Spork Boards

Boss Bitch

Simon's Avatar Picture Simon – December 18, 2007 02:38PM Reply Quote
For all your work woes.

johnny k – July 27, 2015 06:35PM Reply Quote

I'm probably going to get shipped off to Austin for a month

What? You won't be away from the Spork family; I'm right here. Of course you'll probably be up north in an ungodly concrete suburb, but I need to give you back your NeXT monitors. :-P

El Jeffe – July 28, 2015 12:13AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Take inventory and venture forth.

ddt – July 28, 2015 06:46AM Reply Quote
But who will make my bag lunch???

Sounds like a healthy mix of anticipation and dread (hey, we are who we are) -- but maybe that's an opportunity for the kids to visit a new state, and for you to see some new things. As for the former, I can imagine the kids being baffled that they can see the horizon -- "Daddy, where are the mountains? Seeing the curvature of the earth is making me feel weird." Have they been out of the Reno area?

ddt

John Willoughby – July 28, 2015 10:01AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Oh, yeah, the kids have been to California, Florida (Disney World), Virginia, Pennsylvania. One's also been to Colorado, Chicago, and China (choir trips). Humidity is the big novelty for them, when traveling. I'm not dragging the kids to Austin during the first month of school. My oldest has three AP courses this semester; it would be kinder to shoot her than to take her out of school. I'm sure my wife would love to come to Austin, but somebody's got to keep the children from killing each other.

Johnny, I'm NOT taking the NeXT CRT's back. I gave them to you specifically so that somebody else would have the guilt of destroying an irreplaceable chunk of computer hardware history when they became hopelessly broken/obsolete. As long as I don't take them back, my hands are clean!

johnny k – July 28, 2015 11:47AM Reply Quote
I was joking; obviously they're still in my mom's garage. Uh, I think I gave one away as a secret santa gift a while ago. But my wife will adore me when I haul the other one back to put in our new, uncluttered house. Currently I've only got an Apple Studio CRT (the X-Ray one) to fill my useless monitor needs. Some day I'll make that analog ADC-VGA adapter!

John Willoughby – July 28, 2015 11:54AM Reply Quote
I was joking, too, johnny. Though I do hate to throw away any tech that is even remotely significant in Silicon Valley history. That's why I have a pile of Magic Cap devices in my closet...

ddt – July 28, 2015 12:35PM Reply Quote
I could check on whether donations to the Computer History Museum are tax-deductible...

ddt

dharlow – July 28, 2015 04:56PM Reply Quote
Some are but they don't want a lot of stuff, you pretty much need to see if they want it or contact a local computer museum to see if they do.

ddt – July 28, 2015 08:18PM Reply Quote
I suspect we know the locations of a few impromptu local museums... .

ddt

ddt – August 04, 2015 12:07PM Reply Quote
DPBD

I put this on twitter as a joke:

"'BladdrBand', a smart lap band that will remind you to pee. The pitch: There are over 4 billion people in the world, who in total spend trillions of dollars a year, and every one of them pees — if we can capture 0.1% of that market, we’ll be a multi-billion-dollar startup."

You wouldn't believe how instantly that got favorited by pro-startup accounts and self-describe entrepreneurs, and how many "Startup Innovation" etc. lists I got added to. Within seconds.

ddt

johnny k – August 04, 2015 05:55PM Reply Quote
May be robots that respond to some of your $$$ keywords there, especially if they don't follow you, then that's how they found you. I think I got a few new followers just based off of such a tweet, where they were all generic IoT cheerleaders.

porruka (Admin) – August 04, 2015 07:02PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
The startup-centric keyword bot ecosystem is definitely alive and well on Twitter. I troll them occasionally just to see which ones will favorite nonsense.

ddt – August 04, 2015 07:13PM Reply Quote
Yeah, I figured they were bots of some kind. I wish I'd thought of cataloging them, so we could create abuse/block lists!

ddt

dharlow – September 04, 2015 05:18PM Reply Quote
Ugh, client today (aka our boss) we want to move you to a fixed cost model vs the hourly.

John Willoughby – September 05, 2015 10:46PM Reply Quote
iGTVR.jpg

dharlow – September 06, 2015 08:50AM Reply Quote
No kidding.

ddt – September 06, 2015 12:49PM Reply Quote
So, you mean their response will likely be either a) "Why does it cost so much" or b) "Why does it take you that long?"

ddt

El Jeffe – September 07, 2015 01:29AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
agreed.

On the flip side, as an Industrial Engineer, I would do time-motion studies of 'factory' floors and workstations. People were very standoff-ish. But being from an all blue-collar (UAW) family, and having worked in UAW shop as well, I really think they needn't be. My focus was on workstation design, and efficiencies, and ergonomics of ensuring the design was optimal w/o inflicting repetitive motion problems. But, little did I realize that my observations might also save lives of customers. The horizontal gas furnace factory I did some work in had two kids of fuel. natural gas and propane. On either side of 'air' density meant that depending upon the fuel, they needed valves that let the gas to UP or DOWN. The "KITS" that were placed, with each furnace had labels for this. But because the worker often times could not SEE the boxes, the way the workstations were laid out, and the 'pick bins' were terraced, and covering one another up, some of the boxed parts were being mis-labeled. The heavier than air fuel MIGHT be able to dangerously POOL UP, and could cause mis-combustion and perhaps, the plant engineer said, cause an explosion. My eye was always to efficiencies, but NOT in driving the hourly workers harder.

Being about hourly job safety, I loved this that I saw recently.
http://www.wired.com/2015/03/exoskeleton-acts-like-wearable-chair/
http://noonee.com

YDD – January 20, 2016 05:59PM Reply Quote
Not boss per se, but... have you ever had the feeling that your product and development process can be modeled as a large game of Jenga. And that you get given the "maximum priority" assignments just when all structural redundancy has been removed?

John Willoughby – February 16, 2016 06:32AM Reply Quote
Well, my company just unexpectedly fired its CEO. Fun ahead.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login