Spork Boards

That's right, Mr. Meader- don't look here for thoze rum0rz...

Simon's Avatar Picture Simon – December 19, 2007 11:49PM Reply Quote
Yet Another Transplant Thread (credit to Brian Miller for the original) (and Robert Taylor for the 2nd edition)

So, when do you expect to see the next 21-slot G5 subnotebook with built-in antigravity? Or do you have other things to complain about regarding the Mac rum0rz press?

porruka (Admin) – July 22, 2014 08:18PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
So, let's toss some fuel on the fire: AAPL + TWX?

Andreesen and Peter Kafka are interpreting this: "People close to Time Warner have hinted that it would prefer an all cash and higher offer from a deep-pocketed technology company—but there isn't such an offer available right now." from http://online.wsj.com/articles/fox-mindful-of-debt-as-it-eyes-time-warner-1406072651?tesla=y&mg=reno64-wsj to mean Google.

If AAPL is going to make a TV play, it certainly has the cash and the timing to do it.

Andreesen is equating this "technology company" idea to AOL-TW (with the negative baggage that entails). For all the "could have beens" there that I still lament, it is a somewhat different world now.

Start your speculators!

John Willoughby – July 23, 2014 06:54AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
As soon as Apple ties themselves to any content company, making deals with any other content company becomes much, much harder.

ddt – July 23, 2014 07:59AM Reply Quote
Yeah, not sure what the upside would really be for Apple. Can you imagine Time Warner execs integrating with Apple's management structure, taking marching orders from Cupertino (not NYC or Hollywood), and throwing out their corporate mission/culture?

Plus, Apple's never really been good at managing infrastructure. Manufacturing and retail chains are not the same beasts.

ddt

John Willoughby – July 23, 2014 08:55AM Reply Quote
Yeah, they do not work and play well with others.

porruka (Admin) – July 23, 2014 09:16AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Pluses: In Cook's Apple, beats is staying semi-autonomous (for now), perhaps at least parts of TW go the same route. HBO. Most of the non-digital-aware properties are already spun off. Keeps it out of the hands of Google (which may or may not be interested -- see the feint toward NFL Sunday Ticket).

Minuses: It's TW. More would still need to be spun off (not for financial but focus reasons). News/Fox is an on-again/off-again content partner of Apple. Yes, deals with others might be interfered with depending on how the structure is set up. It would be a crapload of cash even at similar percentages as 21st is offering. It's TW.

The more I think about it, the more someone like Disney (which is having an increasingly chummy relationship with Apple) sounds like a better suitor.

I would NOT look forward to Google buying it, regardless.

John Willoughby – July 23, 2014 11:31AM Reply Quote
I think that TWX would be Google's Vietnam...

ddt – July 23, 2014 12:08PM Reply Quote
One thing that would make it totally messy is TWX's traditional relationship to advertising agencies etc. -- definitely not being owned by one.

ddt

ddt – July 28, 2014 07:14PM Reply Quote
DPBD:

This would be a Dr. Phred question, if he weren't now assimilated into the mothership... but if this (http://www.macrumors.com/2014/07/28/retina-macbook-pro-update-july-29/) is true, and I bought a new MBP last week, can I return my opened and data-filled new purchase for a new model?

ddt

dharlow – July 28, 2014 07:54PM Reply Quote
ddt -

I have done that, as long as it was within the return period. Now one time they offered me a few hundred off not to do it.

ddt – July 28, 2014 08:27PM Reply Quote
"Look, we'll give you money if you just GO AWAY!" -- like that? I can live with that.

Well, it might be within the 14 days... . Thanks.

ddt

bahamut – July 29, 2014 06:39AM Reply Quote
I thought it was thirty days now.

Mokers (Moderator) – July 29, 2014 06:55AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
DDT, you can usually return it or get Apple store credit if you keep your current laptop.

ddt – July 29, 2014 07:18AM Reply Quote
Cool, thanks. I'll try taking it to the store tomorrow.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – July 29, 2014 04:01PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
On that topic:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/11/updated-imacs-faster-processors-next-week/

Did this happen when expected or have I also bought a just-about-to-be-updated iMac model?

James DeBenedetti – July 29, 2014 06:56PM Reply Quote
The current speedbumps are hardly noticeable. Nothing of significance will change until Broadwell arrives (next year?).

bahamut – July 30, 2014 12:57PM Reply Quote
Intel sure is struggling. Hasn't there been nothing significant since the first release of the Retinas?

ddt – July 30, 2014 01:56PM Reply Quote
You didn't think Moore's Law was an actual, physical law, did you?

ddt

El Jeffe – July 30, 2014 02:31PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I think it has to break… soon

ARL (Moderator) – July 30, 2014 03:44PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Processor speed is the least important thing for me franky nowadays.

It's all the other bottlenecks (RAM, hard drive, OS cruft, spinning beachball) that need work.

James DeBenedetti – July 30, 2014 05:57PM Reply Quote
It's not the CPU speed that matters – it's the significantly reduced power consumption and increased GPU speed that comes with a better process node (22nm -> 14nm) that makes Broadwell worth waiting for. For example, it's the first time you'll be able to buy a fanless MacBook.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login