Spork Boards

Boss Bitch

Simon's Avatar Picture Simon – December 18, 2007 02:38PM Reply Quote
For all your work woes.

Cloudscout – January 20, 2015 06:37PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Back in high school, I worked at a photo lab. After the previous lab manager had been fired, we discovered his secret stash. Whenever customers would come in to get film developed that included nude women, he would print extra copies for himself.

After we found his secret stash, we found his EXTRA secret stash... there was a bulletin board in the lab that was attached to the wall with hinges instead of nails. This allowed him to flip it up to admire the gallery he had posted on the wall behind it.

El Jeffe – January 21, 2015 12:12AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
(hands over ears)

bahamut – January 29, 2015 02:23PM Reply Quote
I assume you returned the photos to the rightful owners?

Cloudscout – January 29, 2015 02:26PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
As I recall, we burned them thinking that, if anyone found out about them, we'd all be stuck in a big pile of steaming poo.

ARL (Moderator) – February 23, 2015 05:07PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
A followup on the last story - the employee (when collecting their stuff) actually asked for the hard drive back.

I have no words...

El Jeffe – February 25, 2015 12:21AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
actually got a good review yesterday for this past year. yay

John Willoughby – July 22, 2015 03:36AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
So, it looks like I may have a new job. Vastly better than the one that I had to take under my non-compete from my last job. Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, the timing won't allow me to give a proper two weeks notice at my current job. It's not required, but I wish that I could have. I'm still waiting, but as soon as the offer letter shows up, it's going to be a case of "I quit, tomorrow's my last day" at my current job. Won't be a fun conversation.

johnny k – July 22, 2015 07:33AM Reply Quote
Sweet! Is this soon-to-be-former job the one with gaming machines and poor morale? I'd also feel bad, but in this case, I'd get over it quickly. If I was soft I'd offer to consult by the hour (as if there's enough time) to ease the transition.

Mokers (Moderator) – July 22, 2015 08:54AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Sucks not to be able to give two weeks, My wife went through this a few years back. She put in her notice and the execs got together to match the pay/benefits package she was getting at the new job and so never had to leave.

ddt – July 22, 2015 09:42AM Reply Quote
Congrats on the new and better gig!

ddt

El Jeffe – July 22, 2015 12:25PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
best of luck. Can you back-date a printed resignation, hide it in boss's office, and say "Hey, I never heard back from you on that resignation thing...."?

John Willoughby – July 22, 2015 03:58PM Reply Quote
Current job is tech support, due to a non-compete my previous job stuck me with. Next job is coding again.

I like your idea, El Jeffe, I may give it a try. The offer letter was supposed to show up today, now they say tomorrow. I will basically be giving 1 day's notice. It's gonna be bad.

johnny k – July 22, 2015 06:02PM Reply Quote
So refresh my memory: the non-compete prevented you from practicing your PROFESSION? Or just that the only other coding jobs in town were in the same industry? Good luck; their pain will be temporary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 06:03PM by johnny k.

John Willoughby – July 22, 2015 06:27PM Reply Quote
Yeah. They laid me off, then enforced a non-compete in my industry. Which is the vast majority of the jobs in my field in this city.

bahamut – July 23, 2015 02:58AM Reply Quote
How long before the first company goes bankrupt JW? That would end the non-compete.

Wait, do you live in California?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2015 03:01AM by bahamut.

John Willoughby – July 23, 2015 07:38PM Reply Quote
No, in NV. And there is wording that says, regardless of jurisdiction, employee agrees that all disagreements are resolved under Nevada law. It doesn't matter; water under the bridge now. The non-compete has expired.

Boss took departure news suspiciously well. Either I'm playing into his plans or he read the signs and figured out it was coming a while ago. Tomorrow's my last day.

Also received formal offer letter. Why is medical coverage always so bizarre? It's like a new type of plan every time I get enrolled somewhere new.

El Jeffe – July 24, 2015 12:12AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I think everything is complicated to keep you too busy to overthrow the idiots in power.

ddt – July 27, 2015 01:28PM Reply Quote
JW: first work day of the new week -- update?

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – July 27, 2015 02:40PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Hmmm... Having some problems being a boss atm...

(no, no this sort of boss, regular old boring boss)

Do not volunteer for boards and committees, it's a trap!

John Willoughby – July 27, 2015 05:02PM Reply Quote
ddt
JW: first work day of the new week -- update?

ddt

I have left my previous job. The boss took the news suspiciously well and couldn't get me out the door fast enough. I may already have been a short-timer there, without knowing it. I am not, technically, employed anywhere at the moment but I have signed the offer letter for the new job.

Filling out paperwork for them now. They've got to run a background check, do the usual new hire stuff. I've got to do some travelling for family business; when that is done, assuming that I pass the background check (no reason I wouldn't), I'm probably going to get shipped off to Austin for a month or so for intensive training, orientation, etc. (Since they're starting up a new, out-of-town studio, they want to be very certain that I do things the approved way. It makes sense; having a remote dev team following their own best ideas on development practices is a recipe for problems. Still not looking forward to being away from home for a month just as the new school year begins.)

Feeling good to put the last job behind me; feeling a lot of anticipation and a certain amount of dread about the new one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login