Spork Boards

Apple's relationship with the press, customers, and dealers

tliet's Avatar Picture tliet – March 20, 2008 05:34AM Reply Quote
Although we don't live in the Apple is beleaguered times anymore, there's still enough to be said about them...
Transplanted once again...

The Gay Blade - 05:54pm Mar 31, 2000 EST
The Blade will attempt to transplant yet another rhetorical sapling here
on the Spork boards by copping a page from the delightful Brian Miller,
writing eloquently on the superannuated boards of yesteryear:

Brian Miller - 03:07pm Sep 30, 1999 PT
The man with a plan

My recent PowerBook G3 fiasco notwithstanding, I am beginning to wonder if
Apple is planning on abandoning "small fry customers." Consider the
evidence:

1) Apple's war with the Macintosh press;
2) Apple's slashing and burning of small local dealers, who often provided
the best service "in a pinch";
3) Apple's continued horrendous customer service breaches (individual Apple
Store orders cancelled in favour of large educaction/business orders).

Pulling all this evidence together and analysing it makes me feel far more
"worried" about Apple's future than any time under Amelio. Consider, for
instance, what all of those resources spent on lawyers threatening tiny Mac
sites could do in customer service and relations.

Before we consider Apple's "invasion" into the Fortune 1000 enterprise to
be ready, we have to focus on Apple's status in its own current markets. In
my view, there's a lot of "retrenching" to do before they're ready. They
can start by ceasing their intimidation of Mac publishers, letting the damn
Mac rags publish OS 8.6 on their cover disks, and spending a bit more time,
effort, and energy on a "satisfy the customer at all costs throughout the
organisation" policy. These are all core competencies they'll need before
they can even THINK of invading the big-enterprise space.
[/quote]

John Willoughby – February 29, 2016 01:53PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
A step in the right direction. In a New York drug case, judge calls the attempt to apply the All Writs Act to decrypting an iPhone "absurd." Six times.

ARL (Moderator) – March 09, 2016 02:52PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Snowden weighs in:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/09/edward-snowden-fbi-san-bernardino-iphone-bullshit-nsa-apple

Um, if the FBI can hack the phone as Snowden claims, then why are they bothering with the legal bunfight with Apple?

John Willoughby – March 09, 2016 03:10PM Reply Quote
Because they are trying to set a legal precedent that companies MUST decrypt their devices under the All Writs law if requested to do so by the FBI. It was never about this one phone. If it was, they could have approached Apple in private. This would have allowed Apple to render assistance without establishing binding precedent.

ARL (Moderator) – March 09, 2016 06:15PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
John Willoughby
Because they are trying to set a legal precedent that companies MUST decrypt their devices under the All Writs law if requested to do so by the FBI. It was never about this one phone. If it was, they could have approached Apple in private. This would have allowed Apple to render assistance without establishing binding precedent.

Aha!

So I'm not paranoid!

(And should I continue wearing wearing my tin-foil hat?)

El Jeffe – March 10, 2016 01:52AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
ARL
Snowden weighs in:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/09/edward-snowden-fbi-san-bernardino-iphone-bullshit-nsa-apple

Um, if the FBI can hack the phone as Snowden claims, then why are they bothering with the legal bunfight with Apple?

It's never what it seems. Nor might it be with Cook or Apple. Think of all the possibilities, not just what is being spoon-fed.

YDD – March 10, 2016 01:21PM Reply Quote
If one wants to be really paranoid... perhaps there's a weakness in the current generation of encryption algorithms, but which they don't want to disclose. By doing this, they avoid awkward questions about how they were able to decrypt the phone.

El Jeffe – March 10, 2016 05:03PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I can't believe hardly even one premise.
who's to say it was even a phone in that guy's possession? That there even IS a phone? Why'd they supposedly destroy their other phones, but conveniently not this one and get themselves killed to not be able to lay claim to this phone? If all is to be taken on the up and up, I at least applaud Cook's fervent stance on this issue. But frankly, I don't know if I can trust any of the actors in this play.
I would HOPE BEYOND HOPE that our government would or could be ernest and forthright, but that's turning a blind eye to so many things that one observes.

ARL (Moderator) – March 10, 2016 06:41PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

El Jeffe – March 14, 2016 07:13AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Wow. I don't watch John Oliver, and I feel like he really tries too hard in spots here, but still good on many levels.

eg - Lindsay Graham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsjZ2r9Ygzw

El Jeffe – March 15, 2016 05:12PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Someone said my idea of Apple leaving the USA was ridiculous. Alex Lindsay on this Mac Break Weekly pondered just that.

John Willoughby – March 15, 2016 08:19PM Reply Quote
It doesn't really matter; not if they want to sell hardware in the USA. Just as the UK is currently trying to mandate a backdoor in phones sold in the UK, the US could impose similar requirements.

johnny k – March 16, 2016 02:49AM Reply Quote
Gotta wonder where companies will draw the line and back up their talk if countries start mandating user-hostile policies. Google seems to have "left" China in 2010, though there's some level of accessibility still. Cisco simply built the Great Firewall, and I'm fuzzy on whether China and/or the NSA had their assistance on backdoors in Cisco products. I can see Apple withholding sex iPhones from just the UK to prove a point (no amount of bribing lobbying could convince the state to give up power anyway), and if Apple's explainers remain on their game, sentiment will bend the UK government before it does Apple. The US market would be impossible to deny, so it's probably a good thing that the FBI wanted to fight it out in public before they could sneak in legislation.

I really don't like that we're depending on a corporation doing the "right thing." You might say that the profit motive is pure and transparent, but a company without Apple's long-term view would have happily acquiesced. And I really don't like that it's using corporate personhood as justification. This is the same path that Hobby Lobby took to deny birth control to its employees.

ARL (Moderator) – March 16, 2016 04:09AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Agreed, JK. In general I'm not wild about most companies acting on their "beliefs", usually because many have narrow minded ones I disagree with.

It's just lucky that Apple's stance is one I agree with.

(Tim Cook's view on company tax however...)

John Willoughby – April 03, 2016 02:39PM Reply Quote
P-Apple3.5_28x43.5_Zoom.jpgEvery Apple product to date?

Article.

ARL (Moderator) – April 03, 2016 03:32PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Wow.

John Willoughby – April 03, 2016 04:36PM Reply Quote
I notice that my 2012 NON-Retina MBP doesn't seem to count as a product.

dharlow – April 03, 2016 08:47PM Reply Quote
It seems to leave quite a few off or just has one of a line.

El Jeffe – May 03, 2016 01:54PM Reply Quote
What a journey.

John Willoughby – May 05, 2016 08:58AM Reply Quote
Apple to take Chinese iPhone trademark fight to Supreme People's Court. That headline makes me picture Judge Wapner in a Mao jacket. Or possible Diana Ross in a Mao jacket. Hot...

El Jeffe – May 05, 2016 09:22AM Reply Quote
What a journey.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login