Spork Boards

Developers, Developers, Developers!

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – February 25, 2008 05:31PM Reply Quote
Don't mind the pit-stains, greasy hair and Dorito breath. They've been busy coding. Or, at least, thinking about coding.

johnny k – October 12, 2016 10:32PM Reply Quote
Stupid Xcode 8. Had to update, though I hate to in the middle of a project. It killed off plugins, to replace them with a new architecture that's incomplete and doesn't do nearly as much. Critical to me is a plugin that highlights differences from the last checked-in version... great for finding the code you've been working on in a wall of text. Luckily there's MakeXcodeGr8Again. Hope that helps someone.

ddt – October 18, 2016 09:50PM Reply Quote
Is changing the settings in, uh, Settings the only way on iOS to tell the OS to open a file type with a particular app by default? I know there are share sheets, but that doesn't set "always open with...".

ddt

John Willoughby – January 10, 2017 07:16PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

dharlow – January 10, 2017 07:26PM Reply Quote
I imagine that was a fun conversation for Tim and team.

El Jeffe – January 10, 2017 07:32PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I just don't see Tesla thriving.

ARL (Moderator) – January 10, 2017 07:59PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
El Jeffe
I just don't see Tesla thriving.

Because Trump and the fossil fuel industry will bulldoze the place?

El Jeffe – January 10, 2017 08:28PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
No, they're a paper tiger. I love the tech. But they really have very little market weight to significant mass market manufacturing efficiencies.

John Willoughby – January 11, 2017 11:34AM Reply Quote
Apple mechanical engineer goes to Tesla.. (Not really a Developers post, but put here to be with Swift guy going to Tesla.) These are not dumb guys; I think that they think that Tesla has a future. I don't know about the long term potential of Tesla's cars, but I will bet that the technologies embodied in them and around them are going to be big going forward.

johnny k – January 11, 2017 01:22PM Reply Quote
Holy crap, debugging with NSLog in iOS 10 is a debacle. This is why I never update in the middle of developing a big release. But I did this time because I needed to check some bugs in 10.2. And now I can't see what's going on inside some frameworks.

johnny k – January 11, 2017 01:41PM Reply Quote
Okay, it was some framework silently failing because it didn't have a new permission it needed. Let it stand, upgrading in the middle of a developer cycle is not a good idea. Sad!

John Willoughby – January 11, 2017 01:46PM Reply Quote
Make sure that you check the "Run without errors" checkbox.

ddt – January 11, 2017 02:38PM Reply Quote
It's right after the "Run with scissors" checkbox.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – January 11, 2017 07:21PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
oh, ddt.

Cloudscout – January 12, 2017 12:15AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
They are very popular here in Norway. Government incentives make them quite attractive.

bahamut – January 14, 2017 09:58AM Reply Quote
Well I wouldn't say that about Tesla. So far they have made luxury vehicles.

How have they done?

If you look at BMW's sales over the last few years, there has been a drop in the sales. It's accountable for by Tesla poaching a significant portion of 700 series sales. In fact, Tesla is CRUSHING the competition. https://cleantechnica.com/2016/10/16/tesla-model-s-crushes-luxury-sedan-competition-q3-us-sales/

So Tesla has been successful where it set out to be. No other car manufacturer has done that, come from nowhere and destroyed an entire segment of the automobile market. None. What happens when the vaunted Tesla name becomes affordable for mere mortals? Watch out… 

Hmm… I think the stock is risky, but I might put some money down on it. It could be a good bet. Will have to investigate further.

On another note, it's remarkable that THIS is what BMW has put up as its electric car. Easily the worst vehicle they have ever made.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1105101_2017-bmw-i3-preview

johnny k – January 14, 2017 02:16PM Reply Quote
I was tempted to trade in my car and get a $12K Leaf. Didn't have time to do my usual amount of research (I just took better part of a week to study ceiling fans and now am a self-certified expert). Maybe next time a group buy comes around.

John Willoughby – January 14, 2017 02:47PM Reply Quote
Damn, good price, if it weren't for potentially shady marketing tricks.

johnny k – January 14, 2017 04:14PM Reply Quote
I also don't like that the local utility has virtual ownership of your charging station for three years including be able to replace it. Probably if I read the fine print, they can open it up to the public. But I will be tempted again if it comes back. Gotta get over my shallow opinions about looks. It doesn't have as much cargo room as my hatchback either.

John Willoughby – January 14, 2017 04:35PM Reply Quote
Well, I'm still nuts about mine, though my daughter's been awful hard on it. If she just hadn't broken the console display...

John Willoughby – January 24, 2017 05:35PM Reply Quote
What if Douglas Adams wrote JavaScript
babelscript-640x480.png

From What if Hemingway Wrote JavaScript.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login