Spork Boards

Boss Bitch

Simon's Avatar Picture Simon – December 18, 2007 02:38PM Reply Quote
For all your work woes.

El Jeffe – July 20, 2016 02:33PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I like to turn that frown upside down. Tomorrow is my Third Annual Bill Smith Picnic that I TREAT my team and others I know at work to.
Grilling hot dogs and hamburgers. Pretty standard stuff.

John Willoughby – July 20, 2016 05:08PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Nice!

ARL (Moderator) – August 09, 2016 09:36PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I think I've mentioned I'm president of a not-for-profit organisation.

I have to do a performance review of the manager, in fact it's overdue.

Overall the person has done a good job, sometimes in trying circumstances, but there has been a few moments of um, "friction" over the last 18 months or so.

Their chief problems are they sometimes have a bit of a temper and they get quite defensive when any suggestion or constructive criticism is offered. They especially have difficulty apologising or admitting they are wrong. A minor comment is viewed as being critical of their overall performance, saying something like "we need to do your review" or "this issue will need to be discussed later" are viewed as threats to their job security. The manager is now talking about having a union rep at future meetings or reviews.

There's been several minor incidents where I've backed down or let things slide but a line was crossed the other day. I'm now worried about protecting myself from accusations of "bias" or "bullying/harassment" blah blah blah.

I'm wondering what the legalities are about having voice recordings of any phone conversations and/or whether I can insist the performance review is recorded? I'm also considering whether a communication/anger/conflict management type course might be helpful

Any other tips for conflict management?

In a wonderful case of irony the manage is also complaining about some backpay that needs approved, but that can only be done at the review which is now being viewed as a threat to their job security! Oh, and did I mention my role is unpaid?

FML...

Cloudscout – August 12, 2016 01:14PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
That major Delta outage this week was the result of a completely preventable situation.

You just KNOW that there is some mid-level engineer in that company who has been complaining to his bosses for years about the issue and warning them that it would lead to this exact scenario if they didn't invest a token amount in basic upgrades, only to be told that there wasn't money in the budget for it, that he was just being alarmist and that he doesn't understand the pressures that his bosses are under to reduce costs.

John Willoughby – August 12, 2016 06:07PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
And, this week, that engineer was fired by his manager for failing to prevent this disaster.

Cloudscout – August 13, 2016 03:23AM Reply Quote
I'd prefer to be slightly more optimistic about it. I think he was fired two weeks ago for failing to find mandated cost savings and now he's going to be rehired at a higher pay grade.

tomierna (Admin) – August 13, 2016 04:40PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
CS, did you read a post describing the Delta outage, or did you hear something from people in-the-know?

Cloudscout – August 14, 2016 12:41AM Reply Quote
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2016/08/11/delta-ceo-computer-vulnerability-was-a-surprise.html

Bastian said the problem began when an electrical component failed, shutting down Delta's data center. The system moved to backup power but not all the servers were connected to it. "We did not believe, by any means, that we had this type of vulnerability."

Mokers (Moderator) – August 14, 2016 06:26AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Yep, probably didn't want to take a maintenance window to move the remaining servers...

El Jeffe – August 16, 2016 02:24AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
where else have/do they cut costs?

El Jeffe – September 01, 2016 05:20AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
We have one guy in a very technical area that walks on water compared to his co-workers.
The pros and cons, and dynamics of this could be a case study or psych study.
I'm not sure where I stand on such a thing. That is, does it hurt or help ... the company? Department? Team?
Should he go find work elsewhere among his cognitive peers? Or should we find others like him and replace those that have not or CAN NOT ascend to his mental sharpness?
Retain at all costs? Or just get MORE mediocre people to fill his shoes?

He's not above KNOWING he's the sharpest and that manifests itself in a variety of ways but NONE of which are malicious or reduce productivity.

ghidorah – September 10, 2016 09:55AM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
Bill, would making him the lead ease or worsen the friction? Or is this a case of "all the pigs are equal"?

Sucks about the manager T. We had a similar situation here and the anger management challenged micro-manager finally left the manger (retired in a passive-aggressive 6 month transition.) Too soon to know how the new guy will work out but we are hopeful. Regarding recording, not sure how it works in Aus, but if the other guy brings in his representation you should be well within your rights to record the meeting, so long as its acknowledged up front.

Surprisingly, after 7 years of driving school bus, I continue to be content with my situation. ay is up, hours are up and I'm contributing to the family so I've not got a whole lot to bitch about employment wise these days. I know, not what you came to read about. Do we have an "every-things coming up Sporky" thread? =)

El Jeffe – September 10, 2016 10:34AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
He is the lead(ing) guru. And at times I think others feel like he does not hesitate to lord that over them, too. But I think it's cultural and not with ill intent.

ghidorah – September 10, 2016 10:49AM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
Perhaps send him to a workplace leadership camp or perhaps a mentorship from someone with better management skills? Some time the slightest changes in tone can lead to HUGE differences in results.

johnny k – October 24, 2016 06:15PM Reply Quote
Wooo, just fired our nanny for being drunk on the job.

El Jeffe – October 25, 2016 06:11AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
hope responsibilities did not include driving a loved one around.

Cloudscout – October 25, 2016 06:25AM Reply Quote
Wow. That sucks.

johnny k – October 25, 2016 06:41AM Reply Quote
No, responsibilities just included being sober while looking after a baby and a toddler. Came out of nowhere - I'm in and out of the house and would've noticed weird behavior before. Good thing I was home this time. And she drank a couple of our beers too!

ARL (Moderator) – October 25, 2016 03:13PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
There's a story to tell the kids years later: "When you were little you behaved so badly you drove the nanny to drink (our beer!)"

El Jeffe – October 25, 2016 03:59PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login