Spork Boards

Boss Bitch

Simon's Avatar Picture Simon – December 18, 2007 02:38PM Reply Quote
For all your work woes.

ghidorah – June 16, 2008 10:15PM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
Bill--self medication sucks donkeys. go see a professional. Panic attacks require proper medical intervention--alcohol just makes it worse. Believe me on this one.

El Jeffe – June 17, 2008 12:34AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Will do.

Cloudscout – June 17, 2008 08:48AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
There's something satisfying with writing a long-winded email and ending it with the words, "This is not acceptable."

Cloudscout – June 21, 2008 07:57PM Reply Quote
I went to a party tonight at a friend's house. The wife of one of the people I knew there works at my office and is the person responsible for issuing laptops. I half-jokingly told her that I needed a new laptop (it takes over 7 minutes from the time I turn mine on to the time I can actually do anything). Getting a new machine is pretty much impossible at my office. My boss can't even get a new one for himself. Well, I'm getting a new one next week. Goodbye 1.3GHz single-core, non-hyperthreaded, 1GB RAM piece of crap. Hello 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM.

Dave Loudin – June 22, 2008 04:06PM Reply Quote
Seven minutes with my old laptop on the Naval Marine Corps Intranet would have been beyond lightspeed. Try twenty minutes after a cold boot. Fortunately, I just received my "tech refresh" laptop, and cold boot time is actually about two. Way awesome.

ARL (Moderator) – June 23, 2008 06:15PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I've always found Valerian tea (or 2000mg tablets) helps for occasional insomnia. Don't take it all the time though.

El Jeffe – June 26, 2008 01:23PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Getting closer. Guy that sits next to me was cut today.

stan adams – June 27, 2008 05:23AM Reply Quote
I have a mental image. Call it "Samuri HR Admin". Dude with elaborate hakama comes racing down the aisle. Stops abruptly near El Jeffe. Draws the kintana. SWOOSH. Co-worker is now former...

SoupIsGood Food – June 27, 2008 06:41PM Reply Quote
Been two weeks since I got fingerprinted and signed all the paperwork required to run the background check. Still no word. I know, I know, the one I went through for VeriSign almost went that long, and the new gig is an order of magnitude more sensitive, but dude. It's driving me nuts...

My best beloved works at a Navy lab translating Nerd into English as a contractor with a Secret clearance, and is also an assistant supervisor, and she says generally people who flunk, flunk right away, and the longer it goes, the more routine it is, the people running the check are just bored and lazy. I hope she's right.

Still, I can't quit the old job, or even boast about it to my co-workers, and I can't go apartment hunting, because I =know= I'll jinx it. So, I'm in limbo for two weeks and counting. Bleah.

John Willoughby – June 28, 2008 09:48AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I just had a background check and drug test for my new/old job at the video slots place. They were supposed to get back to me when they got the results, so that I could start early, but I didn't hear anything in two weeks. I contacted them Thursday, and of course everything was fine. They just didn't really have any motivation to get back to me. So I'm back to work Monday.

Curtis – June 29, 2008 11:47AM Reply Quote
There's some law, somewhere that if you're turned down based on whatever in the background check you can request to see what was in the check.

Don't know more details, all the checks done on me didn't go into much. I don't think there is much that can disqualify me for working for an entertainment company though. One time they called my boss (check done 2 years after I was already working there for various dumb HR reasons) who gave a glowing review.

Everyone seems surprised when my boss tells them I can actually do what's on my resume. When the first line in "experience" is about a $2mil+ infrastructure enhancement plan where I did the budget, systems engineering, and rollout strategy.... well. I guess I can see why.

Dave Loudin – June 30, 2008 06:33AM Reply Quote
Easy for me to say, Soup, but don't sweat the background check as your beloved is right. The unusual cases get lots of resources attatched to them which leaves the normal cases to limp along. You might ask your references and family members if an investigator has come to call. A little bit of field work may be all that is required.

Cloudscout – July 01, 2008 10:49AM Reply Quote
Woohoo! New laptop!

I knew it was going to be faster but this is just SOOOOOO much faster. It's actually usable now.

Cloudscout – July 02, 2008 09:36AM Reply Quote
Getting a new laptop helped me find a bug in a program I wrote. The app is multi-threaded but my old laptop only had a single-core CPU (didn't even do hyperthreading). The result? There was no way for two threads to actually execute simultaneously. My new laptop has a Core 2 Duo CPU. Suddenly, my app was crashing. Turns out I'm doing things that aren't exactly thread-safe. If things were timed just right, two threads could collide and the app would crash. Oops. Now I have to figure out the correct way to accomplish this.

Curtis – July 02, 2008 05:17PM Reply Quote
Extra money makes me nervous. 300$ extra just showed up on my paycheck. Did I get a raise? Nobody told me... What's this for?

Why does this make me nervous? This comes the same week that the department finance person / administrator insisted that I change staffing companies (at my old, normal rate). I was given a fairly specific reason they were changing staffing companies, not related to my rate (that did make sense).

My company is a giant bureaucracy. It is entirely possible for HR to make a decision and not tell my local finance person / administrator. Or, alternatively that person is trying to screw me out of a raise that HR decided on by getting me to resign with the other staffing company at the lower rate.

Please, just be an error, that would make this simpler.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2008 05:21PM by Curtis.

stan adams – July 02, 2008 05:30PM Reply Quote
Odd, especially in the light you paint it. Are there folks that you know well enough to "buy 'em a drink" and figure out what is going on? When I was doing contract work I made a point to be "extra nice" to people that were full time employees as well as those that worked for the same staffing company on different clients and also cultivate a few fellow contractors from other firms that were at the same client I was. It was not a perfect defense but I was able to get more information that I supposedly "signed away my rights to" like what how the various staffing companies were slicing the pie and what the honest-to-goodness true ceilings were for rates...

Curtis – July 02, 2008 05:41PM Reply Quote
I have to call the (older, suddenly higher paying) staffing company ASAP tomorrow morning and get ahold of the accountant. They have no reason not to tell me if HR suddenly re-leveled my rate. They don't know about the switch of staffing companies yet (I think). If it was an HR move, I have to get them to tell me who exactly in HR made the change so I can meet with them.

Or, it's all just a mistake. I hope.

Curtis – July 03, 2008 07:04AM Reply Quote
Ah, simple accounting error.

My paranoia often uncovers interesting things, not this time

stan adams – July 03, 2008 07:10AM Reply Quote
CS:
I have had to help folks troubleshoot that kind of situation. I'd say that is a pretty common problem.

http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/articles/eng/1437.htm

Makes cool graphs, not really sure how useful it is...

For C/C++ I've seen some folks using this stuff: http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/articles/eng/3862.htm

Mostly makes me glad I don't code for a living...

SoupIsGood Food – July 03, 2008 06:17PM Reply Quote
Made it thru the check! Woo!

Two entertaining notes on the occasion:

1) The night before I get the call from the headhunter that they're evac'ing me to the new gig, stay cool and wait for the hovertank, I get one of the most vicious nasty-grams I have ever received from a boss from the department head. Not only was I not making the productivity numbers, I was missing them by an order of magnitude! He all but threatened my job over my slacking off on company time! Now, I would be worried and concerned and hurt by this, but I IM'd my team lead, who said, "Yeah, your numbers are good. Out of thirty employees, you're ranked fourth, and you're at the top of third shift, and this isn't even taking into account you basically do no work for two nights out of the week when there are no tickets in que, Sat and Sun") I also I know the guy on 2nd shift who coded the web app that measures tickets-handled and work-accuracy stats, and he was pissed off. (The big boss chewed him out for testing the emergency executive paging system he developed. He tested it with a single word: "Poop!" The CEO of one of the largest financial firms on the planet had that word appear in his inbox due to a flaw in the script.) The dev had inverted the numbers, while carefully stating on the page that the web app was in pre-beta, and not to be relied upon... knowing the big boss was too eager to use the new tool.

So, when I sent in my letter of resignation, the big boss panicked, and thought I was quitting over the email, which couldn't be recalled as our Exchange admin wears big floppy shoes and a red rubber nose... hilarity did ensue. He's a pretty cool guy all told, and yeah, if an admin only handled three tickets in a week, I'd be as pissed as he was. The timing was epic and awesome, and I think the dev did it on purpose... he's best friends with one of my ref's.

2) In an example of how small the industry is, my new boss, at his previous gig, was also the boss of one of the guys I work with on 3rd at VeriSign, on the other team in the NOC.

Roger.

You know, Roger. You all work with Roger. Roger drives a '93 Crown Vic cop car he spent $300 on, and has milked eight years out of it by changing the oil once every other year, whether it needs it or not. Roger wears acid-washed jeans and plaid flannels and concert T's from bands that were never all that popular in 1989 when he bought them. Roger Has An Opinion, and everyone within a three mile radius is aware of it, because he's not terribly clear on the concepts of "Indoors voice" and "Outdoors Voice."

So, I IM'd him about my new boss, knowing they worked at the same place at the same time. Discrete and on the DL, right?

Roger stands up and says, from the other end of the room, "HIM? MY BROTHER HUNG OUT WITH HIM ALL THROUGH HIGH SCHOOL! YOU KNOW THE DIRECTOR WHO SUCKS, BUT GETS ANOTHER DEAL FOR FOUR MORE MOVIES ANYWAY? THAT'S HIM! THAT'S HIS CAREER! HE'S NOT A BAD GUY IN A JERK WAY, HE'S A BAD GUY IN A "I GOT HIGH AND BURNED MY PARENT'S HOUSE DOWN" WAY. HE'S YOUR NEW BOSS? GAWD! IS HE TAKING OVER HERE? YOU GUYS ARE IN TROUBLE IF HE IS!"

I've just been Rogered.

Now I have to explain to everyone on my team that I'm leaving, and where to, and have to promise to give their resumés to my new boss once I start. Bleah.

~ Soop

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login