Spork Boards

Funny, Interesting and Useless links

tliet's Avatar Picture tliet – December 08, 2007 09:22PM Reply Quote
Polished up my grammar a bit...

Since there was no real thread for useless but nonetheless
interesting links I thought I'd create one.

John Willoughby – November 22, 2016 11:56AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Jonny Ive burning out? Taking a back seat? Largely speculation and subjective impressions, but some facts. Interesting, but not terribly surprising if true.

ARL (Moderator) – November 22, 2016 02:41PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Just wondering who is the biggest driver of the "thinner, more battery life" fundamentalism at Apple? If it's Jony, good riddance.

Cloudscout – November 25, 2016 07:55PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Best Buy's Black Friday ad from 1996:

http://guff.com/what-black-friday-looked-like-in-1996

It includes a Performa 6400/180 for $2400.

El Jeffe – November 26, 2016 02:30AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Packard Bell $1500!!!!

John Willoughby – November 29, 2016 08:16AM Reply Quote
Last night I downloaded and installed the COI package for my MacBook, so I could run some old classic games. System 9.0.4, in all of its glory. COI uses the Sheepshaver emulator (which supports up to OS 9.0.4). Sheepshaver is a real pain to configure, so the point of COI is to bundle a pre-configured Sheepshaver, an OS9 boot disk, and a compatible ROM image for painless operation. I recommend it, if you have any nostalgia for classic Mac OS and a casual attitude towards Apple's intellectual property.

So far, so good. The weird thing was that the included config file was missing the line that attached the included boot disk (which is hidden inside the app package, and is not obvious). It took me half an hour to figure out what was wrong and correct it.

It just seems strange that somebody would labor so hard on the distribution, custom icons, Claris Works, Corel WordPerfect, MORE 3.1, etc., and not even test run his distribution before making it available. I've used other bundlings of COI before that weren't half so well thought out, but they ran.

Strange. Anyway, if you want to revisit the Elder Days of Apple I recommend COI 4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny," but maybe not the one I downloaded last night.

ddt – December 02, 2016 05:29AM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – February 07, 2017 04:21AM Reply Quote
What a journey.

John Willoughby – February 07, 2017 06:50AM Reply Quote
Random numbers, as generated by deterministic machines, are not truly random. If your pseudo-random number generator repeats itself after a certain number of plays, then the pattern can be anticipated and a player can bet heavily before an anticipated winning play. I wrote an Apple II game back in the day to generate random star systems with planetary descriptions. After a hundred systems or so, you would start to see identical systems. The same program written for iOS doesn't have that problem. Better RNG generator.

Aristocrat apparently had a crappy RNG. This kind of issue may pose a problem for a lot of companies though. The fix would be to re-seed the RNG periodically, perhaps with the number of milliseconds between button presses or something else that would be impossible for a player to control. There might be regulatory issues with something like that, though.

ARL (Moderator) – February 07, 2017 07:18PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Aristocrat, are they originally an Australian company?

If so, fine Aussie software engineering at work there...

John Willoughby – February 08, 2017 06:11AM Reply Quote
I don't think so. They just moved a branch into the office right beneath my company. Weird to have a major competitor about two (vertical) feet from my desk.

ARL (Moderator) – February 08, 2017 02:19PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Not this mob?

I used to drive past their office occasionally...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2017 02:20PM by ARL.

John Willoughby – February 08, 2017 02:30PM Reply Quote
ARL
Not this mob?

I used to drive past their office occasionally...

Oh, yup, that's them. I guess it's appropriate that their offices are "down under" mine.

ARL (Moderator) – February 08, 2017 10:11PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Not surprising. Australia has more slot machines than all of the US by a considerable margin (don't tell Trump, he's apparently sensitive about numbers).

Silly question: With a direct competitor right next door, your company's not worried about any oopsie-daisy IP accidents?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2017 10:13PM by ARL.

John Willoughby – February 09, 2017 06:01AM Reply Quote
Both of our offices are badge-entry, so there's no casual browsing through each others' offices. I worry a little bit about network hacking, etc., but it apparently doesn't bother the Powers that Be. And, honestly, isn't too likely.

ARL (Moderator) – February 09, 2017 03:39PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Until you hear a lot of muffled Russian accents amid the clacking of keyboards you're probably fine...

El Jeffe – February 09, 2017 05:45PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Fascinating. Watch the entirety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdPymLgfXSY

ARL (Moderator) – February 09, 2017 07:03PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Used to be on my council access committee so I know all about TGSI (Tactile Ground Surface Indicators). In Australia they're part of a building standard called AS 1428.1. I did not know the bit about the bike lanes though, not sure if we have them in Australia.

There are some inconsistencies, in particular they should be bright/high colour contrast and they're often not. People with assistance dogs can find them troublesome as sometines the dogs don't like walking on them.

All in all though, it's the simplest bit of accessibility most buildings make a token effort at.

If I had a dollar for every shiny new development with lovely TGSI at the top and bottom of one or two steps (where they could have easily BUILT A FUCKING RAMP!!!) -- "but look, some token TGSI, look how inclusive we are..."

< / pet peeve>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2017 07:05PM by ARL.

ARL (Moderator) – February 10, 2017 04:45PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
DPBD!

Totally derivative but:

Australia Second?

ARL (Moderator) – February 14, 2017 01:00AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
This is a much better one:

https://youtu.be/A7RvBfZL1D8

Bruce Robertson – February 15, 2017 11:20AM Reply Quote
Tried to view that link but right now most any attempt I make to watch YouTube stuff ends up playing back at very high speed, and I haven't been able to figure out why, or how to control it.
Anybody got clues about that?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login