Spork Boards

iPhone

tliet's Avatar Picture tliet – December 16, 2007 10:22PM Reply Quote
Discuss it here

dharlow – June 27, 2017 11:12AM Reply Quote
Put iOS 11 on my iPad last night, it is pretty cool. I could see where on the 10.5 and 12 it would be a huge leap.

John Willoughby – July 06, 2017 10:40AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Cellebrite allegedly cracked the encryption of an iPhone 6. Many significant aspects remain obscure.

ARL (Moderator) – July 31, 2017 05:41PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/technology/mobiles/iphone-8-details-leaked-in-apples-own-homepod-software-20170731-gxmocy.html

Developer Steve Troughton-Smith spotted the release on Saturday and has been tweeting out his discoveries since then. Based on the firmware, the HomePod is essentially a big iPhone with no screen, Troughton-Smith says.

I don't grok what this means...,

porruka (Admin) – July 31, 2017 07:56PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
ARL
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/technology/mobiles/iphone-8-details-leaked-in-apples-own-homepod-software-20170731-gxmocy.html

Developer Steve Troughton-Smith spotted the release on Saturday and has been tweeting out his discoveries since then. Based on the firmware, the HomePod is essentially a big iPhone with no screen, Troughton-Smith says.

I don't grok what this means...,

The guts are like an iPod touch but newer (and I'm assuming with no cell radio), as contrasted with the Touch Bar on the MBP which apparently runs a watchOS variant but reduced hardware.

The import of this is the power -- in theory, it gives HomePod a _lot_ of horsepower to do things currently unannounced.

johnny k – August 08, 2017 07:32PM Reply Quote
Anyone have an iPhone 7 Plus they're looking to sell?

johnny k – September 07, 2017 04:36AM Reply Quote
Wife just dropped her SE in the tub. Looks like the screen is solid pink, sometimes responds to touches (can hear the clicking on the pin code pad). Anyone try replacing a screen themselves? Had a shop do this for an iPad mini and after a month or two the touch stopped working, so I'm leery of third party parts.

Otherwise, good timing, if she can suffer with her old dumbphone for a week or two.

El Jeffe – September 07, 2017 08:16AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
NEW PHONE! NEW PHONE!

John Willoughby – September 07, 2017 10:46AM Reply Quote
johnny k
Wife just dropped her SE in the tub.

Your wife must be really careless!

James DeBenedetti – September 07, 2017 09:20PM Reply Quote
Johnny - I replaced the screen on my son's 5S (very similar to the SE) with a kit from iFixit. The video told me to remove some conductive tape that didn't need to be removed, which ended up torn / wrinkled when I put it back, but it seemed to work fine. It was a pain though, so when we decided to replace the battery a week or two later (it was 3.5 years old at this point), I had a shop do it. The phone stopped responding to touch a couple days after that, so I just gave up and borrowed my dad's old 5S for him instead.

El Jeffe – September 08, 2017 01:36AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
The only repair I have failed at and refuse to attempt again is the screen/digitizer. I will dive into about ANYTHING .... once... but not that AGAIN.

johnny k – September 10, 2017 08:23PM Reply Quote
Yeah, not sure. If it's about $50 that I might be wasting rather than buying a new one for ~$300 (it's 64GB, I think), may be worth the shot.

In the meantime, my MBP's SSD gave up the ghost utterly. Takes about a day of trying restores to discover that. Just got a new Samsung Evo SSD, seems to be working well so far. While I had it open, I reinstalled the original wireless module - I had bought one of those replacements to give my 2010 model Bluetooth 4.0, and it had never worked. So back to being able to use my Apple mouse, but now WiFi doesn't work. Maybe I guessed wrong on the antenna cables. Also, have two more screws than when I started. :shrug:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2017 08:28PM by johnny k.

Mokers (Moderator) – September 11, 2017 09:32AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin

Also, have two more screws than when I started.

Somehow, this happens every time I attempt a repair.

John Willoughby – September 11, 2017 09:49AM Reply Quote
Every time my uncle rebuilt his cars, he'd end up with extra parts. He threw them under the back seat in case he figured out what they were for later. Sometimes he did, mostly he didn't.

porruka (Admin) – September 12, 2017 07:58AM Reply Quote
Over/under on Hair Force 1 jokes about the links?

Also, review of the theater showing early.

dharlow – September 12, 2017 08:08AM Reply Quote
Theater looks great, hopefully they start using it more than a few times a year for product announcements.

El Jeffe – September 12, 2017 08:23AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Southeast Indy Angela represents! :)

porruka (Admin) – September 12, 2017 08:38AM Reply Quote
I like the watch progression but we're getting to Amelio-level fragmentation

Roger – September 12, 2017 08:44AM Reply Quote
How so? This is literally the first time there have ever been two models of Watch with a feature difference. Cosmetics don't count.

porruka (Admin) – September 12, 2017 08:52AM Reply Quote
Roger
How so? This is literally the first time there have ever been two models of Watch with a feature difference. Cosmetics don't count.

How many variants are there to choose from now? Part of the Amelio-era failure was not just the number, but that the model differentiation wasn't clear enough. Besides price band, what's the point of leaving Series 1 in the lineup? It's pretty obsolete at this point (as opposed to the phone or iPad models where the low end isn't crippled compared to the top end).

porruka (Admin) – September 12, 2017 08:54AM Reply Quote
Atv 4k - interesting price point.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login