Spork Boards

Spork De-Pork

Mokers's Avatar Picture Mokers (Moderator) – April 10, 2008 10:39AM Reply Quote
How did we forget this transplant?

Mokers (Moderator) – April 10, 2008 10:39AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin

ghidorah – April 10, 2008 06:49PM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
Yeah, they are good commercials but I'm mostly hating working out right now. I've been sick more then I've been healthy so far this year and I've not been able to do as much cardio as I'd like. As a result I'm getting a tad round in the middle again. I'm not pleased, but until I can keep from hacking, all I can do is watch my calorie intake and focus on strengthening conditioning.

El Jeffe – April 11, 2008 06:55AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I plan on beginning to work out at age 50, when all of you guys have worn your bodies out by then.

What a journey.

ghidorah – April 11, 2008 07:15AM Reply Quote
Hope I die before I get old...

El Jeffe – April 11, 2008 07:24AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
is that a generation-al thing?

What a journey.

ghidorah – April 11, 2008 08:00AM Reply Quote
Just who do you think you are anyway?

El Jeffe – April 11, 2008 08:20AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
guess...who!

What a journey.

ghidorah – April 11, 2008 08:58AM Reply Quote
You mean you're an american woman?! Never can tell on the intra-nets.

Madaracs – April 13, 2008 06:00AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
AMERICAN WOMAN!

Kravitzular.

Cloudscout – May 07, 2008 06:59AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I've decided to buy an Electric Bike Conversion Kit. I'm going to put it on my comfort bike for commuting. That should make my commute reasonable by bicycle as it will allow me to go faster without leaving me completely soaked in sweat when I arrive at the office. It's going to be about $600 for the kit. If I use it 3 days per week all summer long, I will end up getting half of that back in fuel savings... not to mention the health benefits. The problem is, everybody is sold out of these things right now. The local dealership is saying it'll be another week or two before they get them in.

Madaracs – May 07, 2008 08:49AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
I ate fried pork for lunch.

ghidorah – May 07, 2008 09:15AM Reply Quote
Deep fried? Chicken fried? French fried?

inquiring minds want to know

Mokers (Moderator) – December 13, 2008 10:31AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Ran my first 10K today in 55:18. I was pretty happy as I sprained my ankle paying bball on monday, and it was throbbing starting around mile 1. I've never really liked running either. I'm going to continue with the 10Ks and hopefully make it to a triathlon next year. We'll see...

ddt – December 13, 2008 04:17PM Reply Quote
good job! as for the ankle: RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation). and ibuprofin.

ddt

Jeff Cooper – December 13, 2008 04:21PM Reply Quote
Way to go, Mikers--that's really something on a sprained ankle. My best 10k time was only a couple of minutes faster, and (a) it wasn't my first, and (b) my ankles were both fine; so were my knees, for that matter, although that would change within the following year or so. This was a decade or so ago. I miss running--my knees just won't tolerate it anymore.

Alan Lehman – December 13, 2008 06:11PM Reply Quote
Remy,

That's an admirable goal but I'm going to be blunt. If this is going to be your first triathlon, pick another one. There are two Alcatraz triathlons. One gets scheduled based on the tides and the other gets scheduled based on the date. Guess which one you picked. That's right, you picked the one that hits the same date each year.

This is important because for many people it means that you may be swimming in a cross current tide that is moving faster than you can swim. Pull up a map of the Bay. Note the relative distance between Alcatraz and the Maritime Park where you exit the water. Now go back and note the relative distance between Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge. The last time I supported my wife she got swept out almost all the way to the bridge before the boat picked her up and brought her back. Then they dumped her back in the water and she made it to shore. Several of the other people that she was with got swept right back out towards the bridge before they could get in past the breakwater to safety. The last time I heard reports from people I know, they dumped the swimmers in the water on the southeast side of the island. The weak ones got swept counterclockwise around the island (and then many of them out towards the bridge) and had to swim the extra distance from there.

After you exit the water, you'll have to run 2 miles to the bike transition. This is actually good news because it helps you fight the hypothermia that you probably got during the swim. It's bad news because it adds an extra 2 mile run and it also adds an extra transition point that you'll have to organize. Next you'll have a technical hilly bike course that will wipe you out if you take it at anything approaching race pace. Then comes an 8 mile brutal run. It's scenic but you'll spend time running up and down on both sand and trails.

Also, you'll need a wet suit for the swim. I recommend a lot of training with a wet suit if you are not used to one. I swam for years in a wet suit and I suffered from occasional panic attacks several times simply because the extra constriction from the suit around my throat cut down on my ability to breath when I was overdoing it. Also there are fit and friction issues with wet suits that you'll want to have sorted out in advance.

Of course, if sorting all this out while you're hypothermic and being swept out to sea is your idea of fun, knock yourself out. On the upside, Robin Williams sometimes does the bike leg with his relay team and the Golden Gate is awesome even when seen from beneath.

Me personally, I'd go for something in fresh, smooth and non-flowing water for my first time triathlon.

An alternative is to find the Alcatraz race that sets the date and time to correspond to a slack tide. At least (and if my memory serves) they used to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2008 06:13PM by Alan Lehman.

Mokers (Moderator) – December 13, 2008 10:01PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Alan,

Thanks for your concern. I'll have to check my info because I am definitely not trying to be a hero. I am supposed to be in the one that goes with the tides. This is what it said on the main page:

DESCRIPTION: 1.5-mile swim ~ 2.5-mile run ~ 13-mile bike ~ 10K run
First, you'll swim the 1.5-mile "Escape" swim course from Alcatraz Island. Fortunately, the tides are very predictable with the help of a Tide Log, which allows us to choose an ideal date each year to stage this event and give you the chance to swim from The Rock (thus having it in September this year). The swim finishes at Aquatic Park, where you'll exit the bay and thaw out for the bike with a 2.5-mile run to the transition area at Crissy Field in the Presidio.

It was suggested to me by a good friend of mine that I have known a long time and not something I just picked out randomly. I also figured the 9 month plus lead time was plenty to get in the extra shape I need to be in. I am not as concerned with the swim because I am pretty good swimmer. I haven't signed up yet, but am starting to research what I should do as far as training. I am a little more concerned about the bike part because I have never really biked a lot, and would have to get one for training.

My plan is to do another 10k in a couple of months and then try for a half marathon perhaps in April or May, mixing in swimming and whatnot. Hopefully get on the bike around June. I'm not racing anybody, but just doing it for myself.

Jeff Cooper – December 14, 2008 02:36AM Reply Quote
I'd urge you to be careful about your ankle as you move forward in your training. The effective end of my "racing" career, such as it was (I was never competitive with anyone but myself) came when I tried to push through some knee trouble during the last month before the Indianapolis mini-marathon in 2001. I wound up seriously aggravating the knee, missing the race, and never being able to get back to where I had been before that April. So take care of yourself.

Alan Lehman – December 14, 2008 05:44AM Reply Quote
Remy,

Maybe I got it backwards, maybe they swapped strategies. Either way, make sure that this isn't your first Tri. Also, the 2.5 mile run, that's an add on freebie. You do that, then you ride, then you run again.

Also, be very comfortable in a wet suit. Do not make this your first swim with a wet suit. Swimming in freezing cold, open and choppy salt water can throw even good swimmers for a loop. Also getting run over by the ass clown behind you who is trying to make time by going over you isn't fun in any water and this race brings those people out in spades.

Don't let me be a kill joy though. Register early and have fun.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login