Spork Boards

Travel Channel: Where are you going today?

Robert Taylor – February 25, 2008 03:02PM Reply Quote
Thread for discussing travel...

El Jeffe – September 26, 2016 12:22AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I got tons of THAT proof. Just not the DDTvBS encounter. :)
I was even on their TEE VEE... reporter on street stopped me for interview. Don't think it was live, and not sure it even aired.

El Jeffe – September 29, 2016 03:09PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Boss said he'd never seen a lower meal expense reimbursement request.
One meal was 58¢ for two bananas. :)
Total $23. (mostly bananas)

Again, love the hidden city fares. Saved $200 on the SAME FLIGHT by booking for/destination of Orange county, just did not get on the second flight.
skip lagged.com

El Jeffe – October 20, 2016 04:29AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Ended up driving or practically circumnavigating by Camry, Lake Erie and Lake Ontario past couple of days.
I will simplify my route by only selecting the main navigation markers here. But I think I did just under 2,000 miles since Saturday.
And Tues alone I was in car/on the road 12 hours driving (and having issues, stopping way too much for my liking. bad food?)
Started morning in Niagra Falls, and drove almost all the way around Lake Ontario in one sitting, ending up just on other side of Buffalo, again mainly because stomach issues forced me to rest.

Yesterday, Wednesday, after a full-night/morning until 5:30 am with again more stomach "and lower" issues, got sleep in 10 minute stretches, but packed up into the Camry of Freedom, and made it all the way from Buffalo back to Indy in roughly 9.5 hours or so. Google estimates that at 600 miles.

So my take-aways from this trip.

1. The impetus for this trip was to visit my son where he is co-op-ing (how does one spell the gerund forum of co-op?). FCA (most folks would know this as Chrysler) had an open house Saturday. Third overall, and first in 5 years. Me being a car nut this was like heroin. :) The FCA HQ is HUGE. 5,400,000 square feet all under one roof, so to speak. 15,000 people work there. http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=7054&mid= I could talk about my visit for hours. I think Apple Campus 2 is pegged/estimated at under 3,000,000 square feet. FCA is 500+ acres; Apple Campus 2 176 acres.

2. Toronto is vast, huge and horrible horrible traffic.
3. Ontario along the north side of Lake Ontario is not unlike Indiana. TONS of cornfields, and nice fall foliage-d tree lines. Not very rolling, nor peaky.
4. Tim Horton's must be Canada's NATIONAL FOOD. About 3 times more prevalent than McDonalds, if my observations are correct. And I can see why. Great bagels, donuts and such.
5. Ontario drivers' main goal in life is to ride your rear bumper at every opportunity... period.
6. Niagara Falls Canada side, just near the falls, is a breathtaking creation. Where the hotels are located in the town, is obscene.
7. I enjoyed the $1 US = $1.30 Canada. My brain never did switch over to metric (km) [Thanks God!] :) I did get used to driving on the wrong side of the road. (that's to see if you're reading this far)
8. Once back on USofA soil, (STOP READING HERE TO AVOID POLITICAL COMMENTARY) > Was surprised at the numbers of Battle Flags of the Confederacy exist in Oswego, NY. And overall dumbfounded by numbers of Trump/Pence signs in upstate NY, Pennsylvania and the like. And some of them HUGE. 4 foot by 8 foot banners.

Son works in Aero and Thermal engineering department. (heat, cold, wind tunnel, and noise/anechoic type stuff)

Here he is with Viper ACR in wind tunnel. Eerily quiet; and more like a strong breeze than a typhoon. His hair is lifted up by wind. Not his normal preferred look.

-20F and simulated snow chamber. We also UNKNOWINGLY were led into a -20F room. It was a totally unexpected sensation to all of a sudden become bone-chillingly cold. Son said "You should experience -40F", which the room can attain.

The whole center (HQ and CTC - Chrysler Technical Center) is like a HUGE MALL inside. Here is one of the multi-story intersecting pavilions, and all the areas have escalators.

The part I was excited to see were the design studio areas. No one ever gain entry there, for the most part... Here is a panorama of the "Design Dome".
Yep, it is a DOME. Lighting can be varied to give the staff a way to look at various design elements. Also, doors open to an outdoor plaza. I have SO MANY photos and videos of this area.

They also opened up the executive offices area on the 15th floor of the HQ tower, too. Free lunch/dinners were provided.

FCA HQ/CTC from above.

johnny k – October 20, 2016 05:56AM Reply Quote
That. Is. Awesome. Not a car nut but as a process nut, I'd love to have seen all that. The scale is impressive, too. Even if they're "dying", the car industry giants are massive.

Did a segment of that road trip last year, seeing a baseball game in Toronto, then driving to Detroit for another. Only had time to stop by the art museum to see the Rivera mural before the airport, though.

El Jeffe – October 20, 2016 06:40AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
My dream vacation would be to tour factories. I just missed being able to make Marysville Ohio's Honda plant tour by 30 minutes yesterday. Had I left NY a bit sooner, I'd have gone. Just to put into perspective, I visited that same plant's MUSEUM on our 25th Anniversary this year. And first place I went to in London was McLaren (automotive) showroom in Knightsbridge. :)

FCA is so big. I have seen the grounds from the street, but once inside it is totally unexpectedly massive. Great mix of engineers and operators explaining all the processes to people. And plenty of camouflaged cars that were around. They asked us not to photograph some things / areas. I keep telling my son to soak it all up. He said he's been to or sat in on some meetings and presentations that are not key/core to his current assignment, just so he can learn more. But he's also realizing how working 40 hours a week can be demanding and draining. I am still blown away that he has this opportunity at 18.

johnny k – October 20, 2016 07:57AM Reply Quote
Yeah, getting that early exposure is critical to setting you on a good path. I remember touring the injection molding facility where they made (among other things) Zip drives. That tells you how long ago this was. Injection molding in the US! But that was just because a friend's mother worked there. Without the context of careers, still took a while to sink in that there was a job in there for me. A lot of our jobs are hard to just discover. Need better informative resources.

ARL (Moderator) – October 20, 2016 04:08PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Looks an awesome trip. I'd forgotten how close places like Detriot (for eg) are to Canada.

El Jeffe – November 08, 2016 05:42PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
If any sporker/s could/would like to join.... I'd find that really cool...
Could cross-post with reciprocating mass...

I am almost completely committed to a trip to the UK surrounding June 22, 23, 24, 25 to coincide with the Goodwood Festival of Speed. https://www.goodwood.com/flagship-events/festival-of-speed/

Our dear Ron Burns is not far from this event.

Wife and I are just now forming plans, along with another couple/friends; and tonight perhaps two more. Early plans are for guys to attend 2 days or so at Goodwood (Fri/sat?), while ladies do their own thing. Either days before or after, guys and gals join up for another day or two of general socializing and tourism and such.

I am actually finding some flights that are fairly acceptable days before and after. just need to peg down our travel dates.
I wanted to give enough advance communication to facilitate proper planning.

If interested in what goes on at Goodwood FOS >
Here are the FULL REPLAYS - some of them are 9+ hours long
https://goo.gl/K4Rtv3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10f2ZTJs1bw - this one is 10+ hours long https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10f2ZTJs1bw
Keanu Reeves was a star in attendance this year https://youtu.be/hXlw9ij5bEs?t=5h28m44s

Ron Burns – November 09, 2016 02:02AM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
An hour and a half Bill...as ever, at your service..

El Jeffe – November 12, 2016 02:36AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Hey Ron, sir... could you check your email?
Thanks!

One step closer... just purchased weekend tickets (if credit card goes thru...) for Goodwood.
https://ticketing.goodwood.com/PagesPublic/UserControlled/UserDefined.aspx?page=Festival-of-Speed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2016 02:40AM by El Jeffe.

El Jeffe – November 29, 2016 11:42AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I just found Secret Flying.
So far I like their deals

http://www.secretflying.com/usa-deals/

Pair that with Skiplagged.com , kayak.com , momondo.com and if you're daring skyscanner.com/app (bcuz I've seen scams on it).

Dollar so strong that travel is possible.

(Been looking at/for UK stuff today)

bahamut – November 30, 2016 07:16PM Reply Quote
Thanks! Your dealspork postings always appreciated.

El Jeffe – January 13, 2017 12:13AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Tony,
Up for another USofA visit? Flights out of Sydney $784 RT.
http://www.secretflying.com/?p=53199

Fly to:
Los Angeles: $784 AUD (non-stop)
Las Vegas: $784 AUD
Atlanta: $804 AUD
Minneapolis: $804 AUD
Seattle: $804 AUD
Salt Lake City: $804 AUD

ARL (Moderator) – January 13, 2017 02:26AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Happy to take you for a jolly nice lunch/dinner (and, unlike with Mr & Mrs Mokers, my wheelchair will hopefully not break down) -- but I'm in Brisbane, not Sydney...

El Jeffe – January 13, 2017 12:22PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
well, I thought a cheap fare from Sid-knee might mean not that pricey to get to Sydney or just leave from brzzbnnnn proper. Shrug. Just saw the deal and wanted you to now. Could you smuggle me a koala?

John Willoughby – January 13, 2017 12:38PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!

ARL (Moderator) – January 13, 2017 02:41PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Jeffe,

Yep, there's a lot of direct flights from Brisbane back to LA/SF etc. so definitely let me know if you're heading my way.

Happy to be a half-day tour guide!

(And forget Koalas, you want a Quokka Selfie)

El Jeffe – January 14, 2017 02:57AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I woke up at 3 am from a dream where we travelled to see Tony. Australia as a whole was small enough to see in an afternoon. (dream, remember)
The main thing there was this large theme and water park. Some how Tony and I were able to fly around it first, and decide the areas we were going to visit.
Australia had aside from the park, one main building everyone (in the country) was in. I met some nice people in the building.

And in conclusion ... Australia is a fun place to visit and fly around above with my friend Tony.
The End.

ARL (Moderator) – January 14, 2017 03:18AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Lol...

El Jeffe – January 14, 2017 03:45AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
My first trip to Australia...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login