Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

little clouds of gloom

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – February 03, 2017 07:00AM Reply Quote
instead of dying, iCloud seems to be spreading.

time for a thread for me to bitch about it.

bahamut – February 03, 2017 07:00AM Reply Quote
does anyone use iCloud regularly?
does it slow down anyone's mac?
I have 150bps up and down, even over wifi, so that's not it.

Mokers (Moderator) – February 03, 2017 09:49AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I use icloud for find my mac/ find my phone. I disabled all of the offline storage bits.

John Willoughby – February 03, 2017 01:30PM Reply Quote
England expects that every man will do his duty. Ha-ha!
Sometimes I'll save a Pages doc there, but I mostly use Dropbox for my online storage. I can't deal with the half-support that any Apple product not in this season's limelight receives.

Mokers (Moderator) – February 03, 2017 01:45PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
good point. I use dropbox mostly because that is what 1password integrates the best with.

However, I have moved most of my music to Amazon music.

And I get 1TB of One Drive for subscribing to Office365, so I store some stuff there.

Photos? Wife uses Picasa, so we are on google drive.

I use my synology to link all of my accounts and mirror files that I want to various locations. Works for the most part.

ddt – February 03, 2017 02:20PM Reply Quote
Not even sure if/what I use w/r/t iCloud, which should say something. The various incarnations/levels/integrations just confuse me, and when I update an OS and am asked to sign into things, I can't remember which does what. Which should say something about the product design, messaging, and mission(s).

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – February 03, 2017 02:32PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Love the thread name...

bahamut – February 03, 2017 04:41PM Reply Quote
Thanks ARL, admit it took me a while to come up with it.

El Jeffe – February 04, 2017 01:03AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I have the iCloud. I use the iCloud. I don't really think about the iCloud much.

Cloud solutions I do THINK ABOUT include Netgear's Arlo security camera's cloud storage.

We are still 5 years from the whole cloud solution thing making much more sense. Make iCloud great!

johnny k – February 04, 2017 05:56AM Reply Quote
I'm fine with iCloud. I think the key-value storage part is underrated because we never see it, but developers use it to sync preferences, etc (and it's easy to code). I don't use the document storage much because Dropbox conforms to me, instead of forcing me to file things by application. But docs that I start on an iOS device, mostly spreadsheets, live in iCloud.

John Willoughby – March 22, 2017 07:38PM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – March 22, 2017 10:03PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Hmm... trying to think if I have anything in the cloud.

El Jeffe – March 22, 2017 11:53PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
already changed my passwords. not sure what else to do. shrug.

John Willoughby – March 23, 2017 07:00AM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
already changed my passwords. not sure what else to do. shrug.

Do you have two-factor authentication set up?

El Jeffe – March 23, 2017 02:30PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I have a few accounts. I do on some not all.

ARL (Moderator) – March 23, 2017 05:45PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Apple's two-factor authentication is confusing AF.

Took me hours to figure it out...

John Willoughby – March 24, 2017 05:46AM Reply Quote
And then there's the difference between "Two step authentication" and "Two factor authentication." Switching from the former to the latter was an enormous pain in the ass.

[EDIT]
Just checked, and I am still on "Two-Step Verification." Looks like it didn't take when I tried to switch months ago. Dammit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 05:48AM by John Willoughby.

John Willoughby – March 24, 2017 06:42AM Reply Quote
OK, for anybody who isn't sure if they're on Apple's older, two-step authentication or the newer, two-factor authentication:

Easiest way to tell without logging into your iCloud account is if you see a map showing a location when you log into iCloud on a new device, you've got 2FA. If you just get a Message with your code to enter, it's two-step authentication.

For a how to on switching: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207198

I got messed up in set up because of all the codes it sends around. At the last step, it asked for a passcode. I had none. I had to call Apple Support before I could understand that it was asking for my phone's passcode. Which it then made my official iCloud passcode (not password) against my will. The only way to assign a new one is to erase my keychain across all my iCloud devices. Crappy system. So the passcode that I had on my phone (which, thank god, is more than four digits) is now embedded near-irrevocably in my iCloud security.

John Willoughby – June 28, 2017 12:56PM Reply Quote
Stealth upgrade... iCloud web-based email has had its rules enhanced somewhat. You can now mark mail read, once it is sorted or thrown in the trash. You can also sort stuff to the Spam folder, which I don't think was allowed before.

Again, the virtue of setting rules in the web version of iCloud is that they are applied across all of your devices, before any local rules are processed. Since iOS devices do not allow local rules, this is very helpful.

I wish that they would support rules as flexible as Gmail's, but at least it is a small step in the right direction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login