Spork Boards

Digital Lifestyle

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – December 16, 2007 02:54PM Reply Quote
"Digital hubs." iPod and its successors. (iPhone?) Convergence. How ridiculous will DRM get? Yep, put it all together and it just might make for a successful thread.

John Willoughby – January 05, 2017 10:34AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Guthrie? "Flying into Indian-ee, bringing in a couple of kees..."

Ron Burns – January 05, 2017 01:35PM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
I've got a pair of Arlos for pet surveillance on our very occasional and very short holiday breaks and they've work pretty well over a couple of years. What's the problem?

El Jeffe – January 06, 2017 06:47AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
will not hold connections. batteries drained completely in 4 days.
trying full reset yesterday. Already dropped connection within 2 hours again.
I have put in support ticket. No action from them yet.

El Jeffe – January 09, 2017 03:20PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Cloudscout
DPBD

It's been a few months since I last searched and it looks like someone is finally selling one. DoorBird does the same cloud stuff as Ring but it's also ONVIF so it can run cloud-free. It even ticks my "nice-to-have" feature box with both WiFi and PoE support. $350 is a bit steep but I'm considering it.

http://www.doorbird.com/

MassDrop has SkyBell $176 (per DealNews)
https://www.massdrop.com

John Willoughby – May 07, 2017 08:28AM Reply Quote
If you've downloaded or upgraded Handbrake in the last week or so, you may have a trojan.

bahamut – May 14, 2017 12:37PM Reply Quote
So with Apple out of the router business, and new gigabit internet from Verizon in my house, I wonder if it is not time to buy another router. What's faster than the latest AirPort Extreme?

ARL (Moderator) – May 14, 2017 04:11PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Most modern wifi routers? [edit] Quite seriously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2017 04:12PM by ARL.

dharlow – May 14, 2017 04:31PM Reply Quote
Check out the wirecutter they have some good options.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2017 04:31PM by dharlow.

John Willoughby – May 14, 2017 06:09PM Reply Quote
I think the new hotness is mesh WiFi. I switched to Eeros, and they've been good. I have no idea where'd they'd rank in a speed test, though.

James DeBenedetti – May 14, 2017 07:55PM Reply Quote
My Netgear Orbi is fast and rock solid - way better than the Airport routers I replaced. It's nowhere near 1 Gb though.

ARL (Moderator) – May 14, 2017 09:10PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Bear in mind the Airport Extreme, when claiming speeds of "up to 1.3 Gbps" are counting both bands.

There's probably a 400 Mbps 2.4 Ghz band and a 900Mbps 5 Ghz band - which many modern wifi routers are as fast as, if not significantly faster.

ARL (Moderator) – May 14, 2017 09:15PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

johnny k – May 15, 2017 04:26AM Reply Quote
My plan has been to get the T-Mobile free or nearly free ASUS router - I believe Wirecutter had its close cousin as the recommended pick. Has the advantage of being WRT-DD compatible. But may not be the latest now.

I know this is ridiculous, but has anyone used 10gig hardware, or even been on a 10gig network? I suspect that 2.5GBASE-T or 5GBASE-T will come up and be cheaper soon enough.

Mokers (Moderator) – May 15, 2017 07:32AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I work with 10G and 40G hardware when life takes me to a datacenter. I agreee that 2.5/5 GBaseT is probably going to be the next step as gigabit internet speeds become available for a large portion of the population

ddt – May 15, 2017 08:38AM Reply Quote
Am I totally off base for figuring that all that is academic if your ISP is DSL (even dual-channel)?

ddt

johnny k – May 15, 2017 09:45AM Reply Quote
Sure - theoretically even 802.11ac can handle the bandwidth of gigabit internet. But the idea of being able to access storage on your file server anywhere in your home like you're plugged into it is cool. At that point, the storage itself can be the bottleneck.

Mokers, so there's no reasonable 10G hardware for consumers, is there?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2017 09:45AM by johnny k.

ddt – May 15, 2017 11:10AM Reply Quote
Hm, good point. Mostly my bottleneck is an external drive having to spin up -- sometimes accessing folders or files requires a few seconds of "hang on, let me wake up"; suppose if I replaced that with a non-spinny drive, that'd take care of that.

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – May 15, 2017 02:24PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Biggest problem is that so much of the consumer space is centered around wireless. There is just not a lot of demand to bring 10G hardware to consumers because everybody just wants faster WiFi, so that's where you see most of the innovation for home users. That being said, you can get 10Gbit copper over Cat6A at about $100 per port for switches and endpoints. While not out of the realm of possibility, I think you would need to get a 4 port 10G router with wireless to about $400 for people to start buying. Most 10G devices are switches. The Netgear Nighthawk X10 has one 10GB SFP port.

ddt – May 19, 2017 09:47AM Reply Quote
Looking for advice. Was tempted by the Loog Pro Kickstarter (I really should learn some instrument) but go back and forth on acoustic v. electric. They will offer a cheap amp for the electric, but that seems to limit the mobility/carry it around. Then again, electric seems cooler?

ddt

bahamut – June 16, 2017 07:00AM Reply Quote
I returned the Archer T Link yesterday. It was mildly faster than my AirPort Extreme, but it wouldn't pass Airplay to Shareplay devices.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login