Spork Boards

iPhone

tliet's Avatar Picture tliet – December 16, 2007 10:22PM Reply Quote
Discuss it here

John Willoughby – September 12, 2017 09:57AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
I was pretty sure that, if I can stream all of Apple Music to it, I'd have to have a separate data plan.

bahamut – September 12, 2017 09:58AM Reply Quote
Love the new Apple4k TV. Only two years too late. This will work with Logitech harmony one, right?

John Willoughby – September 12, 2017 09:59AM Reply Quote
I doubt that they've changed the IR signals that it responds to, but I have no authoritative answer.

John Willoughby – September 12, 2017 10:00AM Reply Quote
I'm glad that they confirmed that an Amazon app is still on the way.

Roger – September 12, 2017 10:00AM Reply Quote
There's now a page at https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/ with a list of supported carriers; the links to the carriers' Watch-specific landing pages don't seem to work yet but probably will soon.

ddt – September 12, 2017 10:01AM Reply Quote
How would one access Control Center on an iPhone X?

ddt

John Willoughby – September 12, 2017 10:08AM Reply Quote
Swipe down from the status symbols on the upper right of the phone, according to the guy on stage. Intuitive, no?

John Willoughby – September 12, 2017 10:54AM Reply Quote
Anybody know if a wireless Qi charger will work through a normal, thin (leather or plastic) phone case? If I have to take the case off every time that I want to charge the phone, it loses all of its advantages.

ddt – September 12, 2017 11:10AM Reply Quote
If it's inductive magnetic fields, it _should_, but there's physics and there's product specs.

ddt

Roger – September 12, 2017 11:31AM Reply Quote
So, is there going to be an iPhone 9?

El Jeffe – September 12, 2017 11:45AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
John Willoughby
I'm glad that they confirmed that an Amazon app is still on the way.

and almost as if instructed or clipped/redacted, no one applauded the Amazon mention. IIRC

Ok, who's getting an 8 or X ?

John Willoughby – September 12, 2017 11:47AM Reply Quote
I'll get an 8. It's an improvement over my 6s, and both kids are clamoring to upgrade to the 6s from their 5s phones.

Roger – September 12, 2017 12:05PM Reply Quote
I'm sticking with the 7 but the 8 looks like a great incremental upgrade, just like the 7 was. I guess probably seeing them in person will make the X look like a more obviously better device but based just on the presentation I'm surprised how little I end up really lusting for it.

The cellular Watch, though, that I'm probably early-adopting.

porruka (Admin) – September 12, 2017 12:23PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
What will I get? Let's see how many new customers I can rustle up and/or units of plasma I can sell in the short term.

El Jeffe – September 12, 2017 12:54PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I think the numbering means the OLD iPhone line will get this 8 and then one more rev to 9. Then all X from here on out.

Roger – September 12, 2017 01:31PM Reply Quote
Yeah, that's my guess too. But will there also be an XI to sell alongside the 9? The parallel tracks for high-end and "normal" iPhones make the version numbering kind of weird — I guess it's a bit like with the "old" models they've kept around to occupy lower price-points in the past, but it's unclear where the "Phone from the Future" is going to slot in, say, next year and in two years.

John Willoughby – September 12, 2017 01:46PM Reply Quote
So many co-workers have asked me enthusiastically if I am getting the X that I am wondering what I missed about it. (None of them are getting it, but they know I'm insane.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 01:47PM by John Willoughby.

El Jeffe – September 12, 2017 02:01PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
ok. thought.
for instance. drive thru. I have my left thumb in touchID. McDs person has to remove the POS terminal and stretch it to me, and I can barely reach sometimes to make it all work.

How does this transact with iPhone X?

Roger – September 12, 2017 02:41PM Reply Quote
I mean, the idea is that the tap-points are supposed to be separate, and be in a convenient location. Obviously this isn't how it works with a lot of the existing POS (apt acronym) systems and in that case I don't know — maybe there's a little time-lag or you can re-tap after authorizing if you need to? That usually seems to be how it works for me with TouchID.

ARL (Moderator) – September 12, 2017 03:41PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Oh, where to start with the iPhone X - did they do *any* accessibility testing before making this device? And sweet jebus, the iPhone X promotional video is a one-man Jony Ive circle-jerk.

Barf.

Thank god the 8 has a physical home button. I *may* at some point consider that as an upgrade from the current 5S I have.

Apple watch is sadly no good for me as I smash watches against my wheelchair during daily use (and again, accessibility).

AppleTV4K - what Baha said. Way too late, still too expensive. I'm happy to stream 1080 to my TV via a Chromecast a quarter the price. I used to be one of AppleTVs biggest fans but now I say fuck you, AppleTV, and the overpriced horse you rode in on. (And again, did anyone do *any* accessibility testing on that gimmicky remote they now come with?)

Haven't looked in detail at iOS11. The gimmicky emojis are pretty, but can they please just fucking fix Siri?

Wireless charging though, that does make me giddy as a schoolgirl (I'll break the mold and not complain about the loss of legacy wires. Shocking, I know...). Wireless charging is the one bright spot in a parade of shiny superficial aesthetics put way ahead of function.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 03:44PM by ARL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login