Spork Boards

Developers, Developers, Developers!

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – February 25, 2008 12:31PM Reply Quote
Don't mind the pit-stains, greasy hair and Dorito breath. They've been busy coding. Or, at least, thinking about coding.

johnny k – June 05, 2017 09:23AM Reply Quote
Yeah, I may ask you about that at some point, thanks.

Anyone use Cordova/PhoneGap or React Native? Cordova seems popular among indie developers who need cross-platform, so I'm adding Range Dial support for people to write a temperature-reading app in web-language. Not too hard to write that glue, actually.

dharlow – June 05, 2017 09:31AM Reply Quote
Yup, we use it as clients don't have the money to pay for native on both.

johnny k – June 05, 2017 10:01AM Reply Quote
FM, or Cordova?

dharlow – June 05, 2017 10:22AM Reply Quote
Cordova/PhoneGap for custom apps meant for large user base.

ddt – June 05, 2017 10:55AM Reply Quote
The creator of Cordova/Phone Gap is pretty responsive on Twitter: @ChrisGriffith -- no idea if he's still on it, but he could refer you at least.

ddt

johnny k – June 05, 2017 12:29PM Reply Quote
Just asking to gauge general popularity or other preferences, as this is the first I've really gotten into Cordova. I've got a more or less functional library to make it stupid easy to connect to and read temperature from a Range Dial. If any of you with one wants to play with it, email me. If you've never used Cordova, it's pretty easy. You of course have to compile in Xcode, but otherwise you're making a web app, possibly pulling in some plugins to do some hardware interaction. There's one for BLE serial that made my job a lot simpler so I didn't have to write any native code, and in theory supports Android and even Windows Phone.

Ultimately, I'm going to try React Native as that actually uses the native graphics context of a platform, so you're drawing UIViews instead of web elements in a UIWebView for a much smoother experience. But this will serve all the devs I know who use Cordova - BeerSmith, for example.

ddt – June 05, 2017 03:52PM Reply Quote
Oh yeah, that's what I was talking with Chris about, years ago. Had made a mobile web app using jQuery Mobile (shut up, it's what I could pick up in a weekend hackathon) and the team was curious about turning into a "real" app.

ddt

John Willoughby – June 06, 2017 03:57PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
OK, THIS is going to hit me much harder than the end of 32-bit apps on iOS. I have a lot of older Mac programs that I still value.

ARL (Moderator) – June 06, 2017 05:30PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Is there an app (64-bit, presumably) that can tell you whether your apps are 32 or 64 bit?

I'll be really pissed if this means I can't use the CS6 suite and have to move to Adobes creative shakedown, er cloud.

(Yes, I know Microsoft does it too, but they're much cheaper)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2017 05:31PM by ARL.

John Willoughby – June 06, 2017 07:32PM Reply Quote
I don't have a Mac in front of me, but isn't there something in Get Info about the architecture(s) supported? Maybe not.

ARL (Moderator) – June 06, 2017 08:12PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Nope. Not on my version anyway. You can use activity monitor but that requires starting up every app.

CS6 is thankfully 64-bit. I'd have lost my shit if it wasn't...

johnny k – June 06, 2017 09:09PM Reply Quote
Hmm, I just have CS5. Looks like it's 32-bit, though I had to download Java to get it to launch so I guess I haven't cared about Illustrator since I bought Affinity Designer (which is 100% awesome). Good riddance!

ARL (Moderator) – June 06, 2017 09:41PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
johnny k
Hmm, I just have CS5. Looks like it's 32-bit, though I had to download Java to get it to launch so I guess I haven't cared about Illustrator since I bought Affinity Designer (which is 100% awesome). Good riddance!

What do you do for file compatibility?

johnny k – June 07, 2017 06:18AM Reply Quote
Affinity Designer opens Illustrator files. I don't worry about going back, so I don't care that it can't save Illustrator. I export to PDF for printers anyway. It's pro quality on production. Also way faster than Illustrator, more native, and didn't feel alien when I dipped my toes.

One of the big reasons I switched aside from modernity is export. It's a little funky in that you have a different "view" on your doc where you prescribe how different artboards or slices get exported, but I suppose that's not much different from Illustrator's export to web - except that it's another pane instead of a monolithic modal dialog. Once set up, it'll dump out everything in whatever format/resolutions you want with one click. Which is all but necessary when making assets for an iOS app and the multiple sizes you need to support.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2017 06:21AM by johnny k.

John Willoughby – June 07, 2017 11:14AM Reply Quote
ARL, try this: run System Information, then select "Applications." After the list populates, the far right column is "64-Bit Intel," and each application says "Yes" (or, presumably, "No.") I can't be certain of the latter, because I am looking at my VMWare emulated Mac and don't have many non-default apps installed.

ARL (Moderator) – June 07, 2017 04:20PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Holy fuck, I have a lot of 32-bit apps still. Most aren't used often or at all. But some definitely are.

Adobe CS6 Indesign, Flash (ha! good riddance), Fireworks, Dreamweaver and so on...

Angry Birds, Bejeweled 3, CSR Racing, Machinarium (no! not that one!), RealMyst

Diskwarrior, EyeTV, Kindle app, a shit-ton of Microsoft stuff (some may be legacy stuff but there's at least one office365 app), Toast.

And on it goes... Oh the horror!

El Jeffe – June 07, 2017 11:30PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
the 32-bit app thing is going to be PAINFUL

John Willoughby – June 08, 2017 06:05AM Reply Quote
I wonder if they'll get enough push back to reconsider the move. I doubt it.

porruka (Admin) – June 08, 2017 08:42AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Given the legit ability to run older Mac OSes in VMs, doesn't the relegate "the sky is falling" to "well, that'll be a pain"?

John Willoughby – June 08, 2017 08:45AM Reply Quote
How many of those VM's will be updated to be 64-bit? I haven't checked yet, but Basilisk II and SheepShaver are old enough to probably be 32-bit, and neither gets a lot of updates (or any?). Mini vMac has source code out there, but I don't know if it is under active development either.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login