, 2015 05:04PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

Jeff Cooper – February 16, 2015 05:58PM Reply Quote

I'm ready to buy!

El Jeffe – July 12, 2015 03:55PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
new iPods coming!
Yay.

El Jeffe – July 15, 2015 03:05PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Anyone care for the new iPods?
I love Touch-es. I am still not liking my iPhone much. I might go back to Treo + iPod touch.

porruka (Admin) – July 15, 2015 05:39PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
El Jeffe
Anyone care for the new iPods?
I love Touch-es. I am still not liking my iPhone much. I might go back to Treo + iPod touch.

I care, but not for the "right" reasons. I want a price break on 5th gen 32g (because the 16 doesn't have the back camera).

Also, I'm disappointed no Touch ID on 6th gen. That seems to say something about the product line, but what, exactly, it says hasn't gelled in my brain yet.

Cloudscout – July 15, 2015 05:55PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Still couldn't be bothered to put a GPS chip in it either.

El Jeffe – July 16, 2015 12:47AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
For product named TOUCH, you'd think TouchID would be included.
GPS.
What else is missing in comparison to phone?
I am tempted.
Oh, the protruding button/hook/loop thing is gone, too.

ddt – July 17, 2015 06:38PM Reply Quote
Not Mac rumors, but thinking about how Silicon Valley is failing and what would be the next new thing: http://edge.org/conversation/john_markoff-the-next-wave

ddt

James DeBenedetti – July 18, 2015 12:05AM Reply Quote
That was all over the place, never came to a real conclusion, and posited Silicon Valley is failing while providing only evidence that disputed such a claim. What are we supposed to take away from it?

El Jeffe – July 18, 2015 02:41AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
ddt
Not Mac rumors, but thinking about how Silicon Valley is failing and what would be the next new thing: http://edge.org/conversation/john_markoff-the-next-wave

ddt

When I first read this, I thought meant the TV Show. And I then thought, yeah "Halt and Catch Fire" is failing, too.

ddt – July 18, 2015 05:36AM Reply Quote
It's a spoken interview, not an essay. He was asked a range of questions. You're free to read his books and articles if you want to make claims he can't come to a point. And at some point, having covered a topic for decades and both high and low levels (Markoff was one of the few people who could get Jobs directly on the phone, and also spent months following low-level people doing all sorts of innovation), he has at least as much authority to draw conclusions as the random pundit/meathead you quote to buttress your economic statements.

You can take away whatever you want from it, though you'll learn more if you open your ears and don't lash yourself to confirmation bias.

ddt

bahamut – July 20, 2015 06:39PM Reply Quote
I'm really going to miss Halt and Catch FIre!!!!

John Willoughby – May 11, 2016 01:28PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
It looks like my favorite business model, owning my own property, is falling out of favor.

I like Apple music, but I want to be able to own music if I choose to. Back to Napster...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login