Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

Digital Lifestyle

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – December 16, 2007 02:54PM Reply Quote
"Digital hubs." iPod and its successors. (iPhone?) Convergence. How ridiculous will DRM get? Yep, put it all together and it just might make for a successful thread.

bahamut – June 17, 2017 04:06AM Reply Quote
Trying an Asus RT-AC5300. Not seeing any better speeds out of it. I could try link aggregation, but since the FiOS modem doesn't support that, I'm not sure why I'd see higher speeds. Speed test is maxing out at about 500Mbps and change regardless of whether I use it or the AirPort Extreme.

It also doesn't seem to see Shairplay devices (Airplay is fine) so it may be going back to Microcenter next week. Not sure what gives with that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2017 04:13AM by bahamut.

bahamut – June 19, 2017 08:38AM Reply Quote
The Asus RT-AC5300 isn't passing Shairport or Shairplay. That sucks. It also won't let our Macs communicate with our printer. What gives? The AirPort Extreme works. I just wanted something faster.

ddt – June 19, 2017 08:48AM Reply Quote
If you heard a company with open-source heritage like Mozilla was thinking about building a router to make networking easier and maybe "fun", what would be your top needs?

ddt

porruka (Admin) – June 19, 2017 08:53AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
ddt
If you heard a company with open-source heritage like Mozilla was thinking about building a router to make networking easier and maybe "fun", what would be your top needs?

ddt

Fewer weasel-worded fishing expeditions. :-D

ddt – June 19, 2017 08:57AM Reply Quote
Better than phishing!

But seriously, routers are totally opaque to me, and it'd help me to know what frustrations more competent people face (aside from the "all" that I face), and what's still lacking in existing products?

ddt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2017 08:58AM by ddt.

bahamut – June 25, 2017 05:50AM Reply Quote
I don't understand why the damn things block some protocols. I mean what right do they have to do so? They aren't even Apple!

El Jeffe – September 21, 2017 01:32AM Reply Quote
What a journey.

dharlow – September 21, 2017 06:01AM Reply Quote
I had been thinking of getting one to play with.

El Jeffe – September 21, 2017 06:38AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
what's the use case? aka why?
I must be missing something about this thing.
I know what I would like to use it for, but this seems like overkill... but I wonder what it's PERFECT FOR?

ddt – September 21, 2017 07:45AM Reply Quote
I've seen similar -- I appreciate the combination of retro and at-a-glance design. And more than once a day I pick up my phone, open a weather app, and check local temps before I head out.

ddt

dharlow – September 21, 2017 01:28PM Reply Quote
I wanted to use it to track some KPIs on different systems.

ddt – September 21, 2017 04:49PM Reply Quote
Daniel, did you ever see this? https://panic.com/blog/the-panic-status-board/

They've (sadly) discontinued their app (https://panic.com/blog/the-future-of-status-board/), but it could be a good model for public display of tracking KPIs, status, etc.

ddt

dharlow – September 22, 2017 09:30AM Reply Quote
Yup used that for a while.

johnny k – September 22, 2017 11:27AM Reply Quote
I wrote a plugin for it once. There are a bunch of decent open-source alternatives.

johnny k – October 10, 2017 01:52PM Reply Quote
Anyone ever try a NeTV? This is a hackable little box running Linux that could overlay graphics onto an HDMI signal, and be used as a set-top box of sorts.

bahamut – October 18, 2017 05:11PM Reply Quote
Kinda cool, cheaper than an lzx visual cortex

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login