Spork Boards

Boss Bitch

Simon's Avatar Picture Simon – December 18, 2007 02:38PM Reply Quote
For all your work woes.

Mokers (Moderator) – April 19, 2016 07:26PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
wow, that is a total dick move on their part.

ddt – April 19, 2016 07:30PM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
can I tag on?

Oooh, improv class!

Yes, and then the kids could grab the phone, reset the gambling limits, and now they're living on the road! Well, "the streets" are "the road", too.

ddt

dharlow – April 19, 2016 07:46PM Reply Quote
Mokers
wow, that is a total dick move on their part.

That is putting it nicely.

ARL (Moderator) – April 20, 2016 06:59PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Silly question, how do you guys in your various work situations (either as boss, minion or somewhere in the middle) handle the whole "no contact after you leave with former clients, co-workers, etcetera, whatever"?

I'm a director (el presidente to be precise ... #HumbleBragFTW) of a NFP where staff come and go usually in an amicable fashion. However every now and then we get someone who has to be a complete dick. They're not trespassing or showing up at former service users homes, but calling/texting/facebooking former co-workers and/or service users to have a good 'ole kvetch...

How do you enforce "no further contact" clauses in this instance - bonus points for how to do it when said clause may not have been expressly spelt out in codes of conduct etc.

(Even if it is, how do you then enforce it?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2016 07:00PM by ARL.

dharlow – April 20, 2016 07:01PM Reply Quote
Letter from my lawyer has typically solved the problem in the past.

porruka (Admin) – April 20, 2016 08:33PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
That's a big bag of mostly ugly, ddt. Talk to an employment lawyer.

Cloudscout – April 26, 2016 05:18AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
My weekly governance committee meeting... half the attendees didn't show. I finally canceled the meeting 10 minutes after the scheduled start. 5 minutes later, one of the missing people messages me asking if we were having the meeting this week. Grr.

ARL (Moderator) – April 26, 2016 02:15PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Cloudscout
My weekly governance committee meeting... half the attendees didn't show. I finally canceled the meeting 10 minutes after the scheduled start. 5 minutes later, one of the missing people messages me asking if we were having the meeting this week. Grr.

I feel ya. I do a ring around to make sure there's a quorum. Been burned before.

Cloudscout – April 28, 2016 05:09AM Reply Quote
Today is my 6 month anniversary as an employee at $MAJOR_MEDICAL_DEVICE_COMPANY. Woke up this morning to an email from our CEO saying that we're being acquired by another company.

John Willoughby – April 28, 2016 05:55AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Ugh. Sorry, CS. May you endure.

Cloudscout – April 28, 2016 10:21AM Reply Quote
Well, considering the company that is buying us has been in the news lately for things like this:

http://www.durbin.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/durbin-calls-on-chicago-based-abbott-labs-to-explain-180-layoffs-plan-to-outsource-jobs

I'm not optimistic at all.

dharlow – April 28, 2016 12:02PM Reply Quote
Yup, almost all pharma companies do that now. I think I have trained my replacements 2 or 3x now. Of course they claim no american wants these jobs....

Remember this for the election. Sanders and Trump don't like the H1B program. The Clinton Foundation outsourced their IT to H1B visa folks and Hillary thinks we should increase it, under her husband it was increased to ~195K and she won't name a number that it should go to.

El Jeffe – April 28, 2016 12:34PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I remember driving by Abbot Labs campus in Chicago when I lived there. Seemed big.

John Willoughby – April 28, 2016 12:35PM Reply Quote
You should see Costello Labs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2016 12:35PM by John Willoughby.

John Willoughby – May 05, 2016 10:31AM Reply Quote
I use a VPN for my phone at work because it's nobody's business. I stream old sitcoms (e.g. Futurama) from Netflix because I don't need to look at the screen and I enjoy the audio. Today Netflix told me that I can't watch because I'm using a proxy. Inevitable byproduct of stomping all over the non-US people streaming US content, I suppose, but damned annoying to be a legitimate US user and still blocked. Now I have to give up the practice or let my IT department scan my traffic. They're not malicious, but it feels intrusive anyway. Or I could stream over LTE, if I don't mind blasting through my data usage limits.

James DeBenedetti – May 05, 2016 11:59AM Reply Quote
Netflix streaming is free (no data limits) on T-Mobile.

johnny k – May 05, 2016 12:55PM Reply Quote
So are all MLB games.

El Jeffe – May 05, 2016 01:00PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
t-mobile, by the way, is the second cheapest (cheap/lower) family of FIVE plan offerings, too. $110/month last I checked. Still see it there. Of course there are details... but in general.

John Willoughby – May 05, 2016 03:30PM Reply Quote
Free TMobile streaming Netflix does use a lower resolution... not that that affects my use case above.

bahamut – May 05, 2016 05:41PM Reply Quote
I'd go t mobile but the reception is so bad.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login