Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

Dam Hetch Hetchy!

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – July 24, 2014 02:15PM Reply Quote
"Dam Hetch Hetchy! As well dam for water-tanks the people's cathedrals and churches, for no holier temple has ever been consecrated by the heart of man."
-- John Muir

Oh whoops, it's the valley South of it we're talking about… 

On Yosemite …

ddt – July 24, 2014 02:40PM Reply Quote
Can't wait for the "Six Californias" proponents be asked, "So, how will you get water?"

ddt

bahamut – July 24, 2014 03:13PM Reply Quote
Fast install and the whole OS feels insanely fast.

I can't stand the new Finder icon. The new icons in general seem unfinished, reminding me of early, even beta versions of OS X. Perhaps that's deliberate?

El Jeffe – July 24, 2014 03:41PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
can I hack onto 2007 mac mini?

ddt – July 24, 2014 03:55PM Reply Quote
Hm, I jumped on the invites to the Yo!Semite! public beta, but didn't get an invite yet. I was going to put it on my old iMac.

ddt

bahamut – July 24, 2014 06:55PM Reply Quote
I went insane and put it on my production Mac. Thus far everything I need to run, runs and it runs well. Jury may be out, but it maybe more stable than Mavericks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2014 06:57PM by bahamut.

El Jeffe – July 25, 2014 01:19AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
"WENT"?

John Willoughby – July 25, 2014 08:46AM Reply Quote
England expects that every man will do his duty. Ha-ha!

Jeff Cooper – July 25, 2014 03:45PM Reply Quote
ddt
Hm, I jumped on the invites to the Yo!Semite! public beta, but didn't get an invite yet. I was going to put it on my old iMac.

ddt

Same here.

The article JW links addresses a different issue.

bahamut – July 28, 2014 11:36AM Reply Quote
It's panic'd a coupled of times so far, but that's par for the course in Mavericks as well. Had a hiccup printing until I reinstalled the Canon. That's fixed now.

ddt – July 30, 2014 02:45PM Reply Quote
Oh my dog, iTunes 12.0 marginalizes (hides, actually) podcasts even more. Shit's just jammed into nearly random crannies, and basic actions for anyone other than their "I only listen to the most recent episodes of random podcasts" use case has to take even more laborious and repetitive steps to do basic things.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – July 30, 2014 03:37PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Why does iTunes always have to be two steps backwards, one forwards?

bahamut – July 30, 2014 06:40PM Reply Quote
http://www.tekrevue.com/itunes-12-sidebar/

oh fuck. it was the only thing that made any sense.

how is it that nobody has made a replacement? it's not like anybody uses the itunes store anymore, do they?

ddt – July 30, 2014 07:07PM Reply Quote
Yup, that was the first thing I went poking for -- took me a while, but I got most of that. Still, I don't feel I should be FIGHTING the app to get to some basic functionality. It's like they hate certain use cases.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – July 30, 2014 08:31PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
App developers take note!

iTunesUnBorker™ could earn you millions!

bahamut – July 31, 2014 03:39AM Reply Quote
Yeah, I wonder what kind of UX and product review discussions go on in Apple? Are the high ups presidential, so busy in their tasks that they don't have time for using iTunes? Or do they have their every fetish catered for, as Steve did when he used an Thinkpad running Openstep because it was better than what Apple was making at the time?

I have pretty much given up using iTunes due to frustration. At first I was using Mog, but now that that's Beats, I've pretty much given up using Beats. So that leaves me with Audirvana Plus for computer-based music and Sirius XM in the car. I'm usually less an outlier than a bellwether on these things so Apple had better take note. Since the Apple Store is generally more expensive than Amazon for videos, we usually stick with Bezos's world for that.

ddt – July 31, 2014 06:11PM Reply Quote
That's a very good question.

The one person I know on iTunes (not dev or product at all) said s/he was very disappointed with 12. I asked why, and the response was, "I just expected something else".

ddt

Jeff Cooper – August 04, 2014 04:58PM Reply Quote
Finally got my invitation. Yosemite is downloading now. I have a spare old Mac that I was about to give my ex-wife for my kids' use at her house (yes, she ought to buy one herself--but she's not going to, and I do have a spare). I'll test Yosemite for a few weeks on it, then reinstall Mavericks and turn it over at the end of the month.

Jeff Cooper – August 04, 2014 05:58PM Reply Quote
All installed. It's odd not seeing Lucida Grande, but I'll adjust. The Finder icon is laughable, though. It was time for an update--the icon is maybe the last remaining relic of the bad old days of cloning--but this surely isn't the update it needed.

ARL (Moderator) – August 05, 2014 10:51PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Oh, so no Lucida Grande at all?

Has Apple done anything good Since Steve Jobs died?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login