Spork Boards

That's right, Mr. Meader- don't look here for thoze rum0rz...

Simon's Avatar Picture Simon – December 19, 2007 11:49PM Reply Quote
Yet Another Transplant Thread (credit to Brian Miller for the original) (and Robert Taylor for the 2nd edition)

So, when do you expect to see the next 21-slot G5 subnotebook with built-in antigravity? Or do you have other things to complain about regarding the Mac rum0rz press?

James DeBenedetti – September 30, 2017 08:56PM Reply Quote
Yeah, pretty much.

ARL (Moderator) – October 02, 2017 06:12AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Hmmm. I'm not yet convinced but I do use a fair bit of legacy software ...

John Willoughby – March 05, 2018 06:32AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

El Jeffe – March 05, 2018 11:54AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
i agree. geezbus...

ARL (Moderator) – March 05, 2018 02:05PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
iPad duo?

John Willoughby – March 26, 2018 07:31AM Reply Quote
I'm seeing a lot of sales on MacBook Pros. It makes me wonder if they're announcing new ones at the educational event Tuesday. I wouldn't think so, since I don't think the event is being streamed, but it could happen.

Roger – March 26, 2018 11:05AM Reply Quote
Maybe low-end notebooks, say updated Airs? The MacBook line is in a weird place right now with the old Retina-less Air as the only cheap option. That's a computer I wouldn't tell anyone to buy but I do see edu people getting steered toward it even now.

John Willoughby – March 26, 2018 12:28PM Reply Quote
That's a good point; updated Airs could be introduced at a low key event. Still don't know why there are so many sales on MBP's. I have no hope for a true "pro" MacBook Pro at the education event, since that seems like a big event kind of thing. Maybe WWDC. But probably not.

Roger – March 26, 2018 01:51PM Reply Quote
They can of course speed-bump the Pros whenever they want without making a big deal out of it — and that may be all there is planned for this year, I fear. It seems like the stagnation of the Mac isn't about to end anytime soon.

John Willoughby – March 29, 2018 09:11AM Reply Quote
As Tesla's stock heads downwards, I'm seeing more people saying that Google or Apple will pick them up, once Musk is forced to face the realities of Tesla's financial situation now that the hype is cooling.

I honestly think that if anybody buys Tesla, all the Big Brains will leave and the buyer would end up with a business that they don't know how to handle, and an exodus of talent. Still, Cook has done other things that I thought would end the same way (Siri, Beats), so I guess that it could happen.

Roger – March 29, 2018 10:09AM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
I honestly think that if anybody buys Tesla, all the Big Brains will leave and the buyer would end up with a business that they don't know how to handle

I mostly agree with you but, to play devil's advocate for a second on this one, Tesla's impending beleaguerment is all about their inability to scale up manufacturing efficiently — "production hell." And if there's one thing Cook's Apple demonstrably knows how to do better than anyone else…

John Willoughby – March 29, 2018 10:13AM Reply Quote
It's possible. I'd love to see Apple move into this market with a bang. I'm just not too optimistic.

Roger – March 29, 2018 10:18AM Reply Quote
I guess my feeling is mostly, why would they bother spending billions to buy someone else's manufacturing, and all its apparent problems, when they could just spend the same billions to start up their own. From Apple's perspective Tesla looks like a patent portfolio and some brand equity, along with a really big bunch of headaches.

John Willoughby – March 29, 2018 11:22AM Reply Quote
I was under the impression that it was pretty damn hard to put together the infrastructure to manufacture a car, but I confess that I am profoundly ignorant on the matter.

Roger – March 29, 2018 11:26AM Reply Quote
Certainly seems like it was for Tesla!

johnny k – March 30, 2018 05:42AM Reply Quote
Especially when you make a bunch of parts from scratch instead of using the system of suppliers that the rest do. Apple's expertise in supply chain is diametrically opposed to a company-owned Gigafactory.

Knowing Musk (who supposedly moved his desk/sleeping bag/family to the Tesla production floor), he may be able to squeeze another rallying moment out of this reaction. It may be a little demoralizing that all everyone hears about Tesla manufacturing is his larger-than-life pronouncements and the stories of heavily hand-made models, when there still must be a huge production-engineering-driven culture at this scale. I understand they're having birthing pains breaking new ground in the industry, but the idea was that they were supposed to do that with the smaller-run models. OTOH, part of what is supposed to allow the cheaper price of the Model 3 is further progress in manufacturing processes.

John Willoughby – April 03, 2018 01:27PM Reply Quote
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/04/03/intel-debuts-core-i9-coffee-lake-eighth-gen/

Of note, while the Core i9 processor allows for systems with up to 32GB of RAM, this is unlikely to apply to the next MacBook Pro, since low-power DDR4 RAM is still not supported. Back in 2016, Apple's marketing chief Phil Schiller said 32GB of standard DDR4 RAM would compromise battery life.

@!*$@*#&!!($$&&$#^!@!!!!($&@$&*!#!!

James DeBenedetti – April 03, 2018 01:50PM Reply Quote
And you wonder why Apple wants to drop Intel.

John Willoughby – April 03, 2018 02:11PM Reply Quote
I'm more concerned with Apple's inability to prioritize anything but battery life and appearance.

Cloudscout – April 03, 2018 03:21PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I wish any of the major manufacturers would truly prioritize battery life. I really, really don't NEED a phone that is less than 10mm thick. Apple actually deserves a little credit here, though... they took the bold move of increasing the thickness over the last few generations but they could easily return to the iPhone 4 thickness and have seriously killer battery life.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login