Spork Boards

PHP and Unixy stuff...

ARL (Moderator) – March 20, 2008 06:04PM Reply Quote
Hey, hey! I'm looking at sticking my big toe into MySQL and PHP.

Here's the place to share tips/tricks etc and ask dumbass noob questions...

I whinge therefore I am!

tomierna (Admin) – May 13, 2014 08:52AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Perhaps install MacPorts and install the ports version of CVS?

porruka (Admin) – May 13, 2014 09:00AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
tomierna
Perhaps install MacPorts and install the ports version of CVS?

Possibly, but I really have an issue polluting the machine with every version of everything known to OSS developers just to find out if this repo has something I want [re: I'm not even looking for something specific -- I just don't know what's in there].

It would be one thing if I needed (or could at least benefit _generally_ from) the port/dependency structure...

I have a feeling I'm missing (or missed) something from 10.4 to 10.5 since that's when CVSy things changed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2014 09:01AM by porruka.

tomierna (Admin) – May 13, 2014 12:44PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Well, MacPorts is pretty well fenced away from the OS, and it only initially installs and downloads the recipes to the ports tree, not the actual software.

There is a version of CVS available via MacPorts, and any dependencies necessary to install it will be installed under /opt/local. Uninstalling is as simple as deleting that directory hierarchy.

So, should you want to try it, you'd run the install from here: https://distfiles.macports.org/MacPorts/MacPorts-2.2.1-10.5-Leopard.dmg

...then from your terminal as root, you'd run:

port -d self update

...then, you'd run:

port install cvs

porruka (Admin) – May 13, 2014 12:55PM Reply Quote
I'll take another look. The last time I checked on these sorts of things, MacPorts _appeared_ to be no better than Fink (which earned my ire several ways, as I recall).

Thanks Tom!

John Willoughby – May 14, 2014 07:50AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
I've got an Acer Aspire somewhere that runs a hacked 10.4.something (I think). You're welcome to borrow it, as long as you don't update the OS.

porruka (Admin) – May 14, 2014 09:35AM Reply Quote
Thanks JW... I have enough old kit that I can do all sorts of hardware-based solutions too. Who would have thought this would be so painful?

YDD – May 14, 2014 01:26PM Reply Quote
Why not just look into the repo directly? IIRC, the RCS files themselves aren't too hard to interpret (I think the tip of the tree is stored first, with the changes afterwards). It's not a database format (such as SVN).

porruka (Admin) – May 14, 2014 01:51PM Reply Quote
YDD
Why not just look into the repo directly? IIRC, the RCS files themselves aren't too hard to interpret (I think the tip of the tree is stored first, with the changes afterwards). It's not a database format (such as SVN).

Huh. So it is. It's been _that_ long since I've dealt with CVS. 2006 to be exact.

That was easy enough; it appears to be the exact base from which I made my local svn repo. And not required because the items in svn are newer. Thanks for the SlapOfSanity™ YDD.

ARL (Moderator) – July 09, 2014 10:24PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Silly question, anyone here done any fiddling with Bootstrap?

(Technically not php - but it front-ends with it etc etc)

johnny k – July 10, 2014 03:47AM Reply Quote
Yeah, used it for the Twine site to good effect, though we customized it quite a bit. A little heavier than I needed but pretty excellent overall.

ddt – July 10, 2014 05:28AM Reply Quote
Yes, I've fiddled with Bootstrap, ZURB Foundation, and a little bit of Skeleton. You have to commit to learning how each framework does things (and they each have their compromises), but you can do some deep customization.

If you have a Lynda.com subscription (and if you don't, it's pretty easy to get a free 14-day trial), you can browse through their great tutorials on these.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – July 10, 2014 03:13PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
johnny k
Yeah, used it for the Twine site to good effect, though we customized it quite a bit. A little heavier than I needed but pretty excellent overall.

Yeah, it's the "heavy" part I'm worried about.

It looks like it can do some awesome stuff but the learning curve may be off-putting. I've got a lynda.com subscription so I'll see how it goes.

johnny k – July 11, 2014 06:28AM Reply Quote
They have several good templates to get you started. Then just do the usual thing of tweaking to get what you want.

John Willoughby – July 11, 2014 07:14PM Reply Quote
johnny k
They have several good templates to get you started. Then just do the usual thing of tweaking to get what you want.

Oh! I've been doing the usual thing of twerking to get what I want.

johnny k – July 12, 2014 02:35AM Reply Quote
And how's that working out for you?

Dave Loudin – July 12, 2014 04:19AM Reply Quote
Thanks, JW. Now there's coffee to go with the finger smudges on this iPad. It was the mental picture that put me over the edge. :)

ARL (Moderator) – July 13, 2014 04:12PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
See, you lot in the US probably picture Miley Cyrus when you hear the work twerking.

Unfortunately downunder, that wholesome phrase has been forever tainted by this man

johnny k – September 26, 2014 05:34AM Reply Quote
For the iOS devs - https://github.com/workshirt/WSCoachMarksView is an excellent library. Makes it stupid simple to do an introductory tour of UI features when users launch your app for the first time. It'll be in the next update of the Range app - added several new features and wanted to upgrade the opening experience anyway.

porruka (Admin) – September 26, 2014 06:01AM Reply Quote
johnny k
For the iOS devs - https://github.com/workshirt/WSCoachMarksView is an excellent library. Makes it stupid simple to do an introductory tour of UI features when users launch your app for the first time. It'll be in the next update of the Range app - added several new features and wanted to upgrade the opening experience anyway.

Yowzalicious! Looks really interesting; thanks for the link, JK!

John Willoughby – September 26, 2014 06:32AM Reply Quote
Oh, yes, very cool!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login