Spork Boards

I Watch, You Watch, We All Watch For iWatch

John Willoughby's Avatar Picture John Willoughby – September 08, 2014 03:23PM Reply Quote
We need a thread for this, even in the vanishingly small chance that the iWatch isn't announced tomorrow.

Cloudscout – February 23, 2015 05:15AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Giant watches are becoming more and more popular. Another year or two and our wrists are going to start looking like Flavor Flav.

El Jeffe – February 23, 2015 07:09AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
They need an Apple Watch expensive hat like the Breitling.
(I had to have a cap, which I got off eBay) http://tinyurl.com/k5lyjpr

ARL (Moderator) – February 23, 2015 01:59PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
So, we'll soon have phablet watches?

Needs a cooler name.

John Willoughby – February 23, 2015 04:56PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
ARL
I don't believe for a second there is a gold watch planned for now...

Well, they talked about it in the announcement and it's prominently featured on their web page. I think that people will be pissed if it isn't available at launch. And if Apple tries to sell people an iWatch 2.0 six months after the first wave, I think there will be an uproar.

ARL (Moderator) – February 23, 2015 05:04PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I stand corrected. I thought there was just the one model.

http://www.apple.com/watch/apple-watch-edition/

There's technically 32! (if you count different sizes colours & watchbands). I see no inventory problems there sat all!

Note to self: Watch Keynotes in future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2015 05:11PM by ARL.

El Jeffe – February 24, 2015 12:20AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
don't you have the Apple Keynote channel on your AppleTV playing nothing but keynotes round the clock? I thought we ALL WOULD!!????

johnny k – February 24, 2015 09:45AM Reply Quote
24-7, baby. I take my bathroom breaks during the U2 performances.

So anyone getting a Pebble Time? New timeline-based UI, color, same week-long battery I admire how they're carving out an alternative to the smartwatch-as-jewelry (to the point of having unremarkable industrial design). Someone described it as the Casio calculator watch of the market - all function.

Roger – February 24, 2015 09:49AM Reply Quote
Yeah, that's a good analogy. Every time I see the Pebbles in person I am astonished at how super-nerdy they look -- probably someone cooler than me could make them seem geek-chic/so-unhip-it's-actually-cool but on me I think it'd be a massively embarrassing thing to wear (as it has been on most of the engineer types I've seen wearing them).

John Willoughby – February 24, 2015 09:51AM Reply Quote
I don't know. I've recently worked out that my reduced circumstances make any new Apple devices in my future unlikely. Maybe I could make a Pebble work.

bahamut – February 24, 2015 01:49PM Reply Quote
China, JW, China.

porruka (Admin) – March 09, 2015 07:58AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
I find it interesting that Apple is apparently not pre-rolling the stream, but "on-time" (at least for Apple TV)

Roger – March 09, 2015 09:04AM Reply Quote
I guess we're not really bothering to live-comment the announcement until something interestingly watch-related actually happens, but man, is it dragging in the meantime. The Getting Motivated to Exercise Show with Christy Turlington is not an appealing way to debut a product.

porruka (Admin) – March 09, 2015 09:07AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Not a fan of the stilted celebrity interactions. For all the polish of Apple keynotes, this piece seems almost amateur.

Roger – March 09, 2015 09:09AM Reply Quote
Yeah, this is just a terrible misfire so far. More like a morning talk show than a major product announcement. I really think they've made significant missteps in their messaging and marketing on the watch, and the best they can hope is that it's all forgotten once the thing is actually out there on the market (as I think is pretty likely).

tomierna (Admin) – March 09, 2015 09:17AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Interesting - Wifi connectivity to devices. Does this mean there is a Wifi chipset and antenna in the Apple Watch?

Roger – March 09, 2015 09:19AM Reply Quote
The biggest hands so far are for things like the on-watch AA boarding pass, the hotel door/check-in, all these actual useful scenarios. Seems to me that the audience is itching for use-cases where the watch makes things more convenient, not fashion-model awareness-raising half-marathon bullshit but a traditional tech product "this is what it does better than other things out there" pitch.

John Willoughby – March 09, 2015 09:29AM Reply Quote
Differentiated prices between 38 mm and 42mm.

John Willoughby – March 09, 2015 09:30AM Reply Quote
Yowtch. I'm going back to sundials.

Roger – March 09, 2015 09:36AM Reply Quote
Well, that really underwhelmed.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – March 09, 2015 09:43AM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
I'll still get the sport edition. Not that I'm sporty, but $249 for a new and potentially useful toy is in my price range. I'll get the smaller version for my delicate, girly, wrist.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login