Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

This Old Mac

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – February 21, 2017 02:19PM Reply Quote

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2017 02:21PM by bahamut.

bahamut – February 21, 2017 02:39PM Reply Quote
So I got my daughter (and wife) i7 Macbook Airs from 2013 and 2014. Nice little laptops. Probably faster than what's being done today. So why should we keep up?

Meanwhile, I got my daughter's late 2010 11" Macbook Air. I've already upgraded it with a 250gb drive and may get a bigger one too.

What would you all do to speed up this little critter? While I have the fastest Macbook Pro ever made, e.g. my 15" 2015 i7 flagship, it's nice to have a little data bucket that weighs less than half as much. So what are some best practices for getting old Macs going as fast as possible? Oldest OS for it? Second oldest? Newest? Or??? It's currently running Yosemite.

PS if we can host the image on this server, let's do that. Who knows how long other link will last.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2017 02:41PM by bahamut.

ARL (Moderator) – February 21, 2017 07:39PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
That photo is giving me nerd lust for all the storage, processing & graphics power, and I/O ports it could have.

My laptops have hardly ever left the house. The most they travel is from my office/lounge to on over-bed table in my bedroom (where it's used 90%+ of the times I bother with it).

A BBMBP-LE (*Luggable Edition) would suit me fine.

Imagine the possibilities.

Sorry, thread drift. I'm in the middle of cleaning up an old 2009 edition macbook (such a great machine). It's currently running 10.9.x. Should I leave it at that?

ARL (Moderator) – February 21, 2017 07:43PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

While I have the fastest Macbook Pro ever made, e.g. my 15" 2015 i7 flagship, it's nice to have a little data bucket that weighs less than half as much.

Baha, shhh!

Ixnay on the "weighs less than half-ay" !

Jony & Tim are listening...

bahamut – February 22, 2017 10:23AM Reply Quote
I put Sierra on the little Macbook 11". I couldn't resist! I wanted to use it with my new Airpods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login