Spork Boards

I Watch, You Watch, We All Watch For iWatch

John Willoughby's Avatar Picture John Willoughby – September 08, 2014 03:23PM Reply Quote
We need a thread for this, even in the vanishingly small chance that the iWatch isn't announced tomorrow.

Roger – January 01, 2018 09:52AM Reply Quote
WatchOS 4 appears to have un-turn-offable dumb little "happy new year!" "happy birthday!" etc. notifications much like that awful "congrats" confetti in iOS Messages. The twee-ification of Apple continues.

ARL (Moderator) – January 02, 2018 02:02AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Gotta appeal to generation Kardashian!

John Willoughby – January 02, 2018 06:11AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
My first-gen watch is borderline useless now, except as a timepiece. Everything that I ask it to do, it says "Hold on, I'll tap you when I'm ready" and then often gets it wrong or fails to tap back at all. I'm considering getting a new watch, just to get back the old functionality. This is A way to retain customers, but not the BEST way. I am growing restive under Apple's yoke.

(Yes, yes, the yoke's on me...)

johnny k – January 02, 2018 06:46AM Reply Quote
I heard Apple does this on purpose to get you to buy the latest band. Get this season's style, see if that helps.

John Willoughby – January 02, 2018 06:49AM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – February 27, 2018 06:41AM Reply Quote

bahamut – March 08, 2018 08:04AM Reply Quote
I barely wear mine anymore since Strava stopped working properly on it.

ddt – March 08, 2018 09:06AM Reply Quote
What were you/are you using Strava for? More specifically, things like "I'm tracking over time" or "working with a coach" or "sharing my exercise" or "just want the info somewhere".

Leading questioningly,

Cloudscout – March 08, 2018 09:11AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
If I had an Apple Watch, I would totally make one of these for it:

bahamut – March 08, 2018 02:40PM Reply Quote

I find Strava as a way to encourage myself by "competing" with my friends. Oh look, this person exercised today. I can't be slug, I better. Luckily I have friends who ALWAYS exercise, so it keeps me going.

And then in cycling, at least, I have a reasonable shot at picking off a segment or two with other competitors. I'm KOM on one around here and can see a couple of others within reach.

I wanted to use the watch to record my heart rate. It used to do that and also read off info from the iPhone. Now you can record off your iPhone or watch, no data sharing. That's plain dumb. I listen to podcasts and since Apple's app doesn't run on the watch, I need to bring my iPhone. The watch isn't as accurate and won't give audio queues as to when segments begin and/or my pace when running.

So yuck.

I'm using Zwift for cycling now, although I'm just terrible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2018 02:41PM by bahamut.

ddt – March 08, 2018 04:01PM Reply Quote
Awesome! I don't use Strava for anything social but use it as a repo for my training and sure, nice when I get a KOM.

A teammate has been using Zwift as he recovers from a broken shoulder -- that was five weeks ago, rode with him in Wednesday, he stayed in a local spring (w/o standing). (I was on my gravel bike w/ 40c tires so couldn't move up from third.)

For HR, I use a strap and my Garmin records that and the power from my Quark (MIT alum represent).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login