Spork Boards

Apple's relationship with the press, customers, and dealers

tliet's Avatar Picture tliet – March 20, 2008 05:34AM Reply Quote
Although we don't live in the Apple is beleaguered times anymore, there's still enough to be said about them...
Transplanted once again...

The Gay Blade - 05:54pm Mar 31, 2000 EST
The Blade will attempt to transplant yet another rhetorical sapling here
on the Spork boards by copping a page from the delightful Brian Miller,
writing eloquently on the superannuated boards of yesteryear:

Brian Miller - 03:07pm Sep 30, 1999 PT
The man with a plan

My recent PowerBook G3 fiasco notwithstanding, I am beginning to wonder if
Apple is planning on abandoning "small fry customers." Consider the
evidence:

1) Apple's war with the Macintosh press;
2) Apple's slashing and burning of small local dealers, who often provided
the best service "in a pinch";
3) Apple's continued horrendous customer service breaches (individual Apple
Store orders cancelled in favour of large educaction/business orders).

Pulling all this evidence together and analysing it makes me feel far more
"worried" about Apple's future than any time under Amelio. Consider, for
instance, what all of those resources spent on lawyers threatening tiny Mac
sites could do in customer service and relations.

Before we consider Apple's "invasion" into the Fortune 1000 enterprise to
be ready, we have to focus on Apple's status in its own current markets. In
my view, there's a lot of "retrenching" to do before they're ready. They
can start by ceasing their intimidation of Mac publishers, letting the damn
Mac rags publish OS 8.6 on their cover disks, and spending a bit more time,
effort, and energy on a "satisfy the customer at all costs throughout the
organisation" policy. These are all core competencies they'll need before
they can even THINK of invading the big-enterprise space.
[/quote]

tliet – November 15, 2009 06:00AM Reply Quote
Apple's arrogance is up to stratospheric levels these days. Any consumer good sold in the EU needs to backed by a 2 year total warranty, minimum. Even after these 2 years, as a consumer you are expecting a product to last for a reasonable time. So, if it goes up in flames after 2.5 years, you can expect some reason from a manufacturer. And oh, you don't have to prove that you didn't abuse the device in question.

Anyway, the Dutch consumer organisation has noticed an enormous increase in complaints about Apple over the past 2 years and has tried to get in touch with them. The resellers are hiding behind Apple's 12 month warranty and Apple is saying flat out that it wouldn't be fair to AppleCare buyers if they honoured the (by law required) 2 year warranty.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out; Apple's arrogance against consumer laws that actually have some teeth.

Translated link to consumer's rights org.

tliet – November 15, 2009 06:03AM Reply Quote
DPBD

The resellers get stuffed here, because they have the duty to honour the 24 month warranty as that's the seller the consumer did the transaction with, not Apple. They have to eat these costs against the 4 percent margin or so they are making.

bahamut – November 16, 2009 01:47PM Reply Quote
Bet they don't sell them Time Capsules in the Low Countries, eh?

Mokers (Moderator) – November 16, 2009 06:25PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Apple should just raise the price of their iPhone the cost of adding Apple Care for a year.

ARL (Moderator) – December 02, 2009 04:22PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Apple really sometimes just don't get it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2009 04:23PM by Tony Leggett.

stan adams – December 03, 2009 06:24AM Reply Quote
In the US defending one's IP is not a choice, its a necessity. If you don't vigorously go after any infringement no matter how minor, once it is brought to your attention, the next time some one else infringes, no matter how flagrant they might be, the lack of defense in the first case MAY make latter cases unenforceable.

The further problem may be that once the settle with even one "reasonable" person it necessitates have a team that full time settles with every flagrant abuser. Leads to a mindset that believes it is more cost effective to "torch the crops and salt the fields" with massive legal action. Sucks to be the "big target" but that also means they bring the "big guns"...

John Willoughby – December 03, 2009 06:42AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
And, at least in the iPodRipper case, it's not like Apple hasn't been quite public about suppressing the use of the iPod trademark in the past.

stan adams – December 03, 2009 11:47AM Reply Quote
I sorta have vision in my head of the lawyer for the iPodRipper guys, saying like "you know if you would have checked with pretty much anyone that was not amped up on two weeks worth of diet pop I think you could've come up with SOME name that made up at least a little bit less of a target"...

ARL (Moderator) – December 03, 2009 12:54PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Well, he had prior ownership of the name, he just forgot to trademark it properly. I've no problem them going after people who infringe on the name after Apple's used it, but really I think here they should come to some sort of deal. (Oh, and the courts have already ruled in his favour, Apple is now just trying to lawyer him out of business...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2009 12:56PM by Tony Leggett.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – January 14, 2010 06:00AM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
So, our friends at Apple are opening a new store 3 blocks from us.

That's so kind of them.

Local story on it.

John Willoughby – January 14, 2010 06:23AM Reply Quote
Oh, that sucks. I'll bet they looked at how much business you were doing, sales and service, and decided that Apple should be making that money. One hell of a reward for keeping their brand alive in the Dark Days.

El Jeffe – January 14, 2010 11:28AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
"Rosedale, Southdale and Ridgedale."

There is a Dell joke in there somewhere.

Cloudscout – January 14, 2010 02:59PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
There are four malls around the Twin Cities collectively called "The Dales". The ones with Apple Stores are all somewhat upscale, however, they have a castoff sibling called "Brookdale" that has fallen on hard times and is almost completely vacant now.

When the Mall of America first opened, people jokingly referred to it as "Hugedale".

Oh, a bit of trivia for you: Southdale has the distinction of being the first modern shopping mall as we know them today.

ARL (Moderator) – January 26, 2010 10:13PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

John Willoughby – January 27, 2010 06:23AM Reply Quote
The article doesn't seem to address the record companies' role in iTunes pricing. It's been widely reported that the last time Apple's iTunes prices went up in the States, it was forced on Apple by the music industry. Why would Apple's pricing in Australia follow the opposite model? The iTunes store was very late coming to Australia; I suspect the music companies were demanding higher prices.

ARL (Moderator) – January 27, 2010 01:26PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
It's not all about the record labels (although ARIA are royal douchebags...)

The are some smaller outfits in Australia that sell music online and they charge less (sometimes much less) than Apple.

Dave Loudin – January 27, 2010 03:44PM Reply Quote
Doesn't Apple have to negotiate with each label in every country/market? Amazon charges less for songs than Apple, in general, but that is because of the deal the labels worked out.

Simon – January 27, 2010 09:21PM Reply Quote
Yes, the labels gave Amazon very favourable terms to make them competitive against Apple. There's no doubt that similar things are happening in Australia.

ARL (Moderator) – January 31, 2010 08:32PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Is Steve Jobs back on the coffee?

Google and Adobe in one tirade... (not that I don't agree with his sentiments)

John Willoughby – February 01, 2010 06:57AM Reply Quote
While I agree that Flash is dangerously unstable, a security risk, and better off dead, I think that the real reason that it isn't on the iPhone is because you can make relatively sophisticated apps with it and put them on the iPhone via the web. No app store, no Apple gate keeper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login