Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

Oh my science!

El Jeffe's Avatar Picture El Jeffe – December 06, 2014 02:30AM Reply Quote
science

El Jeffe – December 06, 2014 03:14AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
NASA's current project to put people above low orbit... love this frame grab from one of their videos. When they capture the returned capsule, they drape it to protect it....
Billion dollar project. Saving funds by using perfectly good used tires to protect the capsule.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u71bRf54xDw

That's the level of engineering that I'd likely have been assigned to.. "Hey BILL... can you throw together something to protect the paint? Oh, and you have $15.76 budget... last minute thought... sorry"....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2014 03:15AM by El Jeffe.

ARL (Moderator) – December 06, 2014 05:42PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Love the trimaran in the background. I believe that one was built in Australia.

El Jeffe – December 07, 2014 02:57AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
My eyes did not even detect it was a tri.
cool.

bahamut – December 07, 2014 05:45AM Reply Quote
New Horizons is awake and about as far from Pluto as the Earth is from Mars (if I did my math right). That sucker's going fast.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/its-alive-nasas-new-horizons-pluto-probe-wakes-work-n262996

It was interesting to check out distances from the sun

Mercury 0.387 A.U.
Venus 0.723 A.U.
Earth 1.000 A.U.
Mars 1.524 A.U.
Ceres 2.8 A.U.
Jupiter 5.203 A.U.
Saturn 9.523 A.U.
Uranus 19.208 A.U.
Neptune 30.087 A.U.
New Horizons 33 A.U.
Pluto (variable, at present 33.652) 39.746 A.U.
Eris 96 A.U.

ddt – December 07, 2014 11:30AM Reply Quote
Those ion engines, man. Slow off the line, but constant acceleration is like compound interest.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – December 12, 2014 01:50AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
After Reading this post the other night I looked up some of those planets and other bits and bobs on the Solar Walk app.

There's some awesome little snippets of information in the app. Highly recommended.

El Jeffe – December 12, 2014 03:12AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Interesting. Can you tell me what you like best?

ARL (Moderator) – December 12, 2014 04:37PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
God, that last post read terribly. I was trying out the dictation feature in iOS8 and I sound like a freakin' robot.

I was intrigued with the different gravitational forces at surface level on different planets. For eg Earth and Saturn are pretty similar because even though Saturn is way more massive, as a gas giant it's far less dense. Jupiter's gravity is slightly more than double earth's even though it's ridiculously bigger. Uranus, while over 14 times more massive, has lower surface level gravitational force (8.43 ms2 vs 9.8 ms2)

As well as the usual stuff, there's stuff about numerous satellites in low earth orbits, numerous dwarf planets, comets & nearby stars.

(Cosmographica is better for the Mac though...)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login