Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

I Watch, You Watch, We All Watch For iWatch

John Willoughby's Avatar Picture John Willoughby – September 08, 2014 03:23PM Reply Quote
We need a thread for this, even in the vanishingly small chance that the iWatch isn't announced tomorrow.

John Willoughby – December 05, 2016 07:19AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Losing ground in the wearables.

My wife keeps having problems with her Apple Watch not charging. I think that she's not seating it well on the charger, but I get the annoyed texts about how her watch is failing her. I told her before she got it that it's not the best product, not terribly Apple-like, but she had to have one. Sigh.

bahamut – January 04, 2017 04:25AM Reply Quote
This would be a tragic blow that the watch would never recover from. http://www.macrumors.com/2017/01/03/apple-watch-3-fall-2017-improved-battery-life/

It needs a redesign to be thinner. Unlike the rest of Apple hardware, it is too thick and clunky. It needs more features. The current feature set is not compelling enough.

In other news, Strava still doesn't support the GPS in Watch 2.

James DeBenedetti – January 04, 2017 07:28AM Reply Quote
It also needs to be round, not rectangular.

johnny k – January 04, 2017 07:54AM Reply Quote
The thing is still underpowered, right? If Watch+AirPods are ever going to be a replacement for the smartphone (say, handling 80-90% of the things normal people use their phone for), it's going to stay thick enough to power it. It's in a tough spot because it seems unwieldy for a watch, but it's not a watch. People will be willing to accept that tradeoff with enough functionality.

John Willoughby – January 04, 2017 12:04PM Reply Quote
Honestly, the small screen is going to keep it from being anything other than a timepiece/weather status/health monitor/Message acknowledgement device for me. It could run faster than a MacBook Pro, have a battery life measured in weeks and it would still be what it currently is for me.

A better UI would be nice, but that would just make what it already does easier.

bahamut – January 04, 2017 05:08PM Reply Quote
Johnny, I wouldn't mind it if the power was really there, but I don't feel it is. What JW says. I can barely launch an app by touch from that UI. I just don't see how any more can be squozed into it.

johnny k – January 04, 2017 05:54PM Reply Quote
It's not about the screen as much as about the AirPods. If voice UI is the future, the Watch is the CPU and the earbuds are the output device.

bahamut – January 06, 2017 05:05AM Reply Quote
Until you lose one. :/

Roger – September 12, 2017 02:25PM Reply Quote
A lot of unanswered questions about the cellular watch, still, after the keynote.

1. How's it going to be treated by the carriers? Does it just go on the existing plan as if it were another phone, or what? Am I really supposed to pay $10/month extra, just to have a watch I can sometimes take jogging without the phone or whatever?

2. Can I just ditch my phone and use this as my only phone? If not, why not, apart from "Apple doesn't want you to"?

Roger – September 12, 2017 03:26PM Reply Quote
Answering my own question:

Roger
Am I really supposed to pay $10/month extra, just to have a watch

Yup, apparently so.

John Willoughby – September 12, 2017 06:07PM Reply Quote
The only reason that I even think about the new watch is the improved heart monitoring; that being the portion of my anatomy voted "Most Likely to Explode" by a panel of my doctors.

Roger – September 12, 2017 09:14PM Reply Quote
Sounds like the reason for requiring it to remain tethered to an iPhone may not be (as I'd been thinking) just a matter of software — the Watch is obviously still skating right on the edge of acceptable battery life. "Over 1 hour" of LTE talk time doesn't quite sound like an acceptable standalone phone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 09:14PM by Roger.

Cloudscout – September 13, 2017 12:50PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I'm guessing it will work the way my LG Watch works. The watch itself has its own phone number but you can "link" it to your regular number which means that the watch will receive calls and texts for both your watch's number and your regular phone but when you go to make calls or send texts from your watch, they appear to be coming from your regular phone.

Roger – September 13, 2017 02:24PM Reply Quote
I'm shocked the carriers aren't promoting it more aggressively. The number of people willing to spend $10/mo extra just for watch roaming has to be vanishingly small.

Roger – September 13, 2017 02:51PM Reply Quote
just FWIW, which isn't much, I sold my old Apple Watch a couple weeks ago so I wouldn't get hosed on the price when the new one came out, and I'm really surprised how much I miss it. It's a little sneaky how handy it ends up being to have all your notifications there at a glance.

John Willoughby – September 13, 2017 03:58PM Reply Quote
I think that the main users of the new watch will be runners, hikers, and bikers who don't want to lug a phone when they exercise. I doubt that it will be anybody's first choice for making calls.

bahamut – September 13, 2017 04:24PM Reply Quote
I lost my Watch 2 three months ago and have no idea where it is. :/

porruka (Admin) – September 13, 2017 08:29PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
bahamut
I lost my Watch 2 three months ago and have no idea where it is. :/

No "find my watch" functions? (Or at least last known location?)

Cloudscout – September 14, 2017 08:10AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
John Willoughby
I think that the main users of the new watch will be runners, hikers, and bikers who don't want to lug a phone when they exercise. I doubt that it will be anybody's first choice for making calls.

I never use my LG Watch because the battery life makes it nearly useless and it's not officially waterproof either.

I had a Garmin Fenix 3 HR for a year and a half and recently upgraded to the Fenix 5X. Sure, I can't make phonecalls with it but I do get all of the notifications from my phone and the battery lasts two weeks with full-time heart rate monitoring.

With the GPS turned on, it gets about 24 hours of battery but it's rare for me to have the GPS turned on for more than an hour or two. Still, I can go on multiple-hour bike rides for a few days in a row without worrying about my battery dying. A two hour GPS-tracked bike ride with the LG Watch or the Apple Watch would burn more than 50% of your battery.

bahamut – September 16, 2017 12:25PM Reply Quote
Once the watch is out of juice, you are out of luck. That was a couple of months ago.

I don't care too much since my main use was for running and hiking. Sadly, Strava bungled their watch update. Big sad.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login