Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

Tipples and Drams...

ARL (Moderator) – February 06, 2015 03:09PM Reply Quote
I know there's a beer thread around here somewhere but I was wondering how many sporkers are whiskey (note the "e" - I am Irish after all) and/or other distilled beverage fans?

Share your tasting notes below!

ARL (Moderator) – February 06, 2015 03:19PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
For years I've been fairly boring with my whiskey choices, I'd get Jamesons or (if money was tight) Canadian Club and usually mix it with coke (the horror!)

But lately I've been expanding my horizons. My current favourite sipper is Writers Tears - a fantastically buttery/velvety smooth and vanilla/caramel sweet whiskey, with a beautiful oily mouthfeel and finish.

Not terribly complex but oh so drinkable. You can still quaff it neat on a 30˚C day - a claim I wouldn't make about too many other whiskeys.

A solid 8/10.

More reviews to come.

johnny k – February 06, 2015 05:20PM Reply Quote
I try whiskey every once in a while to see if I'm a grown-up yet. I did have a plastic bottle of Ten High (which is the cheapest whiskey I could find) to roughen up my voice before singing punk rock. I've tried Bulleit, Makers Mark and Knob Creek purely on the basis of their package design - all okay I guess. I probably need a good mixed drink to put it in, or maybe try that Writers Tears or one of the other flavored ones.

Can we talk about tequila too? That's a hard liquor I can get behind.

ARL (Moderator) – February 06, 2015 06:40PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

Can we talk about tequila too?

It's a distilled beverage my friend, so (to steal a line from Obama) "yes we can"

Speaking of Tequila, there's a delightful Tequila-based liquor called Patron XO. Serve super chilled.

El Jeffe – February 07, 2015 12:36AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I'm your designated driver.

Jeff Cooper – February 07, 2015 04:53AM Reply Quote
I have a bottle of the Balvenie (that's whisky with no e). that I bought for my father's visits. Every once in a while, I'll have a sip.

ddt – February 07, 2015 05:28AM Reply Quote
I've been more a vodka, soda, and bitters drinker the last year. Too many mixed drinks these days are sweet (the move to locavore fashion has also brought out a lot of use of simple syrup, local honey, and just plain sugar).

ddt

El Jeffe – February 07, 2015 08:47AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
is sipping (whisk[e]y) mainly based on how strong it tastes, how strong the alcohol is, or how much the drink costs?

ARL (Moderator) – February 07, 2015 02:06PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
El Jeffe
is sipping (whisk[e]y) mainly based on how strong it tastes, how strong the alcohol is, or how much the drink costs?

No, no and no...

ARL (Moderator) – February 07, 2015 02:11PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Jeff Cooper
I have a bottle of the Balvenie (that's whisky with no e). that I bought for my father's visits. Every once in a while, I'll have a sip.

I like the sound of their "Carribean Cask" batch (aged in Oak casks and then Carribean rum casks). It's amazing how much the barreling influences the flavour.

ARL (Moderator) – February 21, 2015 02:43AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Ardberg. Peaty goodness...

bahamut – February 22, 2015 04:14AM Reply Quote
I just can't keep the stuff around the house. If I do, I will drink it until it is gone. Not in one sitting mind you, but too quickly nevertheless.

ARL (Moderator) – February 22, 2015 02:45PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Baha,

I know what you mean.

I've deluded myself into thinking that if I just have one drink from several different bottles, I'm not doing a whiskey drinking session, I'm simply doing a "tasting".

Saturday was Balblair, Writers Tears, Ardberg. And then some more Ardberg x2.

ARL (Moderator) – February 23, 2015 01:23AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Tried a couple of new drams tonight:

1. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 Year Old

Cheeky (in a good way), fruity, spicy, sweet, a bit of afterburn (some like it - me, not so wild...).

Reminded me of the Bushmills 16 yo. single malt. Must try again. Definitely the most interesting of the Glenmorangie range.

2. Ardbeg Uigeadail

OMFG. Devine.

I liked the Ardbeg 10 yo. but this is in another league. Smooth, so smooth (my God, I can't believe it's 110 proof!) yet so complex with that nice peaty finish. NOT for beginners.

May be better than Lagavulin. Must try both again. Just to be sure...

More soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2015 01:57AM by ARL.

ddt – February 23, 2015 05:01AM Reply Quote
So, you scientists: is there a correlation between the tastiness of Scottish beverages as the difficulty in pronouncing their names (for non-native speeeekerrrrsss)? -- Ron Burns is an outlier, of course.

ddt

El Jeffe – February 23, 2015 07:11AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
you have to say their names at the exact moment the concoction passes the glottis. Then, in effect, you'll be swallowing your scotch like the scotts swallow their english.

Roger – February 23, 2015 07:13AM Reply Quote
Causal link: the tastier it is, the drunker you get, the poorer your pronunciation becomes. I can say "Caol Ila" just fine sober, but how often do I have to? A maximum of once.

ARL (Moderator) – February 23, 2015 01:57PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I think that's part of the reason Archer drinks Glengoolie

bahamut – February 24, 2015 01:53PM Reply Quote
I'm a rye fan, my draughts of choice are

James E. Pepper 1776 Rye
Bulleit Rye

A fifth will last a little over a couple of weeks, which is not good at all.

ARL (Moderator) – February 24, 2015 02:17PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
bahamut
I'm a rye fan, my draughts of choice are

James E. Pepper 1776 Rye
Bulleit Rye

A fifth will last a little over a couple of weeks, which is not good at all.

I've seen Bulleit - haven't tried it yet.

Baha - that's a 700ml bottle right? That's not too bad.

Since Christmas I've finished off four (one was already half-done) and another three are on the way

(Good God, that's one a week... I think I need help)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login