Spork Boards

Boss Bitch

Simon's Avatar Picture Simon – December 18, 2007 02:38PM Reply Quote
For all your work woes.

El Jeffe – February 01, 2008 02:54PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
If you play your cards right, maybe you can have them projectile ONTO the IRS agents.

What a journey.

stan adams – February 01, 2008 04:44PM Reply Quote
Throw Fred Anderson under a bus -- it worked for SJ!

Lately my 6 yo is a lot more geuser like than the 4 yo. I generally respond with big thick towels, carried swiftly to the wash machine and laundered with copious amounts of odor-hiding detergent.

Cloudscout – February 01, 2008 09:03PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I got a letter from the state back in October saying that the company I used to own owed them for income tax withholding from a time period after I had sold the company. They claimed that I now owed them that money personally because of a laundry list of rules they felt made me responsible for it. I had to file an appeal explaining that all of their reasons for claiming that I owed them this money (it was a little under $12,000) were completely wrong. I finally got a response from them on Wednesday saying that they have accepted my appeal and are rescinding their claim against me. Hopefully your experience follows a similar path.

If not, send your four-year-old to "negotiate."

Cloudscout – March 18, 2008 12:09PM Reply Quote
Has anybody here ever been through a reorg that made sense?

A few weeks ago they laid off a bunch of people and did a reorg. My team members are a little freaked out... not for the usual reasons, though. We're freaked out because:

a) They got rid of the right people.
b) The reorg made complete sense and finally moved our team under a more appropriate senior exec who is working to understand what we do and seems to share our general philosophy regarding processes and practices.

We've become so accustomed to an unsupportive environment that raw cynicism has become an automatic reaction to any adverse situation. But the right things are happening now. Today, a team manager that is known for being abrasive (he literally screams at people during meetings when they don't just give him his way) tried to go over my boss's head in a dispute with my team. He called a meeting with some of my team members, my boss and my boss's boss. My boss's boss basically told him where he could stick it. Actually, I believe his exact words when he cut the guy off in mid-scream were, "Suck it!" He then explained why we were right. The other guy barely uttered a word after that.

There is an odd sense of euphoric disbelief around here today. Someone in a position of authority backed us up. In the past, we were more likely to be thrown under the bus. A guy could get used to this.

El Jeffe – March 18, 2008 12:16PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Drive home safely. It's likely you're about to DIE! :)

What a journey.

Steve Cordova – March 18, 2008 08:49PM Reply Quote
History passes the first time as tragedy, the second time as farts. - Roy Edroso
well, i am on the way to a short recovery. I will start a new job at a new (to me) company on the 31st. I sent my notice to my director yesterday and his very late reply was that he would try to get me out before the 28th with full pay. Since i have banked mucho PTO, its not really a gift. now i need to pack my stuff tomorrow.

All of this is because they reorged us for the second time since December. The latest not only took me from being a quasi Operations Engineer with dedicated customers, back to being on the phones. They took away the 10% pager pay and blackberry allowance with the reorg. Add in a rumor of the entire group being outsourced to India. I am only the first to leave, and know of at least two other top technical people in the area leaving or looking to leave. If (a big if) they do an exit interview before I go, I am tempted to say the reason I am leaving is because I didn't even get a kiss after getting buggered this last time.

sadly, the management for the new team are all new to the company, either picked up from companies we bought/merged or hired from other companies. Management from early on in the company have all either gone on to other companies, or cashed out before the bubble crunch. too bad their numbers sucked with their old companies, and they brought their effecient processes with them and are making life miserable for my soon to be ex-cow-orkers.

Steve Cordova – March 26, 2008 03:14PM Reply Quote
History passes the first time as tragedy, the second time as farts. - Roy Edroso
So, last week, after giving two weeks notice, my boss (whom I have never met) emailed back and said he would work at trying to get me out early with full pay for the two weeks. Today, he emailed (in a reply to someone else giving two weeks notice) that he would have the nominal supervisor in Denver collect my tokens and laptop on Friday when the Denver supervisor gets in, around noon. Yeah, that's early.

stan adams – March 26, 2008 03:56PM Reply Quote
you'll be better off, the sooner you're out the less they can hassle you

Curtis – March 26, 2008 07:52PM Reply Quote
Due to some political squabbling... work is getting "interesting" again.
(I did get a $15k raise last time, which is decent considering I didn't make a lot to start with.)

They've had trouble getting funding for infrastructure enhancements, and can't pay for the other technical guy who has been on loan from another department (Sr. A/V Engineer with 30+ years experience)... and they want me to take over his responsibilities to our department. Starting Monday if they can't get the money. I've got a bad feeling about this...

So in two years I've gone from a visual effects assistant to a guy that does a good chunk of the systems designs and maintenance (a "Technical Advisor" according to HR), to... the sole guy in charge of all technical operations for the department? What the heck? This is part of a Fortune 100 company, mind you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2008 07:54PM by Curtis.

Steve Cordova – March 26, 2008 09:09PM Reply Quote
well, i don't consider getting off at noon on my last scheduled day very early. i'm going to spend tomorrow watching "ghost in the shell: SAC season 1" until 1 pm or so, then hand in my gear. friday is a PTO day.

Cloudscout – March 27, 2008 11:50AM Reply Quote
We had some weird event today with free cookies and stuff in the cafeteria area. Most of the people in my group decided to skip it but I wanted some coffee and figured free coffee would be a good thing. While I was there, I wrote my name on a raffle form and dropped it in the box they had. I didn't know what it was for... I figured it was for some free Casual Day stickers or something. A half hour later, a coworker called me from his cellphone. He was walking past the cafeteria on his way out of the building in time to hear them call my name as the winner of an iPod. As I walked down there, I was hoping it would be an iPod Touch or something but it ended up being a green 1GB shuffle. Still, not bad for free.

stan adams – March 27, 2008 12:03PM Reply Quote
Cloudscout
... Still, not bad for free.

I'm sure HR will put it on your pay stub/tax forms...

Cloudscout – March 27, 2008 12:06PM Reply Quote
Yeah, they've done that for other things. Except I didn't have to fill anything out for this and the entry form didn't have an employee number or anything on it... and I actually got the entry form back with my prize (they taped the slip to the iPod box). Anyway, it's only a $49 item.

Madaracs – March 28, 2008 10:22AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
Oh yeah, well I won an 8-track player. So there!

John Willoughby – March 28, 2008 10:55AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Well, I won an Edison Cylinder Phonograph. So there!

Madaracs – March 28, 2008 11:01AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
Now that's BOSS!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2008 11:02AM by Madaracs.

Cloudscout – March 28, 2008 11:42AM Reply Quote
Oh yeah? I got some clay pots and a porcupine quill.

Dave Loudin – March 28, 2008 01:20PM Reply Quote
Oh, yeah? I got a cave and some charcoal.

tliet – March 28, 2008 02:27PM Reply Quote
Heh, and I won an phonoautograph, sadly enough it didn't come with headphones. Or any audio output for that matter.

Cloudscout – March 28, 2008 08:17PM Reply Quote
This picture is for real... it's my Victrola. It still works and I have a ton (figuratively and literally) of music for it. It sits in my living room.

20080328-victrolasm.jpg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login