Spork Boards

The Joy of Cooking

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – May 20, 2014 02:38PM Reply Quote
Yeah, we could have a section on cooking or on sex, but how about one on the little automated things that we've set up that make your soldier give a stiff little salute?

For example… 

bahamut – July 06, 2014 06:06PM Reply Quote
Johnny K, I was using the Range today and noticed that it's only alerts that transmit via iOS devices. Unless I'm wrong temperatures do not. That's a deal breaker for me since I need to know where my dish is. Am I mistaken about this? Can you change the code to allow temperature transmission options, even if it means greater power consumption?

johnny k – July 07, 2014 06:31PM Reply Quote
"Change the code" to stream temperatures in real time is not as easy as the push notifications we use for alerts. Bandwidth costs and making sure that we can serve hundreds of simultaneous streams reliably. But doable — it will come with v2.0 of the app which mostly depends on the new thing being funded. It will add this feature to the app for all Range models.

bahamut – July 09, 2014 03:27AM Reply Quote
thanks, johnny! i guess there aren't enough über geeks around to justify the excess coding, but couldn't there be a ranger server that i ran on my server.

johnny k – July 09, 2014 01:20PM Reply Quote
Well, enough people are asking for it that we'll try, but the work of coding and the likelihood that no one will pay for that functionality does put a damper on it. Having a server at home is an interesting idea but probably will appeal to fewer people, and will force you to configure your router to get data out of the home network. I could see doing a peer-to-peer thing on the local network, maybe.

bahamut – July 09, 2014 04:29PM Reply Quote
I've got both a server on both Dreamhost and on my Synology Diskstation so that's what I was thinking about…

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login