Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

Planet of the Apps

El Jeffe's Avatar Picture El Jeffe – February 14, 2017 01:05AM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – February 14, 2017 01:09AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
First thought, reminiscent of Trump's Apprentice. I watched that first season, but none since. Even was in Chicago when Bill Rancic (winner of Apprentice) and Trump were there for opening of Trump tower... total coincidence. Was just there for family vacation. That was the last straw for ME and Chicago. Totally lost interest in the city at that point. Glad I moved away.

But, will this Planet of the Apps even be worth ONE SEASON? I can't imagine how.

John Willoughby – February 14, 2017 06:02AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
I don't intend to watch any of it, unless I hear some great reviews. Not my kind of show to begin with, and not likely to be Apple's forté.

[EDIT]

Yeah, this seems about right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2017 06:12AM by John Willoughby.

El Jeffe – February 14, 2017 07:12AM Reply Quote
What a journey.

ARL (Moderator) – February 14, 2017 03:35PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Oh good God. What are/were they thinking?

Gwenyth Paltrow and Jessica Alba? Who's the target audience? David Avocado Wolfe? The new-age ghost of Steve Jobs?

We now have a bakers dozen...

bahamut – February 14, 2017 05:15PM Reply Quote
I had a friend who had both the 20th anniversary mac (got it at the fire sale) and the Cube. He loved them both.
I have fondness for the Newton and for everything the Pippin could have been.

As far as terrible Apple products, I never bought an iPhone 5s, which was the least exciting upgrade ever.
More seriously there was the x200 Performa with the hardware flaw that crashed Open Transport, the Lombard and its damaged USB implementation,

ARL (Moderator) – February 14, 2017 05:41PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I'm very happy with my iPhone 5s, still going strong 3+ years later.

But yeah, some on the list are debatable (I googled "worst apple products" and picked a link).

I thought Newton had potential. If you paid full-price for a TAM or a Cube - you'd have buyers remorse I think.

Aside from the usb glitch, the Lombard was a great machine (Pismo was better of course).

Still, that miserable show will rank right up there with Star Wars christmas special...

John Willoughby – February 15, 2017 06:14AM Reply Quote
I really liked the iPhone 5s. Also my Newton MessagePad and Twentieth Anniversary Mac, for that matter.

bahamut – February 15, 2017 08:09AM Reply Quote
Aside from the USB that made it crash randomly all the time? Ah yes, a minor squibble.

I made my kids watch the Star Wars special this year. They were stunned.

ddt – February 15, 2017 08:34AM Reply Quote
Did they call Child Protective Services? Did you have to Ludovico them?

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – February 15, 2017 03:21PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
JW, did you pay full price for the TAM?

John Willoughby – February 15, 2017 03:39PM Reply Quote
ARL
JW, did you pay full price for the TAM?

Oh, hell no. Somewhere around $1,200 if I remember correctly.

ARL (Moderator) – February 16, 2017 02:32PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Pity.

I was about to make you a valuable business proposition™

bahamut – February 17, 2017 02:42AM Reply Quote
ddt, they screamed. they were horrified. i think a swinger's party would have shocked them less.

ddt – February 17, 2017 06:53AM Reply Quote
Swinger parties are happy fucking. That is sad fucking over of something people already have fond memories of.

ddt

John Willoughby – February 17, 2017 07:00AM Reply Quote
It wasn't so much that it was a badly-written, corny variety show, it's that it was a badly-written, corny variety show featuring old people who clearly had no idea what a "Star Wars" was.

ddt – February 17, 2017 07:01AM Reply Quote
So I found myself wondering how VCs think about their work being presented as gut calls based on a few seconds of pleading and then I caught myself and said fuck you self that's pretty much what that do only within the context of "oh, you went to Stanford too and we know people in common so cool".

ddt

ddt – June 09, 2017 01:57PM Reply Quote
Tried watching the first ep in the background but the techbro language (crush, kill) and jargon made me physically ill. Not to mention how crappy and small these... well, they call them "ideas"... are, while the presenters wrap them in the aggrandizement of whoohoo. Wow, you found another way to get people possibly to buy chairs. You know, Glen Garry Glen Ross characters were not meant to be seen as fucking HEROES.

Though I did like how the women told three techbros that their dating app is creeper central and that if they'd ever thought to run it by an actual woman they'd have known that. This happens a LOT in the Bay Area.

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login