Spork Boards

iPhone

tliet's Avatar Picture tliet – December 16, 2007 10:22PM Reply Quote
Discuss it here

johnny k – September 14, 2016 01:45PM Reply Quote
Jumping in a bit late because it's a lot to chew on. I agree with Porruka and Roger's broad strokes. But yeah, the reasons for dropping the jack are mostly bullshit. The real reason is that a voice interface is going to be a major thrust for Apple in the near future, perhaps starting with the next iPhone, and it's going to require more than the analog jack can service. Doing this now will prime the ecosystem so that a lack of hardware options becomes a weak link in the chain (and Apple discreetly telegraphs quite a bit to hardware makers). Beats is critical to this thrust, but it will help that other manufacturers get on board as well. So in the short term, dropping the headphone jack may be only removing functionality, but it will help usher in a major UI change.

I don't like that it may cause trouble for my thermometer, but that's why we're making a Bluetooth LE one. (Almost ready - shipping by November.) I've also seen that the Square reader works with the dongle, so I'm optimistic that ours will too.

I get the personal angst, even more so the fact that it's forced on us, but as far as a general indicator of doom, we've got much better ones.

ghidorah – September 14, 2016 02:24PM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
I agree with the big nut. If next year doesn't bring the apple watch phone they will be late to the party.

El Jeffe – September 14, 2016 04:28PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
cool!

johnny k – September 14, 2016 05:21PM Reply Quote
ghidorah
I agree with the big nut.

?! Wasn't that my handle like 20 years ago? What the hell kind of memory do you have?

El Jeffe – September 15, 2016 12:30AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
proof of time travel

ddt – September 15, 2016 07:35AM Reply Quote
What the hell kind of memory do you have?

EPROM?

ddt

johnny k – September 15, 2016 06:50PM Reply Quote
Anyone jumping on one of the carrier deals for a "free iPhone 7 with trade-in of an iPhone 6 or better"? How free is "free"?

ddt – September 15, 2016 08:12PM Reply Quote
Meh. To tell you the truth, even if it were cost-neutral, I don't care to take the time.

ddt

johnny k – September 16, 2016 03:25AM Reply Quote
Ditto. I think that theoretically you could pick up a 16GB 6 for $300, and trade it in to get $650 toward a 7. Then selling your existing model, you could make a few hundred. Caveats are that you have to go to the new T-Mobile One plan, and I'm not sure what condition trade-ins are required to be in.

AT&T has a similar deal.

Roger – September 16, 2016 10:33AM Reply Quote
Yeah, I'm doing T-Mobile's trade-in offer on my iPhone 6. It's 100% free, actually a pretty good incentive — and you don't actually have to switch to the new plan. (It pays off over two years so it's effectively very similar to a two-year contract where the early termination fee is just paying off the rest of the phone.) They didn't give me a hard time at all about the phone's condition on my last trade-in, and I figured this was the last such deal the 6 would probably be eligible for.

johnny k – September 16, 2016 07:16PM Reply Quote
Good to know, Roger. Moving to the One plan is plastered all over the page, but if I can keep my old plan, I'm jumping on it.

Roger – September 17, 2016 08:30AM Reply Quote
It's weird how much it looks like they're requiring the new plan now — they promised me otherwise (after I clicked through the order process about six different ways) but who knows how the order will turn out.

johnny k – September 17, 2016 09:01AM Reply Quote
You did it completely online? I read someone saying that a store rep assured them they could stay on their plan. I might go to a store to get whatever leeway I can.

Roger – September 17, 2016 09:09AM Reply Quote
Yeah, I did it online from one of the upgrade links in My T-Mobile (I can no longer remember which, they all seem to work slightly differently) and online customer service told me it was okay. You're probably right that in-store is a better option.

ghidorah – September 17, 2016 01:33PM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
eidetic.

truth be told its probably spasmodic memory.

John Willoughby – September 18, 2016 09:36AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

bahamut – September 19, 2016 05:54PM Reply Quote
Amazing how popular the 7 and especially the 7 plus is.

Is it the

Whole number
2 year upgrade cycle
Or camera?

James DeBenedetti – September 19, 2016 06:32PM Reply Quote
2 year upgrade cycle + black (70% of sales are for a color that hasn't existed since the 4S).

John Willoughby – September 20, 2016 06:10AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I'm not buying, this round, but if I was it would be the increased storage that attracted me the most.

porruka (Admin) – September 20, 2016 07:18AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
I currently have a 6. If I can figure out how to pay for it, it'll be a 7+ for me for two main reasons:

1) Dual camera
2) Need for testing hardware completeness (bigger screen for things the simulator just won't cover)

The extra battery will be nice, of course.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login