Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

This is Siri-ous

John Willoughby's Avatar Picture John Willoughby – October 12, 2016 03:58PM Reply Quote
Talk about Siri, and Apple AI.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2016 03:59PM by John Willoughby.

John Willoughby – October 12, 2016 03:59PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Walt Mossberg disses Siri. He's not wrong. Apple has a long tradition of introducing something very cutting edge, and then letting it languish. I know that they haven't given up on Siri entirely (unlike many past products), but it is definitely falling farther behind competitors every moment.

ARL (Moderator) – October 12, 2016 04:35PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
And Walt is normally part of the cheer squad. Says a lot about Siri.

dharlow – October 12, 2016 04:50PM Reply Quote
I use Alexa every day around the house. Siri if I accidently trigger her I start scrambling to cancel her out before she does something crazy as she does not understand me at all.

John Willoughby – October 12, 2016 05:00PM Reply Quote
I've heard that a part of the problem with Siri is that small microphones, as in phones and tablets, don't actually pick up audio well enough to catch the nuances (no pun intended) needed for best translations. Though the Google stuff seems to work well enough on Android devices.

dharlow – October 12, 2016 06:32PM Reply Quote
If that really is the case why does Siri not work with my Jabra Po 9470 HD headset on OS X Sierra?

John Willoughby – October 12, 2016 06:46PM Reply Quote
Your voice is low fidelity?

John Willoughby – October 12, 2016 06:52PM Reply Quote
As to the name of the thread, thank Wonder Pets.

dharlow – October 12, 2016 07:17PM Reply Quote
Actually I talked to on of the speech folks at WWDC about why at the time OS 9 had such problems with my voice he said it was how deep it was, it was hard for the computers at the time to distinguish certain words. I figure that is still the case but Alexa understands me like 90%+ of the time though, so I no longer buy that.

El Jeffe – October 13, 2016 06:00AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
ddt >>>> get in here. :)

ddt – October 13, 2016 07:51AM Reply Quote
I know nothing, nothing!

Though I wonder, in dharlow's example -- maybe someone w/ audio physics knowledge can pitch in, but maybe it's possible that low frequencies (deep voices) require different physical dimensions/constraints than more mid-range voices do, which might be part of why different mics work better? Or maybe it's just a mic spec thing? Do you need a larger mic to get those Hz at a distance, that wouldn't fit in a phone?

ddt

John Willoughby – October 13, 2016 07:59AM Reply Quote
ddt
Do you need a larger mic to get those Hz at a distance, that wouldn't fit in a phone?

That's what I had heard. And that there was a lot of money being thrown at the problem. No idea of the true story, though.

ddt – October 13, 2016 08:35AM Reply Quote
And then there's this -- someone I know at Greylock is proud of it: https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/12/ozlo-ai-assistant-is-the-new-underdog-filling-the-void-left-by-viv/

ddt

Jeff Cooper – October 17, 2016 06:56AM Reply Quote
John Willoughby

First thing I thought of. God help me.

porruka (Admin) – October 17, 2016 07:10AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Jeff Cooper
John Willoughby

First thing I thought of. God help me.

Fwiw, you're not alone.

El Jeffe – October 19, 2016 04:30PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Siri just followed me today.

El Jeffe – December 09, 2016 05:01AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Siri is biased.
"Doesn't look good today. Snow..."
How/can one tell siri you prefer one type of weather? Even force rank your preferences? :)

Siri, I hate sunny, hot days. Siri, I like overcast, cool, dry days for days when I golf

johnny k – December 09, 2016 07:38AM Reply Quote
I don't think Siri can be explicitly taught by you, other than family relationships. Cortana IIRC will remember things like what kind of food you like, and the "notebook" feature allows you to see what she knows about you. A good feature for understanding her model as well as privacy.

John Willoughby – June 07, 2017 10:09AM Reply Quote
Nailed it. I feel like Siri took a big hit when Apple switched from Nuance on the back end.

Mokers (Moderator) – June 07, 2017 12:13PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
As somebody with an iPhone and an Echo, I think Alexa is way ahead. Then again, I really only use Siri to transcribe texts when I am driving. Amazon has heavily encouraged people to develop new Alexa skills. I think everything is new enough that Apple can catch up, but they have a long way to go. Amazon is really great about encouraging people to develop skills much like Apple encouraged people to create apps in the appstore. Yes, we do have the equivalent of having dozens of calculator and flashlight apps, but there is a lot of good stuff.

We have an Echo in the kitchen. I use it to set timers when I am cooking. THere is a skill that will look up ingredient substitutions. and I can turn on some music when the kids want to be in the room. Say I wake up early in the morning and want to open a window. I can ask Alexa if my security system is armed before hand. All stuff I can do with my phone, but much easier to manage with voice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login