Spork Boards

Travel Channel: Where are you going today?

Robert Taylor – February 25, 2008 03:02PM Reply Quote
Thread for discussing travel...

El Jeffe – May 18, 2009 02:55AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I thought I saw some show that said the immigrants there are so plentiful, but there is a very high suicide rate by the males. IIRC

tliet – May 18, 2009 06:25PM Reply Quote
Yeah, they seem to have a high number of Asians here but I'm under the impression that's true for the whole west coast of NA. And indeed as Remy pointed out, there's virtually no African Americans around here.

Of course, there's the famous north west climate (continuous rain, just like home:-), but from downtown in 10 minutes into a forest is great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2009 06:28PM by tliet.

tliet – May 23, 2009 04:30PM Reply Quote
On Wednesday and Thursday we drove back from Vancouver to Calgary, taking the scenic route by going via Jasper over the Icefields Parkway. Driving these two days doesn't feel like traveling at all since I've been constantly in amazement over the changing scenery.

Mid May is the perfect time to travel like this this as we found out. While we still had some snow, driving conditions were perfect with very few cars on the road. And motels (as long as you keep out of places like Jasper) run around 80 CA$ a night for a decent room.

El Jeffe – May 23, 2009 05:31PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
snow?

tliet – May 23, 2009 06:55PM Reply Quote
Driving in the Rocky Mountains means sunny and 19 degrees centigrade at 10:00 changing into snowing and 1 degrees at 10:15 to be back at 15 degrees and sunny again at 10:30. Amazing weather changes in very short periods, I suspect it has to do with the peaks stopping clouds and other weather components from passing them. Of course, the altitude also matters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2009 06:57PM by tliet.

tliet – October 18, 2009 03:33PM Reply Quote
DPBD

So we've been travelling through New England the past 6 days and I must say wow... It has exceeded my expectations and then some... Johnny, I'm sorry but had to skip Boston. We'll do that another time.

johnny k – October 19, 2009 04:21AM Reply Quote
Bummer you aren't swinging by, but yeah, New England in the fall is pretty sweet. Where have you been? Though we just had a muck of rain and snow last night, about 2 months early.
CS, still thinking about coming 'round these parts? My busiest time is over, but my dad might visit soon or I'm visiting AZ one of these weekends.

El Jeffe – October 20, 2009 02:16AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
better stop spending those travel bucks frivolously ... you will soon have kids to pay for!!

tliet – October 20, 2009 11:37AM Reply Quote
Hmm, my girlfriend is long past the kids stage I'm afraid as she has a 18 year old daughter already, but yes, those cost money too! And indeed, this trip has been expensive but staying with friends on Manhattan made it much more doable.

Johnny, we went to Newport, Middletown in Rhode Island (my favourite state), Sandwich and a few other places on Cape Cod then Portsmouth, MA, a few small places in New Hampshire plus Hanover, a few small places in Vermont then Albany, New York and finally via Yonkers (where the Half Moon ship was located for a few weeks) back to Manhattan.

It's been the best holiday ever as we didn't see any other weather type than sunny with blue skies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2009 11:38AM by tliet.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – October 20, 2009 02:13PM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
Soups in Cape cod, isn't he?

tliet – October 21, 2009 10:01AM Reply Quote
Last I can remember he was in the Providence area, no? Where is he anyway, I think we've finally lost him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2009 10:02AM by tliet.

bahamut – October 21, 2009 05:57PM Reply Quote
Ya, Soup has been gone a long time. Yes, he was in Providence.

I miss Soup.

Ron Burns – October 22, 2009 12:53AM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
Ditto

El Jeffe – November 04, 2009 05:05AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Okay guys, if we have time, what should I try to see/do in Minneapolis area?

Got my car ready for the trip. (HA HA)

Dr Phred (Moderator) – November 05, 2009 09:12AM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
Well, drop by FirstTech! (my work).

Wanna come to an Al Franken fundraiser?

El Jeffe – November 05, 2009 10:37AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
You know, I like Al Franken ... and that's...okay. Very few 'kids' my age watched and liked Franken and Davis. Let alone Bob and Ray.

You guys work Sundays? (it appears)

tliet – November 07, 2009 09:00PM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – November 08, 2009 04:52AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
some of those are gorgeous.

stan adams – November 09, 2009 01:43PM Reply Quote
The shots are gorgeous as is Astedam, but in some the hdr processing really makes things stand out so much it looks more like a "set" than the real world. Maybe I am getting old, but I am pretty sure my eyes could not capture the extreme amount of contrast that some shots exhibit, especially those that seem to show off the internal illumination of buildings and such. Makes it seem like a "model railroad" or something. Not that don't like it /wish I could try it more, but it looks a bit odd to me...

tliet – November 09, 2009 07:38PM Reply Quote
It's indeed a bit enhanced but believe me when I say that these skies are not that uncommon overhere. The Dutch masters were of course famous for the specific light in their paintings. For some reason it's special.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login