Spork Boards

iPhone

tliet's Avatar Picture tliet – December 16, 2007 10:22PM Reply Quote
Discuss it here

Cloudscout – March 06, 2008 10:46AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Hmm. Might have to talk to our Enterprise Messaging Team and see if we're going to get in on the beta here.

tliet – March 06, 2008 11:10AM Reply Quote
The SDK might be a fast moving platform. The way they are handling it is much like the original Intel announcement and the iPhone itself. Things aren't finished yet, but in the meantime, they've got to throw a bone.

It's better this way, by the time the first iPhones will be ready for the new applications, developers and Apple will have had some time to get familiar with the platform and the (im)possibilities.

johnny k – March 06, 2008 11:53AM Reply Quote
Is it much different from Mac OS updates, MM? Developers get a beta and SDK months beforehand. I doubt the iPhone is any less complex, with more intensive resource management and a different system to learn. Even the developers who have been hacking will have some new things to learn in the official, 2.0 OS.

The dev site is slammed right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2008 11:55AM by johnny k.

Mokers (Moderator) – March 06, 2008 12:04PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
How long before iPhone 2.0 beta is leaked? Jailbreak iPhone 2.0 with new apps...

Madaracs – March 06, 2008 12:09PM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
Screw the iPhone. Windows is better. And apparently a little cheaper. Yet surprisingly the similar...

Reminds me of the shuffle that was created with the FM tuner. Only it wasn't a shuffle. It was an MP3 player. That could also play AAC files. And looked a lot like a shuffle.

Cloudscout – March 06, 2008 12:18PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
See also the Meizu M8.

Madaracs – March 06, 2008 12:19PM Reply Quote
But wait there's more... If you order now we'll throw in this we're-gonna-get-so-sued-by-Apple-deal-it-will-make-our-heads-spin phone now with the free trade-embargo-and-pressure-from-the-US!

Robert Taylor – March 06, 2008 02:27PM Reply Quote
From madaracs first link

TI OMAP850 200MHZ CPU

Hee hee hee.

Hint: go look up what the iPhone's CPU is.

Simon – March 06, 2008 02:41PM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – March 06, 2008 05:01PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
They can install it on their own iPhones; remember the SDK demo with the tethered iPhone? They explicitly said the software was running on the iPhone.

John Willoughby – March 06, 2008 09:06PM Reply Quote
[DPBD]

Oops. I was wrong. Simulator-only until June, then you need to be registered (at $99/year) even to put your own app on your own iPhone. I can live with it, assuming that there is no other barrier to becoming an iPhone developer by June.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2008 09:08PM by John Willoughby.

John Willoughby – March 06, 2008 09:09PM Reply Quote

tliet – March 06, 2008 09:43PM Reply Quote
Apple is using the notion of 'open', using open standards and open source software, while creating a huge tollbooth. The app distribution channel is exactly what I expected it to be, although it's nice that FREE is also an option.

iTunes is becoming the tollgate Microsoft was expecting to own when they bought Firefly to make it into Passport. In the end; Apple has won, a respectable feat.

Madaracs – March 07, 2008 03:41AM Reply Quote
I won't pay!

ddt – March 07, 2008 06:00AM Reply Quote
is it too early to say much about steve's one-sentence reply to a question about allowing VOIP over wifi? who develops that sort of thing? what's needed in an app to do that?

w/ no experience in the topic,

ddt

tomierna (Admin) – March 07, 2008 06:05AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
There are several software-only VOIP apps for the Mac, some are SIP and some are IAX2.

Skype is a bastardized closed-system VOIP. I bet they will have a client real quick.

I've not tried the ones listed on this page, but here's a list of VOIP softphone apps for MacOSX:

http://www.voip-sol.com/top-softphones-for-mac-os-x/

stan adams – March 07, 2008 06:20AM Reply Quote
Yes but...

VOIP makes a TON of sense for a business to implement, because business phone plans SUCK and damned near every business is SO friggin' over commisionsed for bandwidth (if you factor out the slackers sucking bandwidth at YouTube on company time, yeah I'm looking at YOU Willoughby ;^)

At home it might make sense if you call A LOT of people far away (or one person really far away and talk A LOT).

But cell plans are pretty much already a better deal than VOIP, so what is the point?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2008 06:20AM by stan adams.

ddt – March 07, 2008 06:25AM Reply Quote
thanks!

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – March 07, 2008 07:07AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
For example, due to budget cutbacks, a state institution no longer hands out cell phones to several employees lower down on the food-chain. If a certain tech worker in their employ had VOIP on their phone, he or she could tap into the campus' abundant WiFi network and could perhaps use their own cell phone without the institution having to foot over any money for their cell phone plan when it is used for their work.

I agree it wouldn't really save that much at home, since most plans including free roaming anywhere.

El Jeffe – March 07, 2008 07:25AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Again, I just have to reiterate how brilliant an idea it is for VOIP, especially DSL. I mean, whoddathunkit that you could talk over phone wires!!!!!!

What a journey.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login