Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

Funny, Interesting and Useless links

tliet's Avatar Picture tliet – December 08, 2007 09:22PM Reply Quote
Polished up my grammar a bit...

Since there was no real thread for useless but nonetheless
interesting links I thought I'd create one.

porruka (Admin) – August 21, 2017 11:07AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Money shot, you say?

“It’s like getting shot in the face with money every day,” he [FX's CEO, John Landgraf] said at a news media event this month.

(from an actually interesting article on Apple's (and others') entry into scripted creative content. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/20/business/media/tv-marketplace-apple-facebook-google.html)

John Willoughby – September 05, 2017 07:16AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government.

The Lady of the Lake is unhappy with Brexit, and is calling for a change in leadership. Government is investigating pond for evidence of Russian tampering.

ddt – September 05, 2017 08:44AM Reply Quote
Fake news! She was STANDING in a pond. Corrupt media narrative. Ergo everything they say, the truth is the opposite.

ddt

El Jeffe – September 05, 2017 11:52AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
can't be UK... there is a PICKUP TRUCK in background.

ddt – September 08, 2017 01:58PM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – September 13, 2017 07:42PM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – September 22, 2017 04:40PM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – September 22, 2017 05:01PM Reply Quote

I love it when I get semi-obscure xkcd references.

johnny k – September 23, 2017 11:56AM Reply Quote
You read a bunch of those books? I read a short story in some anthology that I liked, but was clearly a B-plot in the same world, not epic or anything.

James DeBenedetti – September 23, 2017 05:56PM Reply Quote
They were good when I read them back in junior / high school. I don’t know how they’d read as an adult, but they were pretty popular at the time.

John Willoughby – September 23, 2017 06:45PM Reply Quote
I read a lot of the early ones, but drifted away at some point. I actually still re-read one of the off-shoot series (Harper Hall) every three or four years. That one's almost young adult, but I enjoy it. It was never one of my favorite series, but I liked it enough to stay with it for a decade or so.

johnny k – September 24, 2017 05:24PM Reply Quote
Score. Just found a volume of them in my wife's childhood bedroom when I was visiting her parents this weekend. Still, Neuromancer first.

James DeBenedetti – September 24, 2017 05:41PM Reply Quote
To fully appreciate the genius of Neuromancer, don’t forget it was written over three decades ago on a typewriter because its author had never owned a computer.

ARL (Moderator) – September 24, 2017 08:17PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
And I highly recommend the Burning Chrome short stories - at least one (Johnny Mnemonic) spawned a film. At least as good as Neuromancer.

Sorry, it's annoying when someone gushes incessantly about something they're into. I'm started to wax lyrical they way my daughter does about minecraft (she has legitimate excuses, being 8 and ASD, I'm just being me...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2017 08:18PM by ARL.

porruka (Admin) – September 25, 2017 09:53AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Not a link, but... Elvis has entered the building (from Apple's security announcements):

"CVE-2017-7131: Dominik Conrads of Federal Office for Information
Security, an anonymous researcher, Elvis (@elvisimprsntr), an
anonymous researcher"

John Willoughby – September 26, 2017 11:14AM Reply Quote
Bill Gates has switched to Android. Still won't use an iPhone.

John Willoughby – October 20, 2017 06:52AM Reply Quote
I feel for the developer here, who ought to have the trademark.

I feel that this paragraph will be his undoing, though:

The lawsuit states that Apple attempted to cancel the trademark on the grounds that the company which filed the trademark did not exist at the time. Bonansea says this is a technical error in that he should have filed under the name of his original company

Can't make mistakes like that against a billion-dollar legal team.

James DeBenedetti – October 20, 2017 08:40PM Reply Quote
Given MacRumors report, it sounds more like he's trying to take advantage of Apple than vice versa, but working this out is why we have courts.

Bonansea originally trademarked the name under a Washington corporation called "emonster, Inc," a company that is now defunct. Apple's petition to cancel argued that the "emonster Inc" company did not exist when the Animoji registration was initially filed, and Bonansea claims that it was a mistake the trademark was not filed under the name of his Japanese company, Emonster k.k. A cancellation proceeding for the trademark appears to still be pending.

The lawsuit suggests that Bonansea planned to release an updated Animoji app at the end of 2017, but had to rush to submit a new app "so that Apple did not further associate the Animoji mark in the public's minds with Apple." He claims this has caused suffering and "irreparable injury" as he has had to rush to market with an unfinished product.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2017 08:54PM by James DeBenedetti.

John Willoughby – November 03, 2017 09:03AM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – November 13, 2017 05:00PM Reply Quote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login