Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

I Watch, You Watch, We All Watch For iWatch

John Willoughby's Avatar Picture John Willoughby – September 08, 2014 03:23PM Reply Quote
We need a thread for this, even in the vanishingly small chance that the iWatch isn't announced tomorrow.

bahamut – September 08, 2014 05:02PM Reply Quote
i (like to) watch!

John Willoughby – September 09, 2014 09:00AM Reply Quote
England expects that every man will do his duty. Ha-ha!
Apple Watch. Pretty. Not sure about the bands.

porruka (Admin) – September 09, 2014 09:02AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
I think that's why they started with the metal style bands.

John Willoughby – September 09, 2014 09:44AM Reply Quote
Meh. For a watch starting at $350 (probably with a plastic band), and features that basically amount to "health, plus it's like looking at your phone through a jeweler's loupe", I am unimpressed. Especially since it is not hugely ahead of Android Mobile and is 4-6 months in the future. Did they mention battery life anywhere? Meh, I say. Meh!

John Willoughby – September 09, 2014 09:46AM Reply Quote
OK, I thought they were done. Apple Pay with the watch interests me, especially as it might allow an iPhone 5s to use Apple Pay through the watch. Less meh. But still some.

Roger – September 09, 2014 09:49AM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
Meh. For a watch starting at $350 (probably with a plastic band), and features that basically amount to "health, plus it's like looking at your phone through a jeweler's loupe", I am unimpressed. Especially since it is not hugely ahead of Android Mobile and is 4-6 months in the future. Did they mention battery life anywhere? Meh, I say. Meh!

This is pretty much my reaction as well. But I think when you get past the oversell in the keynote, this is basically a 1.0 placeholder product for the early adopters. No doubt in a year or two it'll be more interesting, with a more evolved sensor suite and a slimmer appearance. Right now it's a weird, thick pager for your Bluetooth notifications attached to the world's most expensive Nike+ fitness band. That's why I think leading with fashion was a weird messaging failure; this is basically a geek product right now, where the 3.0 version will be a fashion product.

porruka (Admin) – September 09, 2014 09:50AM Reply Quote
I'll have to see it in person. If style suffices, then you'll be able to subtract the price of other fitness fobs (if one is so inclined). Depending on what watch kit actually exposes...

Dr Phred (Moderator) – September 09, 2014 10:06AM Reply Quote
-Swine Flu free since...cough, cough...
I think the fact that it is open for developers means we should see some interesting new ideas from the watch.

porruka (Admin) – September 09, 2014 12:43PM Reply Quote
BTW, adding Apple Pay support to the watch may have seemed obvious, but its support of the 5 series phones is brilliant. It ensures that the "push the older designs down stream" model will carry forward, effectively giving a "hardware upgrade" option to those who either prefer the older designs or are stuck in their contracts.

ddt – September 09, 2014 01:18PM Reply Quote
Well, how long do you think Apple could have persuaded partners to stay involved (or shoulder the infrastructure costs solo) if only iPhone 6 users could use Apple Pay? By engineering iPhone 5 capability, they've suddenly got hundreds of millions of potential users out in the world.

ddt

porruka (Admin) – September 09, 2014 01:21PM Reply Quote
ddt
Well, how long do you think Apple could have persuaded partners to stay involved (or shoulder the infrastructure costs solo) if only iPhone 6 users could use Apple Pay? By engineering iPhone 5 capability, they've suddenly got hundreds of millions of potential users out in the world.

ddt

Apple has the cash to buy off any number and length of trials if they desired. And yes, I'm sure the 200MM number from the vendor side is quite appealing as well.

ddt – September 09, 2014 02:54PM Reply Quote
True, there are cash reserves. But few things sink a pop-culture-centric project like hardware sitting around, unused -- especially at PoS. Starts looking like a POS.

ddt

MTK (Moderator) – September 09, 2014 04:41PM Reply Quote
In the words of Chance the Gardener: "I like to watch."

MTK (Moderator) – September 09, 2014 04:45PM Reply Quote
Curses! Beaten by Bahamut ... Which proves this should be tomorrow's Apple.com home page image.

bahamut – September 09, 2014 05:59PM Reply Quote
Or at least maceditions? As it still says RIP Steve.

MTK (Moderator) – September 10, 2014 05:04AM Reply Quote
Does any member of the assembled company still possess the image-editing skills to juxtapose the late Mr. Sellers and the aforementioned slogan, in an Apple-appropriate serif?

MTK (Moderator) – September 10, 2014 05:04AM Reply Quote
A nice grayscale would set the mood. Fifty shades of Cook.

tomierna (Admin) – September 10, 2014 06:15AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
If there's an appropriate Sellers photo you have in mind, sure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login