Spork Boards

Apple's relationship with the press, customers, and dealers

tliet's Avatar Picture tliet – March 20, 2008 05:34AM Reply Quote
Although we don't live in the Apple is beleaguered times anymore, there's still enough to be said about them...
Transplanted once again...

The Gay Blade - 05:54pm Mar 31, 2000 EST
The Blade will attempt to transplant yet another rhetorical sapling here
on the Spork boards by copping a page from the delightful Brian Miller,
writing eloquently on the superannuated boards of yesteryear:

Brian Miller - 03:07pm Sep 30, 1999 PT
The man with a plan

My recent PowerBook G3 fiasco notwithstanding, I am beginning to wonder if
Apple is planning on abandoning "small fry customers." Consider the
evidence:

1) Apple's war with the Macintosh press;
2) Apple's slashing and burning of small local dealers, who often provided
the best service "in a pinch";
3) Apple's continued horrendous customer service breaches (individual Apple
Store orders cancelled in favour of large educaction/business orders).

Pulling all this evidence together and analysing it makes me feel far more
"worried" about Apple's future than any time under Amelio. Consider, for
instance, what all of those resources spent on lawyers threatening tiny Mac
sites could do in customer service and relations.

Before we consider Apple's "invasion" into the Fortune 1000 enterprise to
be ready, we have to focus on Apple's status in its own current markets. In
my view, there's a lot of "retrenching" to do before they're ready. They
can start by ceasing their intimidation of Mac publishers, letting the damn
Mac rags publish OS 8.6 on their cover disks, and spending a bit more time,
effort, and energy on a "satisfy the customer at all costs throughout the
organisation" policy. These are all core competencies they'll need before
they can even THINK of invading the big-enterprise space.
[/quote]

Roger – September 19, 2014 07:40PM Reply Quote
Sounds like Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy to me. I mean, sure, fine, there's a lot more that technology could do and I'm also disappointed with it a lot of the time, but despite being a depressive cynic at heart, having a Mac and an iPhone makes my life hugely better almost every day, and I don't think it's disingenuous for Apple to try to make some hay from that.

Today I recorded a podcast talking about a book with an old friend and our other friends can listen to what we think over the Internet. Yesterday I went to meet my friend downtown; I knew exactly when the bus would be there so I got to the stop on time, and I didn't have to have exact change because I bought an electronic ticket. She knew when I got there by tracking my location as the bus got stuck in traffic and I could send her unobtrusive text messages about where we'd meet up without interrupting her work. When I go to a new city I can find good places to eat and stay within five minutes. When I don't know how to get somewhere I can always get directions. All this stuff is basically wonderful and it's kind of reasonable for the ads to focus on it and not the niggling details that don't always work perfectly or the fact that your phone doesn't do your career planning (seriously? and mine couldn't do that much worse than I have, anyhow).

porruka (Admin) – October 16, 2014 08:00AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
I still haven't figured out the Disney/ABC angle with Apple these days.

Today's event live blogged by ABC News? Just trying to be hip? My gut says there's more to it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2014 08:01AM by porruka.

tomierna (Admin) – October 16, 2014 09:23AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Modern Family name drops Apple products all the time.

Weirdly, last night's Pixar Toy Story of Terror on ABC had a promotional spot for the new Penguins of Madagascar animated film. That's right, ABC/Disney/Pixar took money from Dreamworks to promote one of their properties.

porruka (Admin) – October 16, 2014 09:33AM Reply Quote
tomierna
Modern Family name drops Apple products all the time.

Weirdly, last night's Pixar Toy Story of Terror on ABC had a promotional spot for the new Penguins of Madagascar animated film. That's right, ABC/Disney/Pixar took money from Dreamworks to promote one of their properties.

Product placement in shows is one thing and that I understand.

Competing ad placement I understand as well; the ads are ultimately what pay the bills for a measurable chunk of the "free" content, though I suspect that slot didn't go cheaply.

The news arm being involved with things this closely seems, well, new, as of the September event. While the "major news organizations" have covered Apple announcements in the past, I don't recall them being quite so active about it. To my perception, it's usually passive replay of PR, effectively.

And unless I missed it, ABC News didn't liveblog Google's Nexus announcements, right? They certainly didn't seem to announce it via their mobile apps (unless they only announced the Google side of things on an Android version, which raises a different set of questions).

It could very well be nothing or the gasps of attempted relevance but it sure makes me go hmmmm...

Roger – October 30, 2014 07:02AM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – October 30, 2014 12:07PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Ok… I'm straight… there, I said it… NOW… good news in other thread...

ARL (Moderator) – November 03, 2014 01:26PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

porruka (Admin) – November 03, 2014 03:01PM Reply Quote
Logic has nothing to do with it; Putin's homophobia does.

MTK (Moderator) – November 06, 2014 03:14AM Reply Quote
China milks Tim Cook's coming-out party: http://www.campaignlive.com/article/china-milk-company-comes-out-support-apple-ceo/1320758

Out and About,

MTK

Cloudscout – January 21, 2015 04:26PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Once beleaguered, now boring:

http://spar.by/V3uOo

ARL (Moderator) – January 21, 2015 05:16PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I agree with that analysis.

Apple is the new Microsoft. And not in a good way...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 05:17PM by ARL.

johnny k – January 21, 2015 07:00PM Reply Quote
Don't agree. I want boring. Cutting edge means you bleed. Apple's the same as it's always been, never first, always timing launches to when technology is ripe. Great melding of software and hardware inside instead of just surface treatment. It was exciting when Apple was the underdog and had to stand out, but now Apple looks like its stagnated when it's been honing the parts instead. Generally, Apple doesn't invent new product categories - it reinvents them.

Now Microsoft's the underdog and it has to do the attention-grabbing stuff. Were they ever exciting when they were crushing the world? No.

ARL (Moderator) – February 10, 2015 11:30PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

ARL (Moderator) – February 28, 2015 06:38PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Hang on to your hats guys:

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2015/02/26/4187424.htm

Four Corners doesn't pull punches. This will be an interesting story:

Apple is the most valuable brand on the planet, making products that consumers love to buy. But how does this company treat its workers, when the world isn't looking?

The BBC's Panorama program goes undercover inside the factory in China that makes the big-selling Apple iPhone 6. There we see the price paid by Chinese workers on the production line.

Apple has made a series of promises that are supposed to protect the workers in factories that supply products for the company. Those promises are comprehensive and involve guarantees about working conditions, even detailing minimum standards of accommodation for workers who have travelled hundreds of miles to work in these factories.

Under-cover cameras, though, show a very different picture. Employees are treated like they are prisoners. They are threatened and forced to sign work sheets that show them agreeing to long hours of overtime. Many fall asleep at the end of long shifts, making the work environment dangerous for themselves and others.

But it isn't just the factories that turn out the products that create questionable conditions for health and safety.

Reporter Richard Bilton goes to Indonesia to see the abysmal conditions of miners and their children working to gather tin used in electronic products. Landslides in the open cut mines are frequent and often lethal. Apple says it doesn't knowingly buy tin from illegal miners, but the people who make their living mining and smelting tin tell a quite different story.

Is this powerful company making billions of dollars each year really doing all it can to protect the people who make its products and the materials that go into them? Or is their promise of being a good global corporate citizen a sham?

APPLE'S BROKEN PROMISES, reported by Richard Bilton and presented by Kerry O'Brien, goes to air on Monday 2nd March at 8.30pm on ABC. It is replayed on Tuesday 3rd March at 10.00am and Wednesday 4th March at midnight. It can also be seen on ABC News 24 on Saturday at 8.00pm and ABC iview.

El Jeffe – March 01, 2015 02:11AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Aside from this one narrow aspect, I wonder why the collective 'we' allow China to exist the way it does whatsoever?
Let alone TRADE with them, and make them persuasive and powerful.

ddt – March 01, 2015 05:28AM Reply Quote
Capitalism, basically.

What do you mean, "allow"? Aside from aircraft carriers, China is bigger and more powerful than "we".

ddt

El Jeffe – March 01, 2015 05:54AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Their importance is buttressed by our trade, first and foremost.
prohibit / embargo trade unless or until they bring their human rights (real ones) issues up to tolerable policies.
Being that I'm not a diplomat, that's as far as would care to flesh out policy.

El Jeffe – March 01, 2015 08:52AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
totally concur.

Cloudscout – March 01, 2015 09:04AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Because the only people who take that kind of thing seriously are the ones who get dismissed as tree-hugging, commie-hippies.

"Of course I think human rights are important... unless it means I can't have an iPhone, a flat-screen TV and disposable diapers."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login