Spork Boards

Travel Channel: Where are you going today?

Robert Taylor – February 25, 2008 03:02PM Reply Quote
Thread for discussing travel...

Madaracs – October 06, 2008 06:57AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
Yes. Do. It fills up pretty quick. Erin and Gary are the best and will probably be on your tour. Gary has been a body guard for both Elvis and Hugh Hefner. That trip is great for the inexperienced hiker and kayaker. The kayaks are the open type used mostly on calm rivers. The river kayak is very leisurely and serene. After two miles you're ready to hike. Just make sure you have good sport sandles.

John Willoughby – October 06, 2008 09:24AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Detroit. I have to go to Detroit at the end of October for a service for my uncle. What are the good sites to book flights through, again?

Madaracs – October 06, 2008 09:41AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
There is only one choice: Priceline negotia-tor!

Shatnify.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2008 09:43AM by Madaracs.

ddt – October 06, 2008 10:46AM Reply Quote
kayak.com

ddt

John Willoughby – October 06, 2008 11:30AM Reply Quote
>kayak.com

That's the one that I was trying to remember! I kept saying, "Canoe... something?"

Robert Taylor – October 06, 2008 03:43PM Reply Quote
There's also sidestep.com, which is another aggregator.

El Jeffe – December 08, 2008 09:27AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
With all we've been through I'd like to see if I could afford a nice vacation with my wife.
Having never been out of the country, I'd welcome suggestions.

What's the cheapest Europe destination now; considering the dollar's value?
And what is the best destination, if one can only choose one place for the forseeable future?
Not sure how much physical stuff i'll be capable of, mind you. Perhaps the bus tour option would be safe for me.

Just curious if we could swing something. My wife and marriage deserves a nice time.

John Willoughby – December 08, 2008 09:59AM Reply Quote
Those tour bus things can be deadly. Up at 5 AM so bus can leave at six; drive by three historically fascinating sites to get to the tourist trap outlet store that pays kickbacks to the tour operators; 30 minutes to get lunch in a strange city... coincidentally the bus stops in front of the local pub that pays kickbacks to the tour operators, etc. Most of your fellow passengers will be 60+ years of age, and many will be peeved that foreign countries' customs aren't just like those of Boise. Still, I saw a lot of the UK on such a tour (if not in a lot of depth). The guides can be great, and ours was willing to take us off-script a bit to see some of the places that were not on the official tour.

stan adams – December 08, 2008 10:40AM Reply Quote
Well,no one that I know has ever complained about the grub in Italy, but given your condition...

Spain is great! Salt cod, blegh!!! And the home of molecular gastronomy. But seriously the values are quite good in Spain, and the country has a very extensive coast, from the Mediterrian climate in Valencia to the Atlantic of Bilbao, it is pretty neat country. Frankly more foreign seeming than France of Germany, though Spanish is pretty easy to pick up muy rapido ...

El Jeffe – December 08, 2008 11:04AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I've been listening to spanish lessons sometimes as much as 4 hours day for over a year, but not since my surgery. Though I really have not engaged anyone in conversation.

I am game for about anywhere that I can save some dollars. But not if it's the heart of some ex-USSR dilapidated area. Though, I could practice my Russian, perhaps. (hey, the google ads already picked up on this travel thing)

tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2008 12:15PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Prague and Amsterdam!

El Jeffe – December 08, 2008 12:18PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Are those really your top two choices?

tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2008 12:23PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Those are the only places I've been to in Europe, so yes!

tliet – December 08, 2008 12:24PM Reply Quote
I wouldn't consider Amsterdam cheap now, although the dollar has bounced back a lot since the spring. Agree about Prague though, that is one absolutely charming city at amazing low prices. Stay out of the city's centre though as that is expensive.

If you could stomach it, I've heard good stories about Budapest too, although both Prague and Budapest fall straight in the ex-USSR areas.

Scandinavian countries are beautiful too, I still want to go to Stockholm:

Although the 6 hours of daylight don't seem too appealing this time of year.

El Jeffe – December 08, 2008 12:32PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
okay, how am I to know where the dollar ain't doin' too badly?
I've never had to exchange currency or plan in that way, before.

ddt – December 08, 2008 12:32PM Reply Quote
salt cod... yum!

ddt

tliet – December 08, 2008 12:45PM Reply Quote
Well, the UK has become a lot cheaper with the pound slowly sinking away in their sea of debt. And Google has a nice currency converter:

Google:

1 pound in usd

or

1 euro in usd

The euro is used in all western european countries apart from Scandinavia and the UK.

India is also quite cheap ;-P

El Jeffe – December 08, 2008 12:59PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
lastminute.com (site59?) seems to offer the most flexible query approaching "Just tell me the cheapest vacation in europe, when flying from Indy, at anytime next year".

Indy to Europe - anytime:

Flight + Hotel
Your dates
from $540

Flight + Luxury Hotel
Your dates
from $549

Flight + Car
Your dates
from $608

Hotel + Car
Your dates
from $110

El Jeffe – December 08, 2008 05:42PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Listening to rick steves podcast now. His dec 6 is very good about Internet discounts.
Google it.

El Jeffe – December 10, 2008 10:58AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Just got this (Tony) in the mail...

I'd love for us to be able to do this....

$1199 for FOUR Aussie cities (flights incl.) plus some attraction.

http://www.qantasvacations.com/outback/?utm_campaign=outback&utm_medium=eblast&utm_source=kayak&utm_term=airpass

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login