Spork Boards

I Watch, You Watch, We All Watch For iWatch

John Willoughby's Avatar Picture John Willoughby – September 08, 2014 03:23PM Reply Quote
We need a thread for this, even in the vanishingly small chance that the iWatch isn't announced tomorrow.

johnny k – September 10, 2014 06:40AM Reply Quote
The nearest font will be something like DIN.

bahamut – September 10, 2014 08:16AM Reply Quote
well there's the one i have up above.

tomierna (Admin) – September 10, 2014 09:43AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I-Like-to-Watch.jpg

John Willoughby – September 10, 2014 09:48AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Nice!

porruka (Admin) – September 10, 2014 10:06AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Something occurred to me from the WSJ article about healthcare orgs writing for Apple Watch... what if, under certain circumstances, insurance covered it?

I can see this being a real scenario over alternative, existing solutions due to the connection to HeathKit and the prospect of HIPPA-compliant data transmission back to physicians... probably lots cheaper than dedicated hardware _for the right groups_.

Roger – September 10, 2014 10:43AM Reply Quote
If they get the rumored noninvasive glucose monitoring into a future version of the WATCH, it'll definitely become a must-buy for millions of diabetics and diet trackers. The exercise-tracking (heart rate/motion) stuff is less revolutionary and has a lot more competition so it's harder, to me, to see it being covered by insurance.

porruka (Admin) – September 10, 2014 10:51AM Reply Quote
Roger
If they get the rumored noninvasive glucose monitoring into a future version of the WATCH, it'll definitely become a must-buy for millions of diabetics and diet trackers. The exercise-tracking (heart rate/motion) stuff is less revolutionary and has a lot more competition so it's harder, to me, to see it being covered by insurance.

Depends on the quality of the wrist measurements and whether that's also an oximeter, I suppose. When I was most recently working with HR straps, I kept being told that people (as a group) won't wear the straps but wrist measurement (consumer non-chest measurement, actually) was notoriously unreliable. If Apple really has cracked the wrist reliability that might be one thing in its favor.

AFA the activity/motion side, maybe it goes the way of the car monitors; use the device and get a discount? There are already test programs like that that don't include hardware verification but rely on health-club checkins, etc...

It seems to me that there are lots of possibilities to seed the market with this because of the end-to-end capability. Also, this isn't to suggest that Google couldn't do something similar if its partners get a suitably quality-sensored device into the market, but we got a good look at some of the differentiators yesterday.

ARL (Moderator) – September 10, 2014 04:45PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

ARL (Moderator) – September 10, 2014 04:46PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Damn, no embedding twitter I guess...

porruka (Admin) – September 10, 2014 07:26PM Reply Quote
Someone with too much, erm, time on their hands, with a great analysis of the Apple Watch:

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hodinkee-apple-watch-review

porruka (Admin) – September 10, 2014 08:13PM Reply Quote

“We spend 80 percent of every healthcare dollar managing people with chronic conditions. It would be great if Apple would get into that system and make it work better; with their amazing sense of what works for the customer they could clearly do that.”

To be fair, the person quoted goes on to say that it's unclear if Apple will be able to do this...

The article has lots of other cool info too... http://spectrum.ieee.org/view-from-the-valley/consumer-electronics/portable-devices/apple-watchs-wristful-of-sensors-and-mems

ARL (Moderator) – September 10, 2014 10:48PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

Cloudscout – September 11, 2014 06:57AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
A friend opined that, "this thing has 'Pippin' written all over it."

So, will Apple sell an assortment of different colored Watch Band...ai's?

tomierna (Admin) – September 11, 2014 06:59AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame.

Roger – November 18, 2014 11:20AM Reply Quote
WatchKit now available; a concise Watch HIG too.

Strangely, there doesn't seem to be a framework for developing watch faces yet, just phone-connected apps and notifications.

porruka (Admin) – November 18, 2014 11:21AM Reply Quote
Damn, I need to hurry up and get the current project done, launched, and exited so I can have time to work on the Watch-centric project... too many possibilities!

Roger – January 22, 2015 12:57PM Reply Quote
Things are looking dicey on the battery-life front:

Our sources say that Apple is targeting 2.5 hours of “heavy” application use, such as processor-intensive gameplay, or 3.5 hours of standard app use. Interestingly, Apple expects to see better battery life when using the Watch’s fitness tracking software, which is targeted for nearly 4 hours of straight exercise tracking on a single charge. […] We’re told that Apple has been shooting for roughly 19 hours of mixed usage each day, but that the company may not hit that number in the first generation version.
And still no word on the release date?

John Willoughby – January 22, 2015 04:54PM Reply Quote
I'm betting March.

[EDIT]

A5 class CPU seems insanely powerful for what it is supposed to do. iPod Touch caliber? Very odd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2015 04:56PM by John Willoughby.

porruka (Admin) – January 22, 2015 05:35PM Reply Quote
Don't forget (or realize, if you've never known) that the "coupled with the iPhone" is partly a crutch and partly about the experience. The watch will do much (and more over time) untethered. And given the need to avoid the expectation of annual (or even biennial) refresh cycles (not that Apple won't release new models, but that people may not buy replacements as often) the horsepower can't be diminished TOO much in the initial model.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2015 06:16AM by porruka.

John Willoughby – January 22, 2015 08:12PM Reply Quote
I think that the battery capacity, and its depletion over time, will drive people to replacements more than would otherwise be the case. I am still surprised that an A5-level CPU is required. Maybe ApplePay takes more horsepower than I though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login