Spork Boards

Apple's relationship with the press, customers, and dealers

tliet's Avatar Picture tliet – March 20, 2008 05:34AM Reply Quote
Although we don't live in the Apple is beleaguered times anymore, there's still enough to be said about them...
Transplanted once again...

The Gay Blade - 05:54pm Mar 31, 2000 EST
The Blade will attempt to transplant yet another rhetorical sapling here
on the Spork boards by copping a page from the delightful Brian Miller,
writing eloquently on the superannuated boards of yesteryear:

Brian Miller - 03:07pm Sep 30, 1999 PT
The man with a plan

My recent PowerBook G3 fiasco notwithstanding, I am beginning to wonder if
Apple is planning on abandoning "small fry customers." Consider the
evidence:

1) Apple's war with the Macintosh press;
2) Apple's slashing and burning of small local dealers, who often provided
the best service "in a pinch";
3) Apple's continued horrendous customer service breaches (individual Apple
Store orders cancelled in favour of large educaction/business orders).

Pulling all this evidence together and analysing it makes me feel far more
"worried" about Apple's future than any time under Amelio. Consider, for
instance, what all of those resources spent on lawyers threatening tiny Mac
sites could do in customer service and relations.

Before we consider Apple's "invasion" into the Fortune 1000 enterprise to
be ready, we have to focus on Apple's status in its own current markets. In
my view, there's a lot of "retrenching" to do before they're ready. They
can start by ceasing their intimidation of Mac publishers, letting the damn
Mac rags publish OS 8.6 on their cover disks, and spending a bit more time,
effort, and energy on a "satisfy the customer at all costs throughout the
organisation" policy. These are all core competencies they'll need before
they can even THINK of invading the big-enterprise space.
[/quote]

stan adams – May 13, 2010 02:36PM Reply Quote
bahamut
Today Hulu just slammed HTML5 as not being ready for the purposes. We'll see how they do as far as iPad apps go, the context of that is clear.

The thing is that the user experience of Apple's iBooks is so low (inferior to kindle) that we might as well go with LCD books and magazines. The demos of Wired via Flash are in an entirely different league than iBooks.

I am curious to see what mind altering things a "user experience designer" can do in Flash that are not possible to implement in either the iPhone OS SDK or HTML5. I do believe that currently it may be more difficult to do some things in the non-Flash world, but to say it CAN NOT be done strikes me as false in the extreme. In fact I suspect that any one that says such a thing is really revealing their lack of talent. I am reminded of an IBM from about a decade ago where a "boss" is trying to build an "ecommerce site" and the dunderheaded techies that he has assigned to the task can't do much more than make a "flaming logo" -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LkQrtCIFA4

Now don't get me wrong, it may very well be that in this the first iteration of Apple's iPad the tooling to build really slick interactive immersive multi-media-esque applications that expand upon the metaphor of a "periodical" in every way is slightly lacking, yet to think that because of that lack of the answer is to go with a stack of technologies who roots lie in a world of slide shows and amateur animation strikes me as bizarre. Apple has EVERYTHING TO LOSE if they do not produce tools of stunning quality, power and ease of use. Does no one believe that their acquistions over the last decade or more have been HIGHLY STRATEGIC, AMAZINGLY SYNERGINISTIC, and RUTHLESSLY PROTECTIVE of their abilities to grow?

Admittedly. maybe I am mistaken, and no one really spends money on the products that Apple does not tout as publicly as say "iTunes", but it sure seem this is important stuff to people doing some pretty specialized stuff:
http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1202
http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1201
http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=656

ARL (Moderator) – May 13, 2010 03:33PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
OMG - does this sound a bit like MS's freedom to innovate?

johnny k – May 13, 2010 06:00PM Reply Quote
bahamut
Today Hulu just slammed HTML5 as not being ready for the purposes. We'll see how they do as far as iPad apps go, the context of that is clear.

The thing is that the user experience of Apple's iBooks is so low (inferior to kindle) that we might as well go with LCD books and magazines. The demos of Wired via Flash are in an entirely different league than iBooks.

a) Apple doesn't care if you do HTML5, because the alternative is you write an iPhone app if you want to play in their space.

2) What don't you like about the iBooks user experience? I know that Instapaper is the app I use the most on the iPad. Great thing about the iPhone OS is that you can write your own reading app, like Amazon has. Can't do that on Kindle. If it's about the hardware, I can understand personal preference, but e-ink is not catching up on the cost/benefit curve fast enough to be relevant.

bahamut – May 13, 2010 06:31PM Reply Quote
There's nothing to like about the iBooks experience. The shelf is stupid, it replicates Kindle needlessly, etc. I don't get why it's there.

Mokers (Moderator) – May 14, 2010 09:30AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Tony Leggett
OMG - does this sound a bit like MS's freedom to innovate?

I love how they say in the letter that they formed the Open Screen Project in 2009 to make sure flash runs on mobile devices. So what was Apple supposed to do with its device that was sold in 2007?

ARL (Moderator) – May 20, 2010 04:00PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Adobe endorses HTML5?

Steve wins again.

tliet – May 20, 2010 06:58PM Reply Quote
Not quite, as the WebM video project is not based on h.264 but rather on a codec that Google bought and has now open sourced. So now we have the following situation;

h.264 support in the browser: Safari, Chrome, IE9
WebM support in the browser: Firefox, Chrome, Opera

Hm, my guess is it'll take another 2 years for this to be sorted out. Apple will probably refuse to support WebM, as the patent thing has not been sorted out, initial analysis by an x.264 developer showed so much similarity between WebM and h.264 that he does not believe Google will get away with it. http://bit.ly/bMDWcC

John Willoughby – May 20, 2010 08:58PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Also, it showed a number of deficiencies and its only real advantages were over earlier open codecs. I think that Google rushed this announcement to make its battle with Apple cover more fronts. I think Android is a great phone and device OS, but the rest of Google's announcements didn't impress me.

tliet – May 20, 2010 09:42PM Reply Quote
Steve agrees, it's dead.

ARL (Moderator) – May 21, 2010 03:19PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Well, maybe the kerfuffle there will distract from the one about Flash.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – June 15, 2010 02:45AM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
So everyone In town has gotten the e-mail from Apple announcing the opening the opening of the new Apple store 3 blocks away from my store this weekend. Even my girlfriend got it and she's a windows user.

ddt – June 15, 2010 06:30AM Reply Quote
wow, phred, you're open-minded.

ddt

John Willoughby – June 15, 2010 08:34AM Reply Quote
Dr Phred
Even my girlfriend got it and she's a windows user.

Apple's just hoping she'll send them dirty text messages.

Cloudscout – June 15, 2010 11:24AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Wow. Just... wow.

Um, Apple? This is really not good. It's time to cut ties with AT&T. Seriously.

John Willoughby – June 15, 2010 11:31AM Reply Quote
Saw another article about the Goatse breach. Apparently, given the information that the hackers obtain, the IMEI of the iPad can be calculated. Opening users up for having their location and phone numbers accessed and potentially attacks by faked cell towers.

John Willoughby – June 15, 2010 04:24PM Reply Quote
Oops. IMSI, not IMEI. Sorry.

Cloudscout – June 15, 2010 06:08PM Reply Quote
Not to be confused with IMSAI.

file.php?4,file=112,filename=IMSAI8080.jpg

ARL (Moderator) – June 22, 2010 06:09PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Hmmm...

Anyone think the buy and rental prices for movies on iTunes are ridiculously high?

In Australia its A$25 to buy and A$6 to rent. The US prices are U$15 and U$4 respectively.

Last time I looked the $A exchange rate was not US 66 cents. With quickflix I get rentals at $2.50 and the "red room dvd" dispenses new releases for $2.50. Why should I give an extra $3.50 to Apple?

Music prices are similarly skewed.

Cloudscout – June 22, 2010 06:58PM Reply Quote
Even at US$15, the prices are ridiculously high to me. I would never pay that much for a movie download.

stan adams – June 23, 2010 10:59AM Reply Quote
I am very curious about the pricing of many kinds of content-- Time Magazine wants $5 a copy, kindle books are very costly, I would prefer to borrow the physical book from a library or maybe go looking at one of the many pretty well run used bookstores.

Yet a still download a song for about a buck and play that song over and over. How much longer will that last?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login