Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

iPhone

tliet's Avatar Picture tliet – December 16, 2007 10:22PM Reply Quote
Discuss it here

johnny k – September 12, 2017 06:18PM Reply Quote
ARL
Thank god the 8 has a physical home button. I *may* at some point consider that as an upgrade from the current 5S I have.

Flashes of touch bar MBP backlash. It sounds like the value proposition of the X is that you get to have animoji in exchange for being a beta tester for the new tech. Which I can seriously see some people jumping over. It'll be interesting to see the mainstream uses for that facial feature tracking. Other than surveillance state, that is.

Can't say I'm getting any of these, but I've got a pretty recent iPhone. I'm tempted by the Apple TV's sports integration—the NBA app on Roku sucks ass, and that's sorta the main reason I use it. But I gave up waiting for this model a year ago, and the Roku Premiere+ is solid now, after early frequent purple screens.

ARL (Moderator) – September 12, 2017 08:14PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Another query about this facial recognition thing - what happens if you grow or shave off a beard?

Bruce Robertson – September 13, 2017 12:56AM Reply Quote
Loose lightning port, losing connection while charging. I thought I had that too, a while ago. Took it in.
I was reluctantly SURE I would need a replacement.
Nope.
They picked out, blew out all the lint.
Restored a very solid reliable connection.

ARL (Moderator) – September 13, 2017 02:30AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Just saw the video of the facial recognition fail in the keynote.

Not as bad as win98 scannergate, but still...

("Oh-hoho, lets go to backup here" should be a meme for weeks)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2017 02:32AM by ARL.

bahamut – September 13, 2017 03:26AM Reply Quote
Do you know anyone who has seen iPhone X and thought it was a must buy?

My 14 year old : you can already do animoji on Snapchat
My 11 year old : congratulations, apple, you mad a Samsung galaxy.

I will upgrade to an 8 plus just because I am on the apple plan and I have already busted too many of these 7 pluses that the on,y ways to be safe is to do so.
My wife wants an 8 since she has been two years on her 6 and my 11 year old will get the 6.

The 8 is otherwise totally not compelling from the 7. It has nothing new. Induction charging would be ok except that you are always burning electricity with it right?

johnny k – September 13, 2017 04:52AM Reply Quote
Bruce, had the same experience with my 6s+. Didn't see anything in there but a Lightning port rejuvenation with a paperclip got a ton of lint out and it has a solid fit again.

My little experience with the 7+ is that it's a little faster, little brighter and a little bit better at photos than its predecessor. The 8 seems the same way, and that's fine. Mine feels like it should last me another 3 years - 5 years would be crazy for a phone. The reason I got it is the only reason I'd upgrade—better photos of the kids.

Baha, does your 11yo have a Galaxy? I know they're just 11, but... design is not how it looks, but how it works. "What Apple did better, and affected the industry, was not innovation in the sense of some new BS product category that didn't exist ever, it was delivery." Until it's good enough for people to rely on, it doesn't exist on a mass market scale.

Though I am curious as to whether these advances that are good enough to make it to the mainstream - are the flawed versions such as what Samsung often puts out, good enough for younger generations to assimilate?

John Willoughby – September 13, 2017 06:21AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
ARL
Another query about this facial recognition thing - what happens if you grow or shave off a beard?

I guess that you can use your passcode and retrain it. They did say that it adjusted over time, so that if you grow a beard you should be okay.

John Willoughby – September 13, 2017 06:22AM Reply Quote
Bruce Robertson
Loose lightning port, losing connection while charging. I thought I had that too, a while ago. Took it in.
I was reluctantly SURE I would need a replacement.
Nope.
They picked out, blew out all the lint.
Restored a very solid reliable connection.

Good idea, my pocket is a very linty environment, I'll try that. Thanks, Bruce.

John Willoughby – September 13, 2017 06:45AM Reply Quote
Wow. Cool use of AR.

El Jeffe – September 14, 2017 02:45PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Ok, most of this spreadsheet and gyrations are hidden... but here is result of my ranking the current Apple iPhone offerings.

El Jeffe – September 15, 2017 06:43AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
How does one dispute Apple Pay transaction "at the till"?
I paid for my daily donuts, guy kinda looked at me and said do or try it again. I showed him on phone where it recorded the transaction, and that I did not intend to pay twice.
Long story short, I walked out.
There needs to be a way to dispute; or even "UNDO", maybe....

porruka (Admin) – September 15, 2017 07:30AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
El Jeffe
How does one dispute Apple Pay transaction "at the till"?
I paid for my daily donuts, guy kinda looked at me and said do or try it again. I showed him on phone where it recorded the transaction, and that I did not intend to pay twice.
Long story short, I walked out.
There needs to be a way to dispute; or even "UNDO", maybe....

The people at the register don't have much flexibility in a case like that. With the clusterfuck that is the ongoing rollout of EMV and Cardless, the approvals are opaque (and this is a good thing). The bad side-effect is that if the vendor side has any issues that don't clearly communicate the "do this again and why" status, everyone winds up with exactly what you describe. Truthfully, the same thing could happen with physical cards as well but you wouldn't know (unless you have active alerts set up) until later.

You would need to dispute with your bank, explaining what happened.

I had a similar situation with a grocery store self-service checkout, I received confirmation but the register was hung up. Walked out with the groceries _with permission_ because the other component to this is customer service and the clerk you encountered was apparently not trained well enough to (a) handle it on his own or (b) recognize that he should get someone else involved.

El Jeffe – September 15, 2017 08:24AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
similarly, same store could NOT process my payment one day, and just said "It's FREE" and told me not to worry about it. I came back later and made good, though.

John Willoughby – September 15, 2017 08:42AM Reply Quote
Sometimes I have had my Apple Pay say that the transaction was "Done," but the store would not have the transaction as completed. I'd just do the transaction again. I haven't been double-charged, yet. Obviously, of less concern when buying a few groceries than a big ticket item.

porruka (Admin) – September 15, 2017 09:02AM Reply Quote
Strictly speaking, when Apple Pay says "Done" (the checkmark in the circle), all that's happened is that the credentials token has been generated and delivered. The store systems still have to process/clear the token; this is, from what I can tell, the point when the push notification is sent.

John Willoughby – September 15, 2017 09:23AM Reply Quote
I figured that it was something like that; the user's part of the transaction is done, but not the complete process. I've been really happy with Apple Pay; ordered my iPhone 8 with it last night.

El Jeffe – September 15, 2017 11:10AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
SO, for me...

1. I told him ApplePay
2. Asked him to tell me when he's ready.
3. He cleared the loyalty card prompt; told me READY.
4. I authenticated with phone
5. Green checkmark
6. time passes. He said it did not work
7. My now BLANK BLACK locked screen... I unlocked it, opened wallet, went to card used, and transaction history.
8. showed him my transaction.
9. He said I needed to do it again.
10. I declined and left.

At this time, my wallet (APP) still hows I transacted 9 hours ago for that card.
But, my System settings, for that card does not have it in the recent transactions list.

ApplePay HICCUP or what?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2017 11:11AM by El Jeffe.

John Willoughby – September 15, 2017 11:33AM Reply Quote
I can't help. I use my watch to Apple Pay and I never checked the transactions there.

porruka (Admin) – September 15, 2017 12:30PM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
SO, for me...

1. I told him ApplePay
2. Asked him to tell me when he's ready.
3. He cleared the loyalty card prompt; told me READY.
4. I authenticated with phone
5. Green checkmark
6. time passes. He said it did not work
7. My now BLANK BLACK locked screen... I unlocked it, opened wallet, went to card used, and transaction history.
8. showed him my transaction.
9. He said I needed to do it again.
10. I declined and left.

At this time, my wallet (APP) still hows I transacted 9 hours ago for that card.
But, my System settings, for that card does not have it in the recent transactions list.

ApplePay HICCUP or what?

I'll have to take a look and see if I can definitively answer. It appears that Wallet is noting the token generation while the System settings is looking for completion.

El Jeffe – September 16, 2017 11:57AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Pulled trigger on refurb 6s Plus 128.
I'll see if I can get used to it; my EYE need it.
And if NOT, perhaps look at 8 and X once they are in stores. And pass this to my wife.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login