Spork Boards

Rugby World Cup

Mokers's Avatar Picture Mokers – December 13, 2007 10:42AM Reply Quote
Our sports thread.

ddt – September 16, 2015 05:37AM Reply Quote
Any of you sports fans out there know anything about numberFire or the company that bought them, FanDuel?

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – September 16, 2015 07:01AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I think football players are really good athletes. I don't watch the NFL much anymore and there isn't constant running like there is in some other sports, but to say they aren't physically fit or in shape would be wrong. I am a huge futbol fan(watch probably 10-20x as many minutes as a I do NFL a year), but there are plenty of soccer games that are hard to watch, with teams only getting 3 or 4 shots on goal the entire time and very long stretches of time where one team is not trying to score.

ARL (Moderator) – September 16, 2015 03:22PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Mokers,

What I meant is NFL players train for strength rather than stamina/endurance.

Definitely not saying they're unfit slobs - just sprinters rather than long distance.

Jeff Cooper – October 01, 2015 05:17PM Reply Quote
I spent my Saturday afternoon at the Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati watching this happen:

As a fan of the New York Mets since the age of six, and now living in Indianapolis (far from he Mets' home), I still have trouble believing how lucky I was to see the Mets clinch the NL East at the nearest NL ballpark to my home.

johnny k – October 01, 2015 08:34PM Reply Quote
Nice! I've skimmed by both their stadiums but never been inside. I'm hoping the Twins eke in this weekend.

ARL (Moderator) – October 01, 2015 09:22PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Um, the dude in red #22 looks like he hasn't missed many roast dinners (not that I can judge with my suspected gout).

Is there less emphasis on fitness in baseball?

[edit] Not that this didn't use to be downright celebrated downunder not that long ago...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2015 10:09PM by ARL.

johnny k – October 02, 2015 06:09AM Reply Quote
I believe that's a coach, Tony. But yeah, baseball isn't the most athletic of sports. http://www.menshealth.com/best-life/fat-baseball

ddt – October 02, 2015 10:20AM Reply Quote
Even Eddy Merckx got fat after he stopped racing professionally... .

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – October 03, 2015 02:39PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

Jeff Cooper – November 06, 2015 05:16PM Reply Quote
I've never understood New Zealand's pre-game haka ritual. I mean, I understand why the All-Blacks do it, but I don't understand why other teams just stand there stony-faced (with occasional exceptions). But this haka by the Air New Zealand ground crew as the All-Blacks' plane landed after the World Cup was pretty great.

Sorry, Tony.

ETA: One of the funniest sports hakas, at the New Zealand-USA 2015 FIBA World Cup game: serious "WTF" looks on the faces of the USA players, followed by polite, "isn't-that-cute?" applause. The haka is a lot more intimidating when performed by rugby players than by scrawny Kiwi hoopsters.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2015 05:25PM by Jeff Cooper.

Mokers (Moderator) – November 06, 2015 05:32PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I love that the new zealand basketball team is called the tall blacks.

ddt – November 06, 2015 07:47PM Reply Quote
Must make for a lot of confusion at Starbucks.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – November 07, 2015 05:16PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Jeff Cooper
I've never understood New Zealand's pre-game haka ritual. I mean, I understand why the All-Blacks do it, but I don't understand why other teams just stand there stony-faced (with occasional exceptions). But this haka by the Air New Zealand ground crew as the All-Blacks' plane landed after the World Cup was pretty great.

Sorry, Tony.

ETA: One of the funniest sports hakas, at the New Zealand-USA 2015 FIBA World Cup game: serious "WTF" looks on the faces of the USA players, followed by polite, "isn't-that-cute?" applause. The haka is a lot more intimidating when performed by rugby players than by scrawny Kiwi hoopsters.

I'm not Kiwi, but I do appreciate the Haka.

That said, there was a time the haka was not so intimidating...

(And there have been occasions opposing teams ignore or disrespect the Haka. It usually ends badly for the opposing side)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login