Spork Boards

Funny, Interesting and Useless links

tliet's Avatar Picture tliet – December 08, 2007 09:22PM Reply Quote
Polished up my grammar a bit...

Since there was no real thread for useless but nonetheless
interesting links I thought I'd create one.

johnny k – December 10, 2017 05:43AM Reply Quote
No. That's useful! Like that it also does price tracking. Wish the browser extension just hovered a box with grade and the price trend over the existing page instead of opening the FakeSpot site separately.

El Jeffe – December 11, 2017 12:08AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
did not see the extension.

ARL (Moderator) – December 11, 2017 02:07AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
How do we know those glowing reviews aren't also erm, fake?

(No seriously, it seems a great idea)

ddt – January 05, 2018 09:48AM Reply Quote
Mr. Willoughby, your drink is ready: https://anticapitalist.party/@Concerned_Commy/99297086463515089

ddt

John Willoughby – January 05, 2018 10:03AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Heh, yes, that's been around for a while. Always refreshing!

John Willoughby – January 12, 2018 10:44AM Reply Quote
Nice move by Visa, and Apple Pay. Really just acknowledging reality, but still nice.

El Jeffe – January 12, 2018 03:25PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Again, my times in UK/London is they do it right.... except tfl, where ApplePay needs to figure out some way to have/get cell or use wifi for authentication because the tube will take ApplePay, but guess what, my first time using it... no cell data. DOH!
But yeah, don't make me put in my ZIPCODE, sign anything, etc. etc.... JUST WORK, please.

ARL (Moderator) – January 13, 2018 01:49AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
For the last few years in Australia signature cards have been a rarity - with payWave or tapngo for under $100 and a pin for over $100.

I had to get a special signature only card because I was worried there would be places I couldn't reach the terminal, but that's not really been a problem. Ironically it's now really hard to get just the regular card that is paywave and pin ( I keep being sent signature only replacements).

El Jeffe – January 13, 2018 06:19AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I am curious and concerned about how FaceID will work for things like (USAmerican) Drive-thrus (eg McDs). With TouchID, I could (not so easily) reach with my Left arm/hand/shoulder fully extended into their window as they stood there intrigued with what I had asked them to do... not sure how that translates into FaceID process. I really with Apple would put the TouchID on the obverse of the phone, I prefer TouchID. [but in truth, I'd be ready to go back to Treo for phone/text, coupled with small iPad for web/data[

tomierna (Admin) – January 13, 2018 07:52AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
FaceID seems to be able to recognize my face from a full arm's length away, as long as I'm "in-frame."

But, bringing up Apple Pay on my phone just now (without being near a place to pay) it seems like the procedure is:

1) Double-press the side button, while looking at your phone
2) FaceID animation runs
3) Place near NFC reader
4) Double-press the side button to confirm

I think FaceID has done it's job before you hover the phone over the NFC reader.

El Jeffe – January 13, 2018 09:32AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
ok, with that good info... I wonder...
I've had POS people gesture towards me to take my phone so they can do the apple pay. I tell them "no, I need to use MY fingerprint for it to work...." Does what you describe not introduce the possibility that one can hand their faceID-(pre)-authenticated phone to another user for final processing? Still have worries, concerns, until I see this in action.

ARL (Moderator) – January 19, 2018 07:38PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
This appeals to the nerd in me:

http://www.tankmuseum.org/year-news/bovnews53565

(Lego style model Tiger 1 tank)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2018 07:39PM by ARL.

John Willoughby – January 19, 2018 08:08PM Reply Quote
ARL
This appeals to the nerd in me:

http://www.tankmuseum.org/year-news/bovnews53565

(Lego style model Tiger 1 tank)

Dammit. I was considering buyint it, but it's not in their store. Now I must learn to live in disappointment.

[EDIT]

Ah, found it. A little pricey for me. Still, I am no longer disappointed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2018 08:11PM by John Willoughby.

El Jeffe – January 20, 2018 06:21AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Last year my traveling companion highly desired to visit that The Tank Museum in south of England. Sadly, could not dovetail it into our trip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login